Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
~Shard~ said:
Conan is a comic genius, but I understand if you don't like his style - it's not for everyone. I enjoyed his work way back with SNL and the Simpsons though, years before he even had his Late Night Show. And in a few years he will be taking over the Tonight Show, which says a lot. :cool:

I agree! Conan is so freakin hilarious...ive been watchin his show everyday (except friday nights) since 95....i wish they were $1 as well..

Edit: DARN!!!!!!!!! after reading that you pay $1.99 for only a couple of minutes, and $10 for 1 hour episode...that SUCKS!!!! I agree...i would pay for a subscription service for tv shows..

Lertie32

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
CA
Watching wish list

OK, I'm a little surprised, but we all knew this day had to come to keep the iTMS video content alive.

NBC - Where is "The Apprentice"? "Law & Order - Criminal Intent" and "Crossing Jordan"? And HOW could you forget "The West Wing"?!? And "Medium"...

ABC - Where is that new Geena Davis prez show?

SCIFI - What about "Dead Zone" and "Firefly"?

Nice debuts over all though...

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Lertie32 said:
OK, I'm a little surprised, but we all knew this day had to come to keep the iTMS video content alive.

NBC - Where is "The Apprentice"? "Law & Order - Criminal Intent" and "Crossing Jordan"? And HOW could you forget "The West Wing"?!?

ABC - Where is that new Geena Davis prez show?

SCIFI - What about "Dead Zone" and "Firefly"?

Nice debuts over all though...

CNET figured it out...apparently, the shows that are in the iTunes Music Store are PRODUCED and DISTRIBUTED by the same company. West Wing, however, is produced by Warner and distributed by NBC, and because these two companies apparently haven't worked out a deal on how to split profits, West Wing cannot be put in the Music Store.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It's about time all the other networks jump on the iTMS train...

and I still want Medium from NBC, and Invasion & Commander and Chief from ABC.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Ok, waded through all the complaining. Let's get a few facts straight.

-These deals are ground breaking. It's content in a new way. By no means do I want to buy low res videos to view on my iPod (but many do). This is merely a first step. Apple needs to accept what they can get and prove it a viable money maker for content owners. Then Jobs can get higher resolution downloads.

-If this model proves successful (and it looks like it is), Apple will have to release a larger product to view higher resolution, larger videos.

- For all you wishing for other shows, only those shows owned by ONE company are part of these deals. Many of the shows being requested are owned by 2 or more companies and distributed by a network. It will be quite some time until these are available for d/l.

-Rumors of an Apple DVR? I say no way, this deal shows that they are behind iTMS as a distributor of video content.

Now that NBC/Universal is on board, I expect the other majors (CBS and FOX) to jump on board along with their cable properties. I think pay cable channels (HBO, Showtime) are less likely. They are all about subscribers and DVD sales. Maybe their older series that are no longer earning much like Oz.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
CNET figured it out...apparently, the shows that are in the iTunes Music Store are PRODUCED and DISTRIBUTED by the same company. West Wing, however, is produced by Warner and distributed by NBC, and because these two companies apparently haven't worked out a deal on how to split profits, West Wing cannot be put in the Music Store.

I see where the complications come from, but there should still be some sort of precident to base things on. The deal for iTunes sales within each company might be different between ABC and NBC, leading to roadblocks. Still, combined projects still get syndicated eventually. The iTunes model cannot be that unique, but rather an extension on some syndication/DVD model. Whatever arrangements already exist for those other channels should be simple enough to transfer to iTunes. Its just a matter of drawing up the paperwork, getting the parties to agree to their shares, and reformating/hosting the content through iTunes.

The fact that NBC was able to get agreements on their current offerings so quickly seems to suggest that the iTunes terms are very similar to ones they've seen (and agreed to) previously, in another format.

Hopefully now that two major networks are using Apple, the other two will follow quickly after. Fox looks like the next in line, although the fact we've heard about Fox and not about NBC bothers me. Possibly Fox leaked that out to put pressure on Apple to agree to new terms (rumors get going about Fox content, leading to Apple getting requests for certain Fox shows, leading to Fox having a stronger bargining chip for negotiations).

Hopefully by Christmas so everyone with new iPods has plenty of content to buy.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
rdowns said:
-Rumors of an Apple DVR? I say no way, this deal shows that they are behind iTMS as a distributor of video content.

Not necessarily. They could find a way to integrate this system into a media center. Or, a way to share the things you buy from your Mac to the media center.=.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
AJ Muni said:
DARN!!!!!!!!! after reading that you pay $1.99 for only a couple of minutes, and $10 for 1 hour episode...that SUCKS!!!! I agree...i would pay for a subscription service for tv shows..

Just a different form of podcasting, that's all - subscription podcasting, episodes automatically downloaded every week to your iPod. :cool:

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Hey... I've never seen Battlestar Galactica before (I dont' have cable). I was wondering where to start: season 1 or the miniseries?

edit:
Oh... And if I start w/ season 1, where in the timeline does the miniseries fall? The music store is not really clear on the chronology. Thanks.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
GorillaPaws said:
Hey... I've never seen Battlestar Galactica before (I dont' have cable). I was wondering where to start: season 1 or the miniseries?

edit:
Oh... And if I start w/ season 1, where in the timeline does the miniseries fall? The music store is not really clear on the chronology. Thanks.
Start with the miniseries. It precedes season 1 and you won't want to miss it.

Chris

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I heard that Season 1 is fine to start with too. I was told this after balking at paying the 16 bucks for the entire miniseries. I wish the miniseries had more reasonable pricing, or was at least sold in individual shows.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
madmaxmedia said:
I heard that Season 1 is fine to start with too. I was told this after balking at paying the 16 bucks for the entire miniseries. I wish the miniseries had more reasonable pricing, or was at least sold in individual shows.
I guess the miniseries episodes cost twice as much because they're twice as long. in any case, I think you'll want them. That's where the entire story is set up and the main characters are introduced.

Chris

nubrandon

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2005
Berlin, Germany
I hope this whole res thing gets fixed before the studios start to think they can double charge some schmuck for 2 versions of Thats So Raven for the ipod & DVD. The music is still at 128k & the catalog has grown so big now there is no point to re encode unless the masses start to flip out but they wont. I would gladly pay 1.99 per episode if the res was higher. I might even do it now if they had some simpsons episodes on. They need to boost the res & create an itunes plugin to further compress the video when uploading to your ipod.
As far as content from other countries are concerned. The studios are missing out on alot if the video content is not world wide. There are tons of military or even fans of syndicated shows in other countries. Why not make it available to the ITMS Russia (if there is one)?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
chabig said:
I guess the miniseries episodes cost twice as much because they're twice as long. in any case, I think you'll want them. That's where the entire story is set up and the main characters are introduced.

Chris

They are twice as long as the regular show, but other TV shows are an hour long (Lost, etc.) but cost only $1.99.

I completely get your logic, but then what would a full-length Leno episode cost if a 2-minute sketch is $1.99? ;)

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
nubrandon said:
I hope this whole res thing gets fixed before the studios start to think they can double charge some schmuck for 2 versions of Thats So Raven for the ipod & DVD. The music is still at 128k & the catalog has grown so big now there is no point to re encode unless the masses start to flip out but they wont. I would gladly pay 1.99 per episode if the res was higher. I might even do it now if they had some simpsons episodes on. They need to boost the res & create an itunes plugin to further compress the video when uploading to your ipod.
As far as content from other countries are concerned. The studios are missing out on alot if the video content is not world wide. There are tons of military or even fans of syndicated shows in other countries. Why not make it available to the ITMS Russia (if there is one)?

I completely agree about the quality thing, but the thing is is that higher resolution versions are just not practical given their main playback device (iPods.)

To download say VGA H264, and then have to re-encode to put on an iPod would take way too long. Many people don't really notice or care about the resolution (it actually scales well on most all analog TV sets and of course looks fine on the iPod itself), but would definitely hate having to encode overnight just to play a show on the iPod.

In a year or so, the iPods will hopefully be capable of say VGA H264 playback, and the shows could then be in that format as well.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
GorillaPaws said:

The miniseries is "season 0." Start there for sure. Don't start with season "1."

You COULD catch on and follow SOME things starting in the middle (as with most shows), but you'll miss a lot and things won't all make sense. I even had to RE-watch the miniseries to answer some important questions.

Plus, the miniseries has some neat surprises, and watching the later episodes would spoil them.

Besides, Serenity makes a cameo in the miniseries :D (And vice versa??)

The good news: Netflix and rental stores have BSG miniseries and season 1. (And soon, season 2... which I think is really HALF of season 2, since BSG resumes in a couple months.)

So you could rent the mini-series to save $$ and then check out season 1 by any means you choose. (I'd suggest renting them all: they're meant to be widescreen, and apparently iTMS has them cropped for iPod.)

madmaxmedia said:
To download say VGA H264, and then have to re-encode to put on an iPod would take way too long. Many people don't really notice or care about the resolution (it actually scales well on most all analog TV sets and of course looks fine on the iPod itself), but would definitely hate having to encode overnight just to play a show on the iPod.
The ultimate will be (one far day when bandwidth is dirt cheap?) content that downloads in dual format. Full HDTV AND iPod-ready versions both--and no extra conversion needed. Someday.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
briangrapes said:
I also would have liked to see The Apprentice offered as well. I've missed a few episodes lately (studying...bah).

And for the record, both Conan and The Apprentice are good.
Me too, I would have liked to see The Apprentice offered, but maybe it will be soon. I'd like to see some BBC and Australian TV networks sign up as well.

jacobweber

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2003
Wow, Apple got some major (and really ****ing obvious) product placement in the latest episode of The Office. Couldn't they at least try to be subtle about this sort of thing?

iDM

macrumors 6502a
This is so extremely exciting especially because i could careless about any of the videos they have to offer, besides how hot Eva from Desperate Housewives is NONE of the offered shows interest me and the only thing that I have even THOUGHT about buying have been the Pixar shorts. I guess this is a step in the right direction however so Yay for that!

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2005
I want NBC's "Las Vegas" please. Disappointed it's not in the offing yet, but hopefully will be soon. I've already sent in my request to the iTMS.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Oh, man, think of the chaos that will ensue when they start discussing licensing issues for videos in Europe. It'll be a mess. I guess we won't have video downloads in Norway before 2008.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
shadowmoses said:
Thinksecret posted about this a couple minutes ago........

Link

It's great but now i want to see apple introduce TV content to non US stores, although i think this will happen in january..

SHadow

Maybe not in January SHadow, but i sure hope your right. Won't it depend on the license and broadcasting laws in each country? I think that sort of thing takes time, at least thats how it seemed with the music side of iTunes.

I can't wait till January.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Stella said:
Apple need to start negotiating with tv channels from other countries.

do you really think apple doesnt already know this :)

your time will come grasshopper;)

P.S.
I'm downloading battlestar galactica to take with me to the hospital while i wait, wait, wait and wait for an operation. thank you apple.

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
Frontrow 2.0

rdowns said:
Ok, waded through all the complaining. Let's get a few facts straight.

-These deals are ground breaking. It's content in a new way. By no means do I want to buy low res videos to view on my iPod (but many do). This is merely a first step. Apple needs to accept what they can get and prove it a viable money maker for content owners. Then Jobs can get higher resolution downloads.

-If this model proves successful (and it looks like it is), Apple will have to release a larger product to view higher resolution, larger videos.

- For all you wishing for other shows, only those shows owned by ONE company are part of these deals. Many of the shows being requested are owned by 2 or more companies and distributed by a network. It will be quite some time until these are available for d/l.

Just a comment. I'd like to see Frontrow 2.0 support DVR (Hey, and what about choosing internet Radio too?) and I think it likely. I'm hoping that Frontrow is extensible so that companies like Miglia and El Gato can simply plug into Front Row. I have an Alchemy TV DVR card in my Mac and I enjoy watching TV while working. I almost never use the DVR feature except on very rare occassions. The reason, is that the current product does not allow you to watch one channel while recording another and two, when recording a 2 hour movie the resulting file (at 640 x 480) is larger than a ripped DVD using MactheRipper! So, I usually rip the show at 320 x 240 which is about the size of the iPod videos. The difference though, and the reason why I like the option (which is what this should be all about) of downloading TV shows off of iTunes is that the quality of the download, even at 320 x 240ish looks a whole lot better than the DVR at 640 X 480 and it's been edited for commercials. I'm not about to sit there, import the movie into Quicktime (or some other program), edit the commercials, save the file again, etc. etc. The other thing I'm more likely to do is to rip a DVD (say of Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek TV series) using Handbrake, save each episode as a single Quicktime movie file (which means I need to make decisions about resolution again-so far I'll change the video settings to 480 x 282ish resulting in a Quicktime file of about 256MB for a 45 minute episode) This is a time consuming process at best, often taking between 1-2 hours per episode on my G4 Powermac. Again, downloading the episode I want to watch from iTMS take only minutes on broadband saving a lot of time.

I do expect Apple (or someone) to begin offering not just TV content to download but movie content to download as well. I'm a big fan of NetFlix but I can see the day when even they go all digital with some sort of DRM for movies you download as rentals and movies you download to own.

Finally, wouldn't it be great if Cable Television went away and it all became just internetTV? I'd love to have an entire planet full of content to choose from. I've always thought that a menu system of programming in which the subscriber gets to pick and choose the content they want to pay for rather than the "Basic, Standard, Premium" cable all or nothing option currently offered would be a much better system. iTMS may be the beginning of this type of system. 5 years from now, there may be alot more of us that don't have land lines for telephone service and don't subscibe to cable TV for television content. Podcasts have killed on-air radio for me and I'm happy to see that body buried! A lot has happened in the last year and I think the developments we see now and those to come in 2006 is the beginning of a new paradigm shift in multi-media content delivery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.