Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
When Apple dropped the 56K modem from their laptops I got a dongle with an external modem but I probably used it only for a year or so before I switched to a wireless modem USB dongle and shortly after that to a MiFi (Wifi router+wireless modem).

Yep, it's called progress. People here can be the most tech affluent, yet also the most stubborn in letting go of the past. It's interesting. Very much like "car people"

----------

By definition one can not sell something for free.

Sure you can ... I can sell you on an idea (something) that one CAN in fact sell something for free. You may want to open the dictionary, if you'd like to verify. :)

----------

I'm not at all. Just pointing out that if you buy a modern apple laptop and need legacy port, you need to get adapters.

People complaining about the new MacBook and its lack of ports need to realise that the whole apple range lacks ports, and you need to carry adapters.

Yep. The pro users are complaining about the Macbook release is like a full size SUV users complaining that the new Kia sub-compact model doesn't have 8 seats. It's just not a logical gripe.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The cable is free*.

-There are just shipping and handling charges. And now I've added a "Unauthorized Definition Sharing" surcharge of $1457.92 USD. :p

What can I say? I've read a lot of cereal boxes and telecom bills in my life. ;)

Your Call Is Important To Us.

I guess this point goes to you good sir.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It's ridiculous! Just as ridiculous as the fact that my Nissan Leaf can't pull a 30' Airstream travel trailer and my Magic Bullet mixer can't make enough stuffing for a 20# turkey at Thanksgiving.

Why can't manufacturers learn that every device, no matter what the size or stated purpose, must be equally adept at all features/functions of larger devices?

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I see your point, but you'll notice that you can plug any of your current USB devices into that old laptop and those devices will work. The -example- of this new Mac shows that there's no plan to support the data-intensive networking needs that WiFi cannot meet. I'm not writing about MacRumors and Twitter bandwidth needs, I'm concerned about the i/o connectivity for the i/o interfaces and media-drive needs of professional applications, both NAS and DAS. There is a smug "Oh, WTF, just put in a single port and maybe someone will come up with a hub that can handle all that stuff..." -Like those Thunderbolt docks that only have overlap in places like "headphone jack" or "eSATA". :rolleyes:

Maybe the laptops are just "done" and us media creators will just have to stop using them because our hardware won't work on a glorified Chromebook, or maybe there will be an "unthin" pro model and we'll be rather pleased that Apple isn't just about little electronic fashion statements and Emoji diversity.

We'll see.

Could someone that works with Avid or Lightroom weigh-in here?

Sorry, guy, you're not making any sense here...besides the ports, how the heck do you expect to use a laptop running a Broadwell core M processor with Avid and Lightroom in a "professional" capacity? Why are you completely rejecting the fact that there are "Pro" laptops made by Apple that fit your needs way better than this new Macbook? And why are you completely rejecting the potential for a well designed dock allowing you to connect everything in one go?

Are you going out of your way to be unhappy? Seems very silly...

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
By definition one can not sell something for free.

More than one definition for "sell". For example, look how easily Apple could "sell" a bunch of us on the merit of a single USB-C port on this new Macbook. Many of us even "bought" it without any objections and are even actively trying to "sell" our fellow consumers on why having one port and buying separate adapters makes great sense... all with no dollars- or shipping & handling- changing hands. ;)

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the issue isn't people being ignorant of other laptops in apple's lineup--and that the real thing going on here is that people would love to have a laptop that features the design/weight of the Macbook with legacy ports?

Not sure if serious? The legacy ports *won't fit* in the design.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
serial db25, serial db9, centronics, scsi-1, scsi-2, scsi-3, usb1, usb2, usb3, mini usb, micro usb, db15, hdmi, micro hdmi, svideo, composite rgb, ieee1394 4 pin aka firewire, iee1394 6pin aka firewire, firewire 400, firewire 800, ten base T, rj11, rj45, cat5, cat6, thunderbolt 1, display port, mini display port, dvi-d, dvi-i ....:eek:
Not to mention many and varied power connectors and bricks.

guess my draw will be getting usb3-c next

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
serial db25, serial db9, centronics, scsi-1, scsi-2, scsi-3, usb1, usb2, usb3, mini usb, micro usb, db15, hdmi, micro hdmi, svideo, composite rgb, ieee1394 4 pin aka firewire, iee1394 6pin aka firewire, firewire 400, firewire 800, ten base T, rj11, rj45, cat5, cat6, thunderbolt 1, display port, mini display port, dvi-d, dvi-i ....:eek:
Not to mention many and varied power connectors and bricks.

guess my draw will be getting usb3-c next

Wireless FTW.:D

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I use the USB to charge and sync my iDevices (sometimes BOTH at the same time).

I also use the USB to import photos from my digital cameras (both pocket and SLR).

I also use the USB to transfer files to a thumb drive.

Sometimes I plug my computer into the printer via USB(!)

Now I'll need wall chargers (cheaper than adaptors) and and 3-way plug adaptors so I can plug them all in at once...
No, you don't need a hub or 3-way plug for all this, simply because the computer will survive just fine not being connected to a charger while you print something, while you transfer stuff to or from a USB thumbdrive, while you import images from a digital camera or while you sync iOS devices. Even charging the iPhone will not be a problem. Charging the iPad is the only scenario where a fully charged MB might not be able to fully charge an 'empty' iPad.

Here are some numbers, the new MB has a battery capacity of 39.7 Wh:
iPad Air 2: 27.3 Wh
iPad Air 1: 32.4 Wh
iPad 4th gen: 42.8 Wh
iPad 2: 25 Wh
iPad Mini 3: 23.8 Wh
iPad Mini 1: 16.3 Wh

For the iPhones I have only found values in mAh, fortunately I have also found the mAh value for the iPad Air 2, 7340 mAh. Thus, assuming that the batteries in iPads and iPhones run the same voltage (which makes sense if they power the same chips, ie, the A-series), we get:

iPhone 6+: 10.8 Wh
iPhone 6: 6.7 Wh Wh
iPhone 5s: 5.8 Wh
iPhone 5c: 5.6 Wh
iPhone 5: 5.4 Wh
iPhone 4s: 5.3 Wh
iPhone 4: 5.3 Wh

Francowg./

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2015
Is there a thunderbolt to usbC cord yet ? My external is thunderbolt n I'm looking to buy this computer when it comes out. Thought I can't figure out how I'm going to transfer my data to the computer

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Great to see the ethernet cable added :)

To those whining about needing a bunch of cables, why buy this laptop then? there are so many others in apple's lineup, find one that suits your needs.

Problem is, the new Macbook sets a new reference and hint that every future Mac will come with only one data port; USB - C

And going entirely wireless does not help either. Even 802.11ac standard is nowhere near the good old LAN cable in terms of reliability and latency. So again I wouldn't trust WiFi for those critical moments. Not everyone use network only to watch youtube and mere browsing, no?

Yes there are adapters for nearly every legacy ports. Meaning there are more and more dongles to attach or carry. The Macbook price is getting higher while customers get less and less out of the box. I used to get ethernet, FW, Thunderbolt, even HDMI for $999, now I have to pay $1299, only get one USB-C port which no one uses yet and I still have to buy $79 adapter to even get barely workable ports.

As you said, there are other Macbook with legacy ports. But ask yourself, how long would it take before the next Mac computers lose all those port? I bet the next iMac would only come with 4 USB-C, headphone jack, and power cable. The MacPro may get 6 USB-C and that's it. Where is the mighty Thunderbolt Apple used to be proud of? Pros just getting the hang of TB and just a few years later Apple puts a doubt in it and running away from it. Oh yes Apple could've included a TB port in the new Macbook, it's about the same size as USB-C so it would fit just fine. But it's just Apple playing the old "planned obsolescence" game.

I have to pay more $$ for it and it would not come with any necessary adapter, for that I'd have to flush out more $$$.

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Problem is, the new Macbook sets a new reference and hint that every future Mac will come with only one data port; USB - C

I have to pay more $$ for it and it would not come with any necessary adapter, for that I'd have to flush out more $$$.

I think you mean sets a new precedence, not reference. And not sure how you made that determination.

On the flip side, Apple could charge $200 more and then include the adaptors, but then you'd be whining about being forced to pay for something you don't need.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
No, you don't need a hub or 3-way plug for all this, simply because the computer will survive just fine not being connected to a charger while you print something, while you transfer stuff to or from a USB thumbdrive, while you import images from a digital camera or while you sync iOS devices. Even charging the iPhone will not be a problem. Charging the iPad is the only scenario where a fully charged MB might not be able to fully charge an 'empty' iPad.

You're not getting my point, I'm not talking about charging the computer, I'm talking about charging the external devices (all at once). If I don't have USB ports to charge my iPhone, iPad and/or Kindle. I'll need the standard wall USB chargers. Now that I've got more than two things to charge I've used all the wall plugs, or if I find more then my devices aren't in a convent spot.

Normally in a hotel (or a spare bedroom, where ever I'm staying) I plug in my laptop and plug in my devices into the USB ports to charge. The devices are then conveniently near me (since the computer plug gives me 6(?) feet of extension) which is pretty handy.

Without multiple USB ports, I can't plug in more than one into the computer. And if I've got to buy $19 USB adaptors and lug them around I might as well just carry around the wall chargers...

Gary

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
The Port & Processor Reduction Act of 2015

Sorry, guy, you're not making any sense here...besides the ports, how the heck do you expect to use a laptop running a Broadwell core M processor with Avid and Lightroom in a "professional" capacity? Why are you completely rejecting the fact that there are "Pro" laptops made by Apple that fit your needs way better than this new Macbook? And why are you completely rejecting the potential for a well designed dock allowing you to connect everything in one go?

Are you going out of your way to be unhappy? Seems very silly...

No, sorry. I should have made it much more clear in my response I was extrapolating my concern to the future product line: They dumbed-down the 2014 Mini and that scares the emoji out of me. My stinky 2003 G4 Powerbook has 10 ports on it and everything still works (including that Kensington slot that I've never seen used on a laptop.) and doesn't require any adapters to use it. (Point being, onward and upward, not the opposite.) I'm sure the new Macbook with it's single USB-C power/data port will make many people very happy. Taking away connectivity choices is a growing trend; and as a longtime Apple customer, it makes me nervous about purchases. So I'll wait and see what develops or declines.

PS: My huge Xcellon dock has 10 USB-3 ports and a power supply.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
No, sorry. I should have made it much more clear in my response I was extrapolating my concern to the future product line: They dumbed-down the 2014 Mini and that scares the emoji out of me. My stinky 2003 G4 Powerbook has 10 ports on it and everything still works (including that Kensington slot that I've never seen used on a laptop.) and doesn't require any adapters to use it. (Point being, onward and upward, not the opposite.) I'm sure the new Macbook with it's single USB-C power/data port will make many people very happy. Taking away connectivity choices is a growing trend; and as a longtime Apple customer, it makes me nervous about purchases. So I'll wait and see what develops or declines.

PS: My huge Xcellon dock has 10 USB-3 ports and a power supply.

Yeah, the quest for one universal port for everything will eventually require you to be ready to buy adapters and docks to support those legacy peripherals (iPhone 6 counts as a legacy peripheral at this point!!!). If you want to have all the older different ports on the machine itself, you should be worried. I'd pick up an MBP before the Skylake redesign if I were you, I have a sneaking feeling it will be a Thunderbolt/USB-C only machine.

When I go out to my clients I tend to use MagSafe and a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. Rarely use the two USB ports I've got.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Portgate

Yeah, the quest for one universal port for everything will eventually require you to be ready to buy adapters and docks to support those legacy peripherals (iPhone 6 counts as a legacy peripheral at this point!!!). If you want to have all the older different ports on the machine itself, you should be worried. I'd pick up an MBP before the Skylake redesign if I were you, I have a sneaking feeling it will be a Thunderbolt/USB-C only machine.

When I go out to my clients I tend to use MagSafe and a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. Rarely use the two USB ports I've got.

Yeah, it's the outboard stuff that I have to use. As long as they keep at least 2 usb and 2 TB ports on the new MBp, that would be acceptable as a mobile machine. In the studio, I rarely use WiFi, SD slot, or Bluetooth. I'd trade that real estate for an extra TB port or two. -That's the 2012 Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.