Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebuc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Nor'East
Every once in a while my PowerBook beeps. One of those short beeps you hear on old DOS computers when they boot up is the best way I can describe it. I thought at first it was my PC since it has a built in speaker than can only beep, but I've heard it in many places from my laptop. When it beeps it beeps at different times: sometimes once during just general computer use, sometimes just once during startup.

Any idea what to make of this? If the beeps were becoming more frequent I'd say it was a countdown to the explosion of my PowerBook, but so far they just seem to occur once or twice a month.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Next time it happens, note down exactly what you're doing at the time, what apps are open and what keys you've pressed. It sounds like you may just be hearing the regular false command tone which occurs when you give the machine a command it cannot process. Of course, that's assuming it's coming from the speakers. Maybe try running the machine muted for a while to rule out any hardware noises. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.