Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Doesn't seem to be programmed for your average 55 year old white US male.

It's akin to having a car radio with one pushbutton stuck on a station you don't like.

I'm sure this is something Apple could never have foreseen; that people are all not 25 year urban hipsters. Who knew?

I'm sure Eddy Cue and Tim Cook (also middle aged white men) could have noticed they don't like their own single station.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
So they don't have the great music from the 60's to 80's. It is no show for me then. I hate all the horrible music from today except for Smooth Jazz.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Ok, so pick a different radio station (Beats 1 isn't the only station) or stream your own playlist of music you like. Beats 1 is just one station, it will be impossible to please everyone's taste on a single station.

Reactions: bbfc and motulist

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Beats 1 is just one station, it will be impossible to please everyone's taste on a single station.

That's kind of my point. Why the huge fuss over 24-7-worldwide-hand-curated-by-really-cool-people-for-a-single-interest-group?

If there is other stuff, it's not popped up in my iTunes yet. Plus I have to pay for that (after the trial of course)>

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
It's fine that they offer it but I've never understood why they are making a big deal out of Beats 1. It is a single radio station that can never appeal to everyone. There is nothing really exciting about it. It was clearly created with music labels and artists in mind and not listeners.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma

It's akin to having a car radio with one pushbutton stuck on a station you don't like.

I'm sure this is something Apple could never have foreseen; that people are all not 25 year urban hipsters. Who knew?

I'm sure Eddy Cue and Tim Cook (also middle aged white men) could have noticed they don't like their own single station.

you mean you can't find any of the other stations appealing ?

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Or, you know, maybe Eddy Cue and Tim Cook do like Beats 1 and you're just generalizing a little bit...

Could be. But given the only evidence I have for how they dress, speak, act, and where and when they were raised, I'm making an observant guess. They are not the Beats 1 demographic on the face of it.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm heading inexorably towards my half century and I've enjoyed listening to Beats 1 today - naturally some of the music isn't what I'd normally listen to but I've heard a lot of stuff I hadn't heard before and would want to listen to again which I guess is the point of a radio station ;).
I don't think I'll listen to it all day every day, but I'll definitely listen in to it quite often.

Reactions: motulist

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
you mean you can't find any of the other stations appealing ?

But how are those stations curated? Equally cool people programming live on a world-wide basis? I did not get that impression from the keynote and subsequent hype-sters.

I do and have listen to Apple Radio. Got my Steve Miller station rocking away now.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Sure, Beats 1 is targeting a single interest group. But one could argue that it's target the single largest interest group. That's why it's called Pop Music. It's popular.

If you don't like it, there are still plenty of other genres available to cater to every taste. The only thing is that it's not live and not curated by a human DJ.

I haven't signed up to see what genres the other live Beats radio stations are, but maybe they'll have something to suit your tastes. You have 90 days to decide if you like it.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
That's kind of my point. Why the huge fuss over 24-7-worldwide-hand-curated-by-really-cool-people-for-a-single-interest-group?

If there is other stuff, it's not popped up in my iTunes yet. Plus I have to pay for that (after the trial of course)>

It's simply marketing a single feature that the largest group of streamers (under 25s) might like, it's to drive these people to Apple Music and more people on it, the more revenue it generates. It's simply a tool to make more money in the end.

1. Beats 1 is free for everyone to tune into, you're not paying for it. Beats 1 is just a single feature in Apple Music that's tailored for a specific group.
2. The largest market share for streaming music is the under 25s, which is what they are aiming for with Beats 1 and the music they're playing so far, actually fits.

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I'm in my early 40's and I'm really digging Beats One. Not as "poppy" as I anticipated. The music played has been all over the place and I've heard some really random songs and some pretty good which I've added to my library. Julie Adenuga's show (UK DJ) is pretty good. And Zane is not bad either. The only hour I haven't enjoyed was the NYC 2-3pm block.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
I'm in my early 40's and I'm really digging Beats One. Not as "poppy" as I anticipated. The music played has been all over the place and I've heard some really random songs and some pretty good which I've added to my library. Julie Adenuga's show (UK DJ) is pretty good. And Zane is not bad either. The only hour I haven't enjoyed was the NYC 2-3pm block.
Liking it also.

But I like just about everything.
My itunes is about as diverse as you get.

Small Sample of the (Better Known) Artists in My Playlists:

Mozart
Eminem
Taylor Swift
Maroon 5
AC/DC
Elton John
Walk the Moon
Garth Brooks
Boyz2Men
Snoop Dogg
Guns and Roses
Nirvana
Green Day
Metallica
Frank Sinatra
2Pac
Louie Armstrong
Elvis
Wiz Khalifa
Skrillex
Tim McGraw
John Coltrane
Flo Rida
9 Inch Nails
Lady Antebellum
Marvin Gaye
Prince
Johnny Cash
Jason Derulo
Poison
Drake

Pretty much unless its Death Metal or Screamer music, I like it. Or at least give it a chance.

I like Beats1 because as I get older, I "explore" music less than I use to, have there been some things played today I wasn't wild about? Ya, but I added a ton of new music that I enjoyed I would of not found before. 6 hours straight of Beats1 and loving it.

Last edited:

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012

Do you really assume that everyone who is the same age, race, and gender as you is exactly like you? Y'all are carbon copies with the same interests and likes? LOL. You seem to have learned very little about humanity in your 55 years.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Liking it also.

But I like just about everything.
My itunes is about as diverse as you get.

Small Sample of the (Better Known) Artists in My Playlists:

Mozart
Eminem
Taylor Swift
Maroon 5
AC/DC
Elton John
Walk the Moon
Garth Brooks
Boyz2Men
Snoop Dogg
Guns and Roses
Nirvana
Green Day
Metallica
Frank Sinatra
2Pac
Louie Armstrong
Elvis
Wiz Khalifa
Skrillex
Tim McGraw
John Coltrane
Flo Rida
9 Inch Nails
Lady Antebellum
Marvin Gaye
Prince
Johnny Cash
Jason Derulo
Poison
Drake

Pretty much unless its Death Metal or Screamer music, I like it. Or at least give it a chance.

I like Beats1 because as I get older, I "explore" music less than I use to, have there been some things played today I wasn't wild about? Ya, but I added a ton of new music that I enjoyed I would of not found before. 6 hours straight of Beats1 and loving it.

Very similar to mine. I find myself far more accepting of much more varied music now in my late 40's than I did in my teens and 20's.

The algorithm seems to be pretty good in about two hours of listening I think I skipped 2 maybe three tracks and that was back at the beginning.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I agree. I do hope that Beats 1 eventually branches out to several streams that have are more genre focused.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Why the huge fuss over 24-7-worldwide-hand-curated-by-really-cool-people-for-a-single-interest-group?

Because those are the people who made Spotify, Pandora, and Songza huge. If Apple had to pick one market to target, that would be it.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Down for me too. Amusing too because right above the "listen now" button it says "always on".

I bet a whole lotta people at Apple are ******** themselves real hard right now. The engineers must be having crazy anxiety attacks right now.

But seriously tho, this is just growing pains for a brand new service. Overall the rollout and performance has been fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.