Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcnicks

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
I bought BeejiveIM at lunchtime and its already paid for itself. I set up my IM accounts during a long, tedious meeting and I was able to field a finance query and set up a technical meeting for later in the afternoon. It works really well. In fact, I am already wondering how I got by without it. Seriously, £10 is nothing.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Anyone experimented with both MobileMe and Yahoo push? My MobileMe email address is getting pummeled by all the notifications (which work very well, by the way!), and I'd rather make another Yahoo account and let that load up if it is near as instant as MM push.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I'm not sure how Apple's push notification system will work, but my assumption is that it will only be able to push a notification to the phone telling it to add a number beside the app. I think they will still have to queue up the messages and send them to your phone when you open the app.

Well, it's kinda hard to say. Steve Jobs said that you can push badges, sounds, and notifications...one of those, all three, some, etc.

Now if you're able to grab the string from the notifications, then you could essentially push the entire message and use that...

But knowing Apple, you're probably right. It will simply notify you while keeping the queuing system.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Anyone experimented with both MobileMe and Yahoo push? My MobileMe email address is getting pummeled by all the notifications (which work very well, by the way!), and I'd rather make another Yahoo account and let that load up if it is near as instant as MM push.

I don't have mobileme or ever had it but i can tell you i created a yahoo account solely for this purpose and so far notifications have been pushed nearly instantaneously

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
i'm just using email notification with the address used to reach my sms service (xxxxxxxxx@pcs.rogers.com) and i get instant sms any time someone messages me through the services i use (msn, aim, google chat). works fine as an alternative for now!

Thanks! I wasn't sure what the rogers sms address would be for my phone. Do you put a 1 infront of your number or no?

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
that is what i said, i only said to message yourself as a test. go into the app, use aim to text your iphone. it will show a number that the message comes from something like xxx-xx

if anyone texts that number it goes to your aim account.

i only said to do it to yourself to test it so that you can see that it works.

Oh that number? I thought it was just some bogus generic whatever thing it spits out. So that number is specific to my AIM account and cell number. If so, very cool, and thank you for the tip! :)

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Can anyone confirm if Idle/Away status is handled properly on MSN/Windows Live? None of the other apps reflect such statuses correctly and my contacts show as online when I know for a fact that they are Away or at least idle.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
Can anyone confirm if Idle/Away status is handled properly on MSN/Windows Live? None of the other apps reflect such statuses correctly and my contacts show as online when I know for a fact that they are Away or at least idle.

I can confirm this, you can also set custom messages.
To test things, I added myself on WLM :rolleyes:

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Oh that number? I thought it was just some bogus generic whatever thing it spits out. So that number is specific to my AIM account and cell number. If so, very cool, and thank you for the tip! :)

no that xxx-xx is obviously NOT specific to your number. you really think a five digit combinatory number is enough to cover potentially millions of users? simple grade 11 math here.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I'm neither a lawnmowing kid, nor a cheap bastard. I am also not an idiot however, and I am not going to spend £10 on something until I have a decent bit of evidence that it's a good chunk better than the available FREE alternative. If it becomes evident that it IS a lot better, then I'll drop the tenner no problem.

That said, I do think that the Beejive guys could have actually made more money at a lower price point....

You really do come off quite arrogant you know... like you're "better" than other people just because you're willing drop whatever money on apps without thinking about it. Also, you seem obsessed with kids who mow lawns. Not sure what that's about.... I *do* however wish that when I was a kid, I'd been paid enough for that sort of task to afford an iPhone and the associated contract...

Whose lawns are these kids mowing?!?!

Whenever the topic of price comes up, and people disagree, the remarks always come up about sounding arrogant and "better" then others. This is such crap. It's not about being "better" it's about PAYING for quality, and people wanted free hand outs. NO ONE wants to pay anymore. I'll give you a good example of this...

The band Radio Head did a little test. They offered an unreleased recording of new material online, and instead of charging a set amount, they asked you pay what you feel it's worth to you. It's well reviewed, and filled with good music (if you like Radio Head that is) and hundreds of thousands downloaded it. They have said they were shocked and overwhelmed with people giving them NOTHING, of an insultingly small amount.

People are so used to getting things for free these days, like their music, and movies, and computer software, now they want high quality apps for free on their iPhone. The review system is PLAGUED with this same ******s who complain, even about the .99 apps.

I fully believe you get what you pay for (in most cases). So, don't call me arrogant or that I act "better". I like to think of it as supportive. Supportive of both the developer and the developer community. I'm more then happy to give money to someone who has built an app that is rock solid.

GutBomb

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
Outside Boston
5) Change the icon! Give it the standard rounded corners – for some reason the square icon just stands out a little too much...

I think you just gave yourself away. Pirated apps that run under the root user on jailbroken phones have the square icons with sharp corners. The same version of the same app purchased legitimately through the app store will have rounded corners. I bought mine this morning and I doubt they updated the app since it became available and my icon has rounded corners.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Some people may just whine at the fact that Beejive is £10... I'm not. I *do* however reserve my right to wait until there is some more evidence that it's £10 *better* than Palringo... at which point I will be only too happy to drop the £10 on the app.

What "cracks me up" is the people who evidently have no regard for money whatsoever, and look down their noses at people who thing it might just be smart to figure out whether something represents a wise purchase, before buying it.

And this I do agree with you on. Waiting to see if the software is worth the cost in your opinion is smart. No one should even debate that.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
no that xxx-xx is obviously NOT specific to your number. you really think a five digit combinatory number is enough to cover potentially millions of users? simple grade 11 math here.

Hey I've never used this stuff before. Digipip is kind enough to be patient with my naiveté on this system.

So no thanks for your stupid ****** reply, instead of being helpful, you came across as a jerk. :rolleyes:

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas

i thought the same thing originally and i didnt say its always a 5 digit, it just so happens the one that i got was. but i saved the number before and it always continued to work. and anytime i sms i get the same number.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
I think you just gave yourself away. Pirated apps that run under the root user on jailbroken phones have the square icons with sharp corners. The same version of the same app purchased legitimately through the app store will have rounded corners. I bought mine this morning and I doubt they updated the app since it became available and my icon has rounded corners.

My iPhone is jailbroken and I 've loaded apps via Cydia (with rounded corners) - but I happily paid my $15.99 for ($17.11 after tax).

Please don't accuse me of trying to steal software. I paid for Beejive, it is not pirated.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada

:eek:

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois

It's pirated already??? Shame on those who bought it (EDIT:and leaked it)! :mad:

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Whenever the topic of price comes up, and people disagree, the remarks always come up about sounding arrogant and "better" then others. This is such crap. It's not about being "better" it's about PAYING for quality, and people wanted free hand outs. NO ONE wants to pay anymore. I'll give you a good example of this...

The band Radio Head did a little test. They offered an unreleased recording of new material online, and instead of charging a set amount, they asked you pay what you feel it's worth to you. It's well reviewed, and filled with good music (if you like Radio Head that is) and hundreds of thousands downloaded it. They have said they were shocked and overwhelmed with people giving them NOTHING, of an insultingly small amount.

People are so used to getting things for free these days, like their music, and movies, and computer software, now they want high quality apps for free on their iPhone. The review system is PLAGUED with this same ******s who complain, even about the .99 apps.

I fully believe you get what you pay for (in most cases). So, don't call me arrogant or that I act "better". I like to think of it as supportive. Supportive of both the developer and the developer community. I'm more then happy to give money to someone who has built an app that is rock solid.

i'm with you however, i think that you are forgetting one very important variable. people will pay what they believe it's worth given their notion of the perceived value according to their "situation"

you gave an example of a music band offering music online and allowing fans to pay whatever, but i wouldn't be surprised if that band's "market" base consisted of "kids" who don't have a whole lot of money. it's all about expectations and those expectations differ depending on the group in question.

i was recently in philadelphia and my girlfriend and i went to the philadelphia museum and they have a system where on that day you could "voluntarily" pay whatever you wanted for admission, you could even pay nothing if you wanted to and still get a ticket. out of curiosity i hung out at the ticket center to see what would happen. almost everyone who got a ticket paid the regular ticket price. however, keep in mind the people going in were adults (with the expectation that they were going to pay full admission anyway) and people with an appreciation for the arts and a desire to support the arts. in fact i didn't observe anyone who didn't pay anything.

the problem with the app store and the iphone user base, is that you have a lot of "kids" or non kids who feel that anything that isn't a game should be "free". that's the expectation that they have. unfortunately, they're also more vocal than all others. so you hear their complaints more often

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Beejive is th best app for the phone out there at a realistic price for ongoing development and server maintenance. Beejive is the app that made me stop boycotting the app store, let's hope other nice apps follow.

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Though it's hard to imagine, MobileChat WILL eventually work. I used it back in their jailbreak days and it was great. It's only a matter of time before they work out all the kinks and the price will stay the same. $4.99, if I remember correctly... and guess what, it wont be long before the market is FLOODED with functioning IM clients. BeeJive's money hungry arses are shooting themselves in the foot. I don't care what they charge for their app for Windows Mobile. We all know they would make a killing selling it at half the price. I'm wiling to bet they would even make MORE in the long run. They would certainly be able to support the costs of servers/royalties and what have you (that crossword puzzle app at $2.99 made like $16,000 one week, right?), so it's obvious their price has been chosen based on greed and I for one will not contribute.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey

It's pirated already??? Shame on those who bought it (EDIT:and leaked it)! :mad:

No - its not pirated (and if it is, I have NOTHING to do with it) - this @$$ just decided to make the assumption that because of my issue with the icon I must have illegal software - because apparently he's one of those people who must know everything and thinks the worst of people.

Regardless, I did some messing around and ss it turns out the issue is due to Categories - when I have it in a folder the icon is square, when I remove it and have it on the main springboard its rounded. Apparently (and I never noticed before because I didn't have any of the apps in Categories) but about half of my icons will show square if used in Categories - AND NONE ARE PIRATED.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
i must say this is an impressive app. Its what i wanted out of mobilechat. Im not mad i payed 5 dollars for mobilechat. I think they will get their stuff together soon. But I dont see my self useing them over beejive. Beejive is a very established company and i have had really no issues. Its so perfect

Finally getting use out of yahoo push mail! (counting down to when gmail is push-able!)

edit: quick question. What happens to your beejive account when you sign unto aim on your computer. Then what happens when you sign off of your computer to beejive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.