Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Can't trade in My ipad 2, it just wont get any value.

Nonsense to get the Air then because its same screen size.

Might try to order Ipad mini retina then. What else is good beside the chip and the better PPI?

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hmm, I've gone through 2 airs so far and both of them I was lucky to get slightly over 10 hours. And I had the brightness no higher than 50%.

On my third now, hoping this one gets the battery life I'm seeing reported from everyone else. Not too hopeful though since I've lost 5% in the 30 minutes I've been downloading apps with the screen completely off most of that time.

As someone else mentioned, it takes a few charges before the battery is at it best. I'll post my screen shots later from each cycle which does show how it's improved each time.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Considering 80% of iPad body filled with batterycells what do you expect? It's essentially a battery glued with modem and display. Of course it HAS to be great! :D

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Considering 80% of iPad body filled with batterycells what do you expect? It's essentially a battery glued with modem and display. Of course it HAS to be great! :D

The thing that gets me is how Apple haven't used it better in their marketing. They quoted 10 hours, even saying 12 hours would have been enough to warrant a mention!

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
I still have a third of my battery left after 10 hrs and 20 mins usage! Incredible!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 74

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Mine from last night. My first charge was 13 hours, second 16 hours :D

Attachments

• IMG_0012.PNG
    IMG_0012.PNG
    251.2 KB · Views: 69

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
The thing that gets me is how Apple haven't used it better in their marketing. They quoted 10 hours, even saying 12 hours would have been enough to warrant a mention!

Yeah I'm wondering about that too. It's rare for a tech company to not show off or even exaggerate its product's battery life. In the case of iPad, it's even underrated. Maybe Apple is afraid of showing how good iPad battery life so it doesn't outshine Macbook Air or iPad Mini? In many cases iPad and Macbook Air has the same demographic; Casual users.

Showing a too good battery life campaign in the iPad may cannibalize it. I don't know. Silly theory but possible, right? :D

I still have a third of my battery left after 10 hrs and 20 mins usage! Incredible!

For a moment there I thought your usage time is 19 hours 20 mins .. LOL, Damn pic compression .. Yeah I have about the same usage time on my Air. Almost 12 hours of usage until the battery drains out

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Yeah I'm wondering about that too. It's rare for a tech company to not show off or even exaggerate its product's battery life. In the case of iPad, it's even underrated. Maybe Apple is afraid of showing how good iPad battery life so it doesn't outshine Macbook Air or iPad Mini? In many cases iPad and Macbook Air has the same demographic; Casual users.

Showing a too good battery life campaign in the iPad may cannibalize it. I don't know. Silly theory but possible, right? :D

You maybe right, but, selling points are selling points. iPad have been taking laptop sales away for a while now I would have thought.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Hmm, I've gone through 2 airs so far and both of them I was lucky to get slightly over 10 hours. And I had the brightness no higher than 50%.

On my third now, hoping this one gets the battery life I'm seeing reported from everyone else. Not too hopeful though since I've lost 5% in the 30 minutes I've been downloading apps with the screen completely off most of that time.

Just wondering why you are the third one?

Yeah, wondering the same thing. Why are you on your third? :confused:

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Florida :/
Yeah, wondering the same thing. Why are you on your third? :confused:

Because I haven't been happy with the battery at all.

It's not like I returned them right away either. I completely discharged both iPads a couple of times and used them for about 7 days each (recharging pretty much everyday).

Now this one has some pretty bad light bleed. One more time and I'm done.

Btw, I'm really not a serial returner. I don't think I've ever returned an electronics product before besides a PSP.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Because I haven't been happy with the battery at all.

It's not like I returned them right away either. I completely discharged both iPads a couple of times and used them for about 7 days each (recharging pretty much everyday).

Now this one has some pretty bad light bleed. One more time and I'm done.

Btw, I'm really not a serial returner. I don't think I've ever returned an electronics product before besides a PSP.

I was just curious. If you're not happy, you're not happy. Do what you need to do. :cool:

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012

My mini currently reads 17 hours usage, 14 days 15 hours standby. In reality I've used it for no more than two hours. The rest is "usage" it has invented. It's an utterly and completely meaningless statistic and most of the battery threads are stupid and nonsensical. Even if you were to time the actual use with a stop watch, it's still not a very comparable number since there are so many factors. I don't think your numbers really sound unreasonable and I don't think there's been anything wrong with your iPads (from a battery perspective).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.