Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
10.1.1 is terrible on iPhone 6

Crazy jump from 30%, straight down to 1% in a matter of 30 seconds!

This iPhone 6 is only 5 months old. Received it as replacement unit.

Same problem with my launch iPhone 6. I'm pretty sure it started with iOS 10.1.1, phone shuts down around 15% battery.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I wanted to keep my 6s+ on the software it came with but iOS 10 had so many nice features that I just couldn't turn down. I love that 3D Touch is more useful now than it used to be.

Reactions: OGPrince

imex99

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Ohio
6b30ff1d28ff2e8bbc8ae778762d1447.png

Dan_999

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Ouch, not normal at all, you certainly need to get in touch with Apple. What are your settings? (Background app refresh, signal strength at home etc.)

Yeah definitely not. Going to book one asap, background off, full bars and this has never happened until last night

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Yeah definitely not. Going to book one asap, background off, full bars and this has never happened until last night
Good luck, let us know what happened. Last thought, did you install any new apps recently? Especially ones using location, though even that shouldn't eat up so much battery.

Dan_999

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Good luck, let us know what happened. Last thought, did you install any new apps recently? Especially ones using location, though even that shouldn't eat up so much battery.

I did not i only have 11 apps on my phone haha

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Slept at 100%, no apps open, woke up at 55%? iPhone 7+ Black 128GB :/
That's horrendous standby drain fella.. I sent my 7 off to apple repair last Friday due to 15% standby drain over night (that nothing will fix).. it's on it's way back to me tomorro.. so hopefully they've either fixed the problem or replaced it.

Rhambus

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016

The first thing I do when my battery life goes haywire is do a clean reset, set it up as a new iPhone, charge it up to full and use it like normal. Check SoT after 20% drain and estimate overall battery usage over the entire battery. If I've used 20% of my battery with anything less than an hour and a half of SoT, then I'd head up to an Apple store and get it checked out.

It could simply be an app keeping location services live all the time. Check those settings, see if it looks like something is keeping it pegged.
[doublepost=1481205240][/doublepost]
My plan was to stay on the old version until it was fixed. (Bahahahahha - we all know it's not going to be fixed!)

But my IT department just told us we need to update to iOS 10 by January. I'm literally going to wait until the last minute of the last day.

People who think iOS 10 is the sole factor of bad battery life do not understand how these devices work, and everything that factors into battery life. I've seen people complain about their battery life, and I'll ask them how long it has been since they have reset their device (done a factory reset), and they'll look at me like I'm stupid. I'll further explain what I mean, and they'll tell me they've never done that in the 3 years they've owned the device.

*flips over table* Really? Would you use your computer for 3 years without having any cleanups or maintenance done on it? Would you drive your car for 3 years without changing the oil? Why do people think they can use technology for years on end without doing any kind of maintenance to ensure these devices operate properly?

Well that's potentially the problem right there...

My friends used to make fun of me because I used to format my hard drive on my computer and reinstall Windows pretty regularly (every 3-5 months), and I do the same thing with my phone. It get a clean reset every 3 months or so. However, there is one thing I can say; my devices always perform just like they did out of the box.

These devices are like mini computers. There are some settings that get changed under the hood that cause things to go haywire where the only way to fix it is a nice clean reset and a fresh install. Why? It just happens. Devices will go rogue where they won't connect to Wi-Fi for example (we have an Apple TV doing that across the street). The Wi-Fi is fine, we all use it on a daily basis. The device simply needs to be wiped and set back up. This device probably hasn't been wiped since they got the thing, and there's no telling how long that has been.

So before you blame an "update" to your OS for your poor battery life, you should at least do a factory reset and set your device up as a new device (don't restore from a backup, that's going to bring in any settings back that may be contributing), and see how it performs then.

If it's still performing poorly then there is something going on deeper than just the OS. I've been running iOS for a while on varying generations of iDevices. iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 Plus (when I had it) and now an iPhone 7 Plus, and I have had nothing short of stellar battery life on all three devices.

And your IT department is right. You shouldn't be running on an old version of iOS (or any operating system for that matter). We require all company-issued devices to immediately be updated when an OS update is released, no exceptions, unless there are known issues with that revision that break things and cause issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

r0aritsieuan

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
iPhone 7, 4.7, guys is this normal/okay? Should I be getting more than this? Most settings are off

Attachments

• IMG_1958.PNG
    IMG_1958.PNG
    264.6 KB · Views: 205

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
iPhone 7, 4.7, guys is this normal/okay? Should I be getting more than this? Most settings are off
Depends on the apps used.

Again; if I turn off Siri I get 2 percent drain during the night, with Siri turned on (and he siri off) it drains 6 to 12

r0aritsieuan

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Depends on the apps used.

Again; if I turn off Siri I get 2 percent drain during the night, with Siri turned on (and he siri off) it drains 6 to 12

But I've seen most people get 8-10 hours of usage, surely turning off siri wouldn't hinder the performance that much?

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Paired my watch again after consistently making it through a day with 70 percent left. Within 3 hours I dropped 20 percent. God damnit what is up with IOS 10? It is NOT a hardware problem since I don't have drain in airplane mode, I Don't use my phone heavily because I work, but it still shows HOURS of usage I didn't engage in. Just because I have watch Paired.

I miss my iPhone 6, that thing would last LONGER with the watch paired.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
yeah my battery seems to be off also...
i mean if I'm at
usage 14hrs 35min
standby 16hrs 21min

but i was sleeping for 7hrs.....with it just on my nightstand...
dont you think the standby should be 7hrs higher not just 2 ?

drains very quick too..

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I miss my iPhone 6, that thing would last LONGER with the watch paired.

Well, as others in the thread have pointed out, even older devices are seeing this, including my 6.

This happened last year as well when 9.2 came out: my phone's battery meter/usage would be all over the place. Seeing similar with 10: quick drops in available power, occasional drops from (say) 40% to single digits, then back to 40% as soon as phone plugged into charger. Once 9.2.1 was released, battery life was normal again.

Why the software behind battery usage/reporting keeps breaking between releases seems odd: you'd figure that that is a core component and not be changing frequently or at all.

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
Maybe it's too early to tell but battery life seems to be better after getting the battery swapped by the replacement program.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Don't know if this was reported earlier (too many posts/pages to go through), but, had an interesting thing happen.

Ala my earlier post, had phone go from 43% to 1% instantly. Shut down and gave the "plug it in" icon. After a couple of minutes sitting (out of the house and no charger close), rebooted with no issue and back to 43%.

As I'm guessing from last year, serious software issue that keeps getting re-introduced on new releases. Why some releases amd others not... odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.