Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
What's the battery life on the new series 1 ? I've been reading that its really bad, worse than the series 0 watch. For those with series 1 already, whats your usage like ?

chubbieone

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Ive only had it about 4 days, first day it sucked. 15% left from 6am-3:30pm, just regular usage.

I killed background app refresh, turned off the heart rate checking in the privacy settings, and dropped brightness down to lowest, and haptic and medium. Now, with the same usage, I have about %40 left at 3:30pm after slapping it on at 6am. YMMV of course.

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
I've had my S1 since this past Saturday and haven't noticed a difference in battery life from my S0 - I still have about 40% left when I hit the sack every night. I'm still at 100% now after having been wearing it for the last couple of hours. FWIW, mine was at 100% charge out of the box. I've read where a few folks had them sitting at 0% when they first got them. I'm not sure what to make of that, but there you have it.

Oh, and I have the brightness turned all the way up, haptic strength cranked, and the sound at about half-way -- same settings as my S0. And, I tend to play around with the watch a lot on any given day - checking complications, customizing faces, checking and sending messages and email, etc.

chubbieone

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I've had my S1 since this past Saturday and haven't noticed a difference in battery life from my S0 - I still have about 40% left when I hit the sack every night. I'm still at 100% now after having been wearing it for the last couple of hours. FWIW, mine was at 100% charge out of the box. I've read where a few folks had them sitting at 0% when they first got them. I'm not sure what to make of that, but there you have it.

Oh, and I have the brightness turned all the way up, haptic strength cranked, and the sound at about half-way -- same settings as my S0. And, I tend to play around with the watch a lot on any given day - checking complications, customizing faces, checking and sending messages and email, etc.

100% after a couple hours of wear? There's just no way I can believe that, sorry.

Huliodude

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
100% after a couple hours of wear? There's just no way I can believe that, sorry.

My series 1 is doing the same. Been wearing it since 7:45am and now it's 10am, shows 100% still. I've read a couple of texts on it, and the screen came on a bunch of times while driving to work. Heart rate turned on, haptic cranked up, no sound. Seems about as good as the series 0, but noticeably faster and smoother.

chubbieone

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Buffalo, NY
My series 1 is doing the same. Been wearing it since 7:45am and now it's 10am, shows 100% still. I've read a couple of texts on it, and the screen came on a bunch of times while driving to work. Heart rate turned on, haptic cranked up, no sound. Seems about as good as the series 0, but noticeably faster and smoother.

I stand corrected.

What am I doing wrong then?!

chubbieone

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I work in a Medical Facility where I walk in and out of a room that is radiation sealed, meaning there is lead and concrete in the walls, meaning there is no cellular reception. I keep my phone in my pocket and am obviously wearing the watch; do you think this could be draining the battery? Does the phone hunting for cellular reception in some way affect the watch?

Edit: FWIW, I have brightnes on low, haptic on 50% and no HR turned on, I have an ESPN complication and Weather complication, I am only checking time and reading the random notification. I have reduce motion turned on and transparency turned off.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I ordered the Series 2 which hasn't yet arrived, but my wife's Series 1 did. And she hasn't been super thrilled with the battery life. It's ended up being around 10-12 hours of battery life, from 100%-dead. We were hoping for something closer to 15-18 hours. Reducing screen brightness has helped a bit.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
The S1 as a smaller battery than the S2. With the increased processor power, I can't imagine that the S1 would last as long as the S2

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
S2 had a brighter screen and built in GPS. I can't imagine the S2 would last as long as the S1 despite the battery.

The brighter screen is only active outdoors or in very bright light so it's not really often and the gps only activates during an outdoor workout when the phone isn't nearby so that do will only happen rarely.

In the absence of great use of those two features I think the S2 should definitely give more battery life.

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
What watch face are you running, and what apps do you have installed? Any complications on the screen? I'm hoping to acheieve your battery prowess!
I switch faces a few times a day, depending on what I'm doing and/or feeling like. But, today, as an example, I started out with 'Numerals' with the date complication. Upon arriving at work, I switched over to 'Modular' with the weather comp in the main slot and sunrise/sunset, calendar, and battery along the bottom slots. I think I changed the color a couple of times as well. Right now, at 2:19pm Eastern, I'm at 86% battery. I've received and responded to a few texts along the way today, but short of that, I've just used the watch, well, like a watch.

Oh, and I have the following apps installed:

Native apps
  • Activity
  • Breathe
  • Calendar
  • Clock
  • Contacts
  • Health
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Phone
  • Photos
  • Wallet & Apple Pay
  • Weather
  • Workout
Non-native apps
  • AccuWeather
  • American Airlines
  • Charge
  • Duo
  • Google Maps
  • Hilton hotels
  • iTranslate
  • Marriott hotels
  • Shazam

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
The brighter screen is only active outdoors or in very bright light so it's not really often and the gps only activates during an outdoor workout when the phone isn't nearby so that do will only happen rarely.

In the absence of great use of those two features I think the S2 should definitely give more battery life.
The faster processor only drains more power during heavy computational tasks.

Apple lists the battery life as the same on both devises for a reason, because the S1 lasts longer :p

Reactions: saintforlife

chubbieone

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I switch faces a few times a day, depending on what I'm doing and/or feeling like. But, today, as an example, I started out with 'Numerals' with the date complication. Upon arriving at work, I switched over to 'Modular' with the weather comp in the main slot and sunrise/sunset, calendar, and battery along the bottom slots. I think I changed the color a couple of times as well. Right now, at 2:19pm Eastern, I'm at 86% battery. I've received and responded to a few texts along the way today, but short of that, I've just used the watch, well, like a watch.

Oh, and I have the following apps installed:

Native apps
  • Activity
  • Breathe
  • Calendar
  • Clock
  • Contacts
  • Health
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Phone
  • Photos
  • Wallet & Apple Pay
  • Weather
  • Workout
Non-native apps
  • AccuWeather
  • American Airlines
  • Charge
  • Duo
  • Google Maps
  • Hilton hotels
  • iTranslate
  • Marriott hotels
  • Shazam

My battery for sure is not behaving like yours. I'm gonna give it another few days to sort itself out but I may have to take a trip to the Apple Store.

I put mine on at 6:30am, and now at 8:09 I'm down to 12%. No workouts, heart rate off, brightness lowest, reduce motion on, transparency off.

I do have yahoo sorts and ESPN apps installed and background refreshing, perhaps it's one of those.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
With my series 1, I have been extremely impressed with my battery life so far. At the time of this writing, I am currently sitting at 72% after 15 hours! I think the battery life depends heavily on how the Apple Watch is used and what watch face is being used.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014

That's my point also, but we don't know how efficient is the new display compared to the old one when you are indoors.
Apple.com reports the same 18 hours for both models, but I'd like to see some real world benchmarks to compare s1 and s2
[doublepost=1474612580][/doublepost]
I work in a Medical Facility where I walk in and out of a room that is radiation sealed, meaning there is lead and concrete in the walls, meaning there is no cellular reception. I keep my phone in my pocket and am obviously wearing the watch; do you think this could be draining the battery? Does the phone hunting for cellular reception in some way affect the watch?

It shouldn't affect the Watch, but it drains battery fast on your iPhone

Reactions: chubbieone

chubbieone

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Buffalo, NY
With my series 1, I have been extremely impressed with my battery life so far. At the time of this writing, I am currently sitting at 72% after 15 hours! I think the battery life depends heavily on how the Apple Watch is used and what watch face is being used.

So... how are you using yours? What apps and what faces? Any settings turned off or adjusted? Background app refresh? Do you get many texts/notifications?

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
I found I was having worst battery life than my gen 0 apple watch initially. I tried killing background app refresh and it helped a bit, but not enough. What I found to be the battery killer was the dock that came with OS3 instead. I removed everything from the dock except the workout app I use every day for quick launch. All the other apps are just kept in the memory idling and drawing power.
Since then my battery life has been superb. I could probably get by two days on a charge if I needed to.

nav92

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2013
Mine lasts me 2 days. By the end of the day, I am at 40-50% and I still put it on charging stand before going to sleep so it doesn't bother me at all.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Went back to a first generation watch. 4 hours into the day I'm at 96%. 4 hours into yesterday on Series 1 I was at 75%.

Running WatchOS3, restored from the backup of the Series 1 with the same settings and everything. Same usage (barely any) both days. My S1 was a lemon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.