Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Browser doesn't matter, I've tried it with Safari, Chrome and Firefox, but many times when I save images from the internet, I get beachballing for as long as 30 seconds sometimes. It's really annoying when you're trying to save several images. Doesn't do it with anything else. One tab open or twenty, doesn't matter.

I can't figure out why it's doing it. Never did it on my old OSes. I'm not sure if it did it before my SSD but I'm pretty sure it did.

Macbook unibody aluminum late 2008
El Capitan
8GB RAM
480GB SSD.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
At the moment I have 3.67GB available but it's been doing it even since I've had way more available.

Never heard of TRIM before.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Thanks. Keeping 10% free is never going to happen though. Not with the way I use drives.

How concerned should I be with enabling TRIM without backing up first? How likely am I to lose data? Is it a given or a warning issued because it happens to 1 out of 10,000 people? In other words, how high is the risk? I don't have the space to do a backup right now but I'm getting tired of this performance.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Sorry. I don't know anything beyond what is in those article. You are going to have to assess the risks and benefits yourself. Also, if you don't archive some stuff to keep more free space on your drive, you can't expect to have decent performance.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks. Keeping 10% free is never going to happen though. Not with the way I use drives.

How concerned should I be with enabling TRIM without backing up first? How likely am I to lose data? Is it a given or a warning issued because it happens to 1 out of 10,000 people? In other words, how high is the risk? I don't have the space to do a backup right now but I'm getting tired of this performance.
That article is mistaken and there is no issue with TRIM and the drives listed. That was only ever Linux issue and does not impact OS X.

I'd say there is close to zero chance enabling TRIM will cause you any troubles. I also doubt enabling TRIM will fix your problem. Not having TRIM enabled can reduce write speeds over time, but not to the degree you are describing where saving a simple image causes a beachball. Are you seeing any other issue like really slow app launches?

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… when I save images … beachballing …

Does it occur whilst you wait for the save dialogue to appear?

Or whilst you wait for the dialogue to be populated with information about existing files in the file system?

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Just an update. I decided to enable TRIM. No change.
I then decided to backup my documents and important files and do a fresh install of Yosemite (an OS that worked great for me before upgrading to El Capitan). Same problem. The difference is that Yosemite freezes my whole machine for up to a minute on almost every image save, whereas El Capitan froze only my browser for up to 5-7 minutes at a time but only every so many images (say every 10-20 images). This is crazy, what is going on?

The only thing I can think of is that newer updates to Yosemite(which is what I installed) have the same issues as El Capitan. That Apple did something in both OSes that made my older macbook freeze up on image saves.

So just for fun I decided to install Windows 7 32bit using bootcamp. Smooth as silk. Super fast. No freezing or slow down at all on image saves. But this is not ideal. I want to use Mac OS on my mac.

Samford

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
I had lots of beachballs, for a few days thought it was a drive playing up. In the process of elimination I decided to run Font Book.app and check for duplicates and validate fonts. Yes a few duplicates BUT 3 badly damaged fonts found. Non English fonts so I deleted them and since then no beachballing.

So the basics often trip us up.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Thanks. Keeping 10% free is never going to happen though. Not with the way I use drives

Then you will likely have similar issues. The 3.5 or so GB you have free likely isn't in one place, it will be fragmented. The OS is likely trying to find space to store those images as well as using the drive space for its own caching/logging etc purposes. They recommend 10% for a reason, 5% <may> be enough, sub 1% though....? Buy a bigger drive. Buy a 2nd drive, archive some stuff off.

Reactions: Samford

Samford

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
Your problem is quite simple you have run out of drive space. So 3.5 GB is gobbled up by running system and application casche, has no room to move files, hence no room at the inn. Only a matter of time till you damage the hidden desktop file index and it all comes crashing down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.