battery life, macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbusc, Oct 26, 2006.

1. jbusc macrumors member

May 21, 2006
    I have a white 2ghz macbook, bought it early august I guess..

I've been (loosely) tracking my battery life, both hours of usage as well as what coconutbattery reports..

For the first month and a half or so, I would have around 5250mAh to 5300mAh capacity ("original" capacity, 5200mAh)

Then, it dropped to about 5200mAh capacity after doing a monthly calibration, though the actual time the computer could operate actually went up, and held there a while.

Now, though, in the past 2-3 weeks or so the battery life has dropped significantly, from 5175mAh down to about 4900mAh, along with a marked drop in actual battery life (about 45 minutes to an hour less)

In recent days I have been busy at school draining it all the way until the battery indicator is red, then closing it up and recharging at home...this seems to contribute to the drop.

I would recalibrate, except the deep draining process seems to be the problem. Any ideas? Is a drop of 275mAh in a span of 2 weeks normal?
  2. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2006
    Don't know what is "normal", but 1 thing is good to know about modern batteries: they don't have a "memory" effect anymore like old NiCads. So draining and recharging does not revive your battery, just wears it out.
    A normal Lion battery has a life of about 200 - 250 cycles of charging/discharging.
    The discharging that Apple recommends is only to learn the OS the new (lower) capacity of the battery.
  3. elppa macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    After a full charge mine is reading as 1:31 left, yet only a few months ago it was indicating 4-4 1/2 hours.

It's gone from a current capacity of 5253mAh (85 battery load cycles) on the 6th October, to a a current charge of 4943mAh today (89 battery load cycles) (26th October).
  4. matt311rocks macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2006
    I'm down to 3025 max capacity after 100 cycles and 6 months on my white MacBook. Sometimes a full charge will tell me ~1:30 sometimes close to two hours. I hope this is not normal. I will probablly be calling applecare soon...

Edit: I have done several battery calibrations and reset the PMU which helps little if none at all.
  5. jbusc thread starter macrumors member

May 21, 2006
    mine is now 4849mAh (down from 4900mAh when I posted this, just yesterday)

I think that if it continues dropping at this rate, I will call applecare and see what they have to say.

(65 cycles and 4 months, if anyone is interested)
  6. shakerbaby macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2006
  7. elppa macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    After a full charge - should the battery give you more than 1 hour 30 minutes?

- Full Brightness
    - Bluetooth off
    - Airport off

This is with a current capacity of 5005mAH (96% of original capacity (5200mAh)).

I was getting a good 3-4 hours before - it's really plummeted in the last few week.s
  8. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2006

Attached Files:

9. elppa macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    It's £100 pounds for a new battery!

What on earth are you paying for...

A 13% drop in capacity means 2-3 hours drop in usage time.

That's absurd.
  10. trapperjohn117 macrumors newbie

Sep 13, 2006
    i keep mine plugged in most of the time but ive taken it for a couple of trips i still get around 2 1/2 hours a charge.