Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently announced several updates to its Beats line of headphones, debuting new wireless Beats Solo3, PowerBeats3, and BeatsX products, all of which take advantage of the company's new W1 wireless chip for battery life improvements.

Missing from the lineup was a new version of the high-end over-ear Studio Wireless headphones, and according to CNET, no updated Studio Wireless products are planned for the near future due to an inability to improve battery life.

beatsstudiowireless.jpg

The reason? Beats can't yet achieve the battery improvements needed to distinguish a Studio Wireless sequel from the current model. That's a big contrast to the major battery life gains in Beats' aforementioned updated wireless headphones, which come courtesy of Apple's new custom low-energy Bluetooth chip, the W1. The Solo3 Wireless, for example, wrings out three times the lifespan from the exact same battery found in the Solo2. But the W1 can't offer any energy savings on the active noise-canceling feature on the Studio Wireless.
The existing Studio Wireless headphones, priced at $380, offer an Adaptive Noise Canceling feature that consumes battery life. The headphones feature a rechargeable battery that lasts up to 12 hours when used over Bluetooth and 20 hours when plugged into an iOS device.

Apple's new Beats Solo3 headphones are available for $299 from Apple.com. The PowerBeats3 and the BeatsX, priced at $199 and $149, respectively, will debut this fall. Apple is also planning to introduce Apple-branded wire-free "AirPods," which will be priced at $159 and will be available in October.

Article Link: No New Studio Wireless Headphones Coming From Beats in 2016

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
That most of the new Beats headphones still use Micro-USB is all kinds of sad. Perhaps my least favourite connector. Just move to Lightning for charging and dump wired used entirely. Solo3 aren't a DJ headphone anyway, and with 40-hour battery life and a 400+ foot range wires are the least concern.

And while Apple are at it just move to Lightning to Lightning for all of their iOS charging cables/plugs.

Last edited:

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
That most of the new Beats headphones still use Micro-USB is all kinds of sad. Perhaps my least favourite connector.

I find it really awkward that Apple decided to still use Micro-USB on the new Beats Solo 3. Doesn't make any sense at all. It also comes with only a standard minijack cable for those who want to use it with cable at times. No Lightning option to use with the iPhone 7.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I find it really awkward that Apple decided to still use Micro-USB on the new Beats Solo 3. Doesn't make any sense at all. It also comes with only a standard minijack cable for those who want to use it with cable at times. No Lightning option to use with the iPhone 7.
An adapter would be handy ;-)

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
You know - i never considered this Beats Studios.

Any thoughts on it?

I've demoed the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 - i liked them very much and not very impressed with the noise cancellation. I also didnt find them very comfortable over my ears.

I just ordered the Bose Quiet Comfort 35's.

No where in my research did anyone suggest to buy Apple Beats Studios.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I would think they would at least bundle in a Lightning cable with them now, for wired use with an iPhone7 without a dongle.
[doublepost=1474583607][/doublepost]
That most of the new Beats headphones still use Micro-USB is all kinds of sad. Perhaps my least favourite connector. Just move to Lightning for charging and dump wired used entirely. Solo3 aren't a DJ headphone anyway, and with 40-hour battery life and a 400+ foot range wires are the least concern.

And while Apple are at it just move to Lightning to Lightning for all of their iOS charging cables/plugs.

I think this has to do with pre-acquisition designs and post-acquisition designs. The Beats X and Beats Pill+ were designed after Apple acquired Beats. The others are all built-upon designs that existed prior to the acquisition.

Alternatively, but less likely, it could be by engineering team. Perhaps the engineering team that was around before Apple acquired Beats continues to use microUSB. The newer engineering team that Apple added after the acquisition likes to use Lightning.

Reactions: Beck Show

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I'm sure I won't be the first person to make this comment…

So, Apple won't release a new version of an existing product because it can't drastically improve the battery life of that product? Man, I wish they would take that point of you on the iPhone.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
They could at least have done a price cut to reflect the fact that they've been out for multiple years. Regardless, I do enjoy my Studio Wireless. Very underrated pair of headphones.

i bought a pair in matte black early last year for $230.. if anyone is interested in buying some of these, definitely shop around as you'll likely find a retailer with them on sale at a price much lower than apple's $380.

[edit] after a quick look around, bestBuy has them for $249 right now.. B&H has some of the colors at $249 and others at $299 [/edit]

----
i use them in a fabrication shop so they double as both noise-cancelation and headphones in that environment (and of course, that they're wireless is the main advantage in my particular usage)..
they're super sweet both in comfort and sound imo.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

I think Apple smartly realized more Beats are sold to people who use mUSB than to people who use lightning. There are already enough Apple customers complaining about lightning's proprietary nature. Why alienate more customers unnecessarily?

Apple and Beats is a marriage of convenience. Both have great brand recognition. Both have great margins. Both generate outsized profits relative to their competition. Apple sells because it's Apple. Beats sells because it's Beats. They don't need each other, it's just nice for both of them. Think of it like a Kennedy marrying a Rockefeller:).

Reactions: jeffirl

Beck Show

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2016
U.S.A.

Any thoughts on it?

I've demoed the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 - i liked them very much and not very impressed with the noise cancellation. I also didnt find them very comfortable over my ears.

I have nothing but good things to say about mine. Great connection, good range, pair easily, great sound (better than my Bose have been in my opinion), great rigs overall.
[doublepost=1474584624][/doublepost]
I'm so disappointed.

- said no one ever
I am very disappointed. I would love to upgrade to a new, refreshed model from my current Studio Wireless rig. You can start the list with me.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Did I just read this right? The W1 allows the Solo 3's battery to last 3 times longer than the Solo 2 with the same capacity battery? 3 times??

The Solo3 Wireless, for example, wrings out three times the lifespan from the exact same battery found in the Solo2

You'd think Apple would play this angle somewhat hard if the W1 allows power savings of that significance.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
They could at least have done a price cut to reflect the fact that they've been out for multiple years. Regardless, I do enjoy my Studio Wireless. Very underrated pair of headphones.
Any headphone that has a Beats brand on it is an overrated! :D

Reactions: ssgbryan

xTIMMYxCOREx

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Tampa, FL
I really would have preferred a Lightning connector. I have been very pleased with my Pill+, Solo2 Wireless and Wireless PowerBeats2. I listen to mostly metal and hardcore music and they are ideal for that.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

Any thoughts on it?

No one recommended the Beats because they're not in the same league as the Bose or sennheiser. I personally like the sound of the momentum 2 the most. An excellent pair of headphones.
The noise cancellation of the Bose 35 is in a league of its own. Nothing comes close. The qc35 also sounds excellent but not as good as the momentum.

The beats is not comparable. The beats lists for $380. It's a joke. Best Buy sells them for $190 and they're still not worth it. They're more comparable to the Sony zx770bt that sells for $78 on amazon. The noise cancellation on the beats is pretty worthless.

Reactions: ssgbryan

r03dz

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
No one recommended the Beats because they're not in the same league as the Bose or sennheiser. I personally like the sound of the momentum 2 the most. An excellent pair of headphones.
The noise cancellation of the Bose 35 is in a league of its own. Nothing comes close. The qc35 also sounds excellent but not as good as the momentum.

The beats is not comparable. The beats lists for $380. It's a joke. Best Buy sells them for $190 and they're still not worth it. They're more comparable to the Sony zx770bt that sells for $78 on amazon. The noise cancellation on the beats is pretty worthless.

The Bose QC 35s are the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever owned. I returned them the next day. They're great if you love the feeling of being in an airplane. Your ears just super filled with pressure.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

This.

It's just stupid the way they are, and not only because microUSB is the crappiest computer connector ever (dont know which is worst, that or the S-video miniDIN)

They should have made beats that recharge with lightning and that's it.

Then they should have come with lightning to lightning cable that you could use to play music directly powered by your iOS device (power + signal).

Reactions: puckhead193

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY

Any thoughts on it?

Smart, I have the studios and much prefer the Bose. If I didn't have the studios, I would have bought them on the spot.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
For the life of me I can't figure out why these weren't available along side the Iphone 7. Apple took away the headphone jack and didn't really offer a solution or "better" alternative. The Airpods or the beats line up should have been available at launch..... not some time next month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.