Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zar182

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
Snap Shield Secure ETA

Macmall called me this morning to notify me that my order was cancelled through Amazon fullfillment center because their quota of 30 units (Smoke color) had already been exceeded. However they did offer to accept direct credit card payment and ship direct from whichever Macmall warehouse gets there next batch in on Thursday or Friday. My guess is that the April 20th date you received is because, a. ETA might be different for a color other than Smoke, or b. their next allotment has already been "reserved" and there is an additional week or two delay until their subsequent shipment arrives.

Last edited:

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I have been waiting for the Snap Shield Secure too. As a stopgap measure, I ordered a Tucano Vedo TPU case for the iPad 2 in the hope that it would fit ok (link). It turns out that it fits the new iPad really well, and I really like the way it feels. It also has the magnet on the back to hold the smart cover in place. So I canceled my Amazon pre-order for the Snap Shield Secure.

The clear isn't very clear

Good price though!

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
A quick heads up about the Belkin snap secure- today I discovered that the steel strip creates a pressure hotspot between the case and the back of the iPad.

Found a dark stain layer forming in the contact zone with my frost clear Belkin in spite of having cleaned both mating surfaces before install. Since the stain is dark, and the case isn't, it must be aluminum oxide.

Beware- this could eventually damage the surface finish of the iPad.

I was able to clean off this stain with some effort, but not too pleased with this issue.

Also, the tacky outer surface of the Belkin does get dirty with fingerprints quite fast.

Switched to the Tunewear Eggshell I bought at the same time as the Belkin. Probably a better choice, time will tell.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
A quick heads up about the Belkin snap secure- today I discovered that the steel strip creates a pressure hotspot between the case and the back of the iPad.

Found a dark stain layer forming in the contact zone with my frost clear Belkin in spite of having cleaned both mating surfaces before install. Since the stain is dark, and the case isn't, it must be aluminum oxide.

I was able to clean off this stain with some effort, but not too pleased with this issue.

Also, the tacky outer surface of the Belkin does get dirty with fingerprints quite fast.

Switched to the Tunewear Eggshell I bought at the same time as the Belkin. Probably a better choice, time will tell.

Maybe a piece of tape will solve that

Civicsixxx

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
New Castle, DE
Looks like amazon will be shipping sooner than expected.

We have good news! *We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

**"Belkin Snap Shield Secure for New Apple iPad 3rd Generation, HD, 1080P, WiFi, 4G LTE, AT & T, Verizon (Clear)"
***Previous estimated arrival date: April 16, 2012 - April 20, 2012
***New estimated arrival date: April 10, 2012

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010

Quick question: What does the surface of the eggshell feel like? is it rubbery, or is it clear hard smooth plastic?

Also, are you using the iPad 2 version -- or were you able to get your hands on the new iPad version?

Thanks..

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Quick question: What does the surface of the eggshell feel like? is it rubbery, or is it clear hard smooth plastic?

Also, are you using the iPad 2 version -- or were you able to get your hands on the new iPad version?

Thanks..

It's the version for the new iPad. I picked it up in Japan about two weeks ago.

The Eggshell is glossy hard pearlescent clear polycarbonate. Not as grippy as the Belkin, but it stays clean and so far, shows no scratches. I do expect some scratches eventually, but the color hides them well.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
for anyone who has ordered belkin snap shield directly from belkin how long did it take you to get the case?

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I couldn't stand the SnapCase. I felt it was a bit too small for the iPad 3. It didn't come up over the aluminum and the edges dug into my hands. The Smart Cover cut is better, but wasnt enough for me to keep the case. I've gone with the CoverBuddy from Switcheasy and I'm very impressed. $5 cheaper, too!

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
since people are saying this case does not fit perfectly on the new ipad.. which one does that is similar? and dont say coverbuddy because i had a isssue with them already where my case cracked.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
so this is pretty much mixed results some fit and some dont :confused: i already have to return my case and i dont want to get this one and have to do the same thing

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I think there are many instances where people have both good & bad experiences with a company. I both the Belkin case at Best Buy and it easily slipped off of my iPad...others may have different experiences. The CoverBuddy I picked up...I love. Fits great & seems sturdier than the Belkin. Would love the see-through smoke look, but I'm happy so far. 2 year warranty helps, too. Now I'm looking for a good Folio case, but that's a different story. To each their own... :)

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011

Where did you buy the tunewear eggshell? Do you have a link?

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
Amazon.com has the snap shield secure (clear) in stock. I was lucky enough to just order one and save money! $34.99 instead of $45.11 if I where to get it directly from Belkin. There are only 7 left in stock so good luck :)

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I removed the case to inspect the back of my new ipad hoping to just blow away dust but I noticed a small section of the back paint of the ipad chipped away. I looked on the inside of the belkin snap shield to see some plastic on the inside of the shield protruding out, which look like to be plastic air bubbles. These have been poking into the back of my ipad gradually chipping away at the paint on the back of the new ipad. I might contact belkin about this to see what they say.

Last edited:

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I removed the case to inspect the back of my new ipad hoping to just blow away dust but I noticed a small section of the back paint of the ipad chipped away. I looked on the inside of the belkin snap shield to see some plastic on the inside of the shield protruding out, which look like to be plastic air bubbles. These have been poking into the back of my ipad gradually chipping away at the paint on the back of the new ipad. I might contact belkin about this to see what they say.

what paint on the back of the ipad are you talking about?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
On the two Snap Shields I bought the area surrounding the magnet/metal is very rough on the inside of the case - bad enough for me to worry about it scratching the iPad. These cases are going back to MacMall, received my ZUM cases last week and although they don't have the same functionality of the Belkin I prefer that the ZUM keep secures the case to the iPad - I think I'll also be adding a small strip of 3M EMI Absorber thape to the back of the ZUM so it "snaps" the cover to the back when folded open.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Cancelled my preorder due to the bad reviews it seems to be getting. Ordered a skin from ********** instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.