Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Like others have mentioned, the big benefit of owning the iPad is obviously the bigger screen. Although I find myself using my iPhone more than I do my iPad. Although I do use the iPad more for web browsing, reading, etc. I still tend to favor my iPhone for Twitter and Facebook though. Otherwise, I still use my iPhone for pretty much anything (including games). But since my MBP sits on my desk, I definitely pull out my iPad when I want to browse a web sit real quick. Especially since my iPad generally is right next to bed, so there is the convienence factor there too.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
It's a luxury item not a must have.
You don't need an iPhone, iPad or a MBpro, either. My guess is that your life wouldn't end without any of these devices.

We all lived without iPads without a problem...if you are using one and you are only 6 months old, I apologize for the sweeping statement ;). The question isn't whether I need one to go on with my life. The question is whether I use it enough to justify the cost. I can easily say yes to that question. I may have a harder time justifying my laptop purchase a year before the iPad came out.

Whether or not you can get a cheap phone and live with just an iPad, is really more related to your lifestyle. I could probably learn to do it if I had a 3G iPad. I would have to start carrying a bag into work everyday and it will be more cumbersome to hook up (for music) in the car, but I could make it work if I needed to. I have thought about bringing the iPad into work everyday, so this would just force me to do it. It would be pretty cool to have Pandora playing in the background while I run the aquarium screensaver. I do that now with the iPhone and it does not really have the same impact.

Last edited:

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Honestly, if you'd ask me to choose between my iPhone or iPad I'd take my iPad easily. I've used both extensively, and since selling my iPad a month ago in anticipation of the second gen, there's a huge hole in my usage. Using an iPhone or my MBA to do the things I would do with my iPad is not the same (reading, watching, browsing, email, etc).

The iPad's experience is unparalleled, and that's why people who scream "big iPod touch!!!111" are wrong, it's not that, not even close. If you want an indication what a "big iPod" would look like, open an iPhone app and blow it up x2.

tills24

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I have MBP, iPhone 4, and iPad.

My MBP has essentially become a docked desktop (I have an external monitor, keyboard and mouse on my desk) since I bought the iPad.

My iPhone is crucial to my life, I don't have a landline phone, so it's my communication device, and I only use this for iTunes, because I plug it into my head-unit in the car, which controls iTunes, and I can listen to Pandora through it, as well as charge it.

My iPad, I used a ton when I first got it, but now it's mainly a surfing device and ereader. I don't have a problem with the virtual keyboard, but it still isn't as good for taking notes in class as a laptop or the old pen and paper is.

However, recently I've slowly used it less and less (other than for surfing on the couch and the kindle app), and gone back to taking the MBP with me to work to write notes in meetings, and back to a notebook and pen in class. I use DocsToGo for my office app on it, and unfortunately it does crash mid-note taking from time to time.

I've thought about selling the iPad, and going to a Kindle for an ereader, because of what my use of the iPad has become.

My two cents.

abriwin

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
vaguely related...

I have had an iPad for a while, since last summer a 16Gb wifi model. I used it a lot on holiday for photographs, with bento and the amazing Evernote.
Now I am thinking of getting an iPhone 4, will I be able to get wifi from the iPhone?

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I have had an iPad for a while, since last summer a 16Gb wifi model. I used it a lot on holiday for photographs, with bento and the amazing Evernote.
Now I am thinking of getting an iPhone 4, will I be able to get wifi from the iPhone?
Are you serious?

Regarding the OP, I have both, and the iPad is my home device - far better for browsing, sending e-mail, and typically has the better apps due to the larger screen. The iPhone is just that, a phone, and it goes with me when I'm out of the house. I can use the apps I'm familiar with, do all the usual surfing and fetch mail, as well as make use of the GPS and maps. One is not a replacement for the other, and anybody who thinks so obviously can't afford both.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Are you serious?

Regarding the OP, I have both, and the iPad is my home device - far better for browsing, sending e-mail, and typically has the better apps due to the larger screen. The iPhone is just that, a phone, and it goes with me when I'm out of the house. I can use the apps I'm familiar with, do all the usual surfing and fetch mail, as well as make use of the GPS and maps. One is not a replacement for the other, and anybody who thinks so obviously can't afford both.

I agreed till the part about they can't afford both. People are entitled to their opinions and that doesn't mean you're not able to afford it.

TEHi

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I always have my ipad in the kitchen connected to the philips fidelio dock with a music streaming service (tunein radio) and a cooking app/website. It doesn't get better than this.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The redundancy between the iPad and the iPhone 4 is actually the primary reason I almost never use my iPad anymore. My iPhone is with me everywhere. For "real" work, the iPad is just too limited and so I just bring along my 11" MBA, which is almost the same footprint as the iPad. Yes, I've tried all of the various productivity and networking apps on the iPad. It's trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, at least for what I do.

i even had two 3G plans for my iPad (I live on the border of two countries and travel back and forth a bit) and two plans for my iPhone. Quickly realized that 3G was TOTALLY unnecessary for my iPad since I had my iPhone. Yah, it's "nice" to have sometimes, but that's like 1% of the time.

These days I really only use the iPad to read and surf at night before I go to bed. That's about it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I had an ipad for about a week and actually ended up returning it because the screen resolution and RAM were frustratingly, noticeably worse than my iphone 4. With those 2 things fixed, I'd probably want one again because it really is a much better browsing and media consumption device.

AgentPendergast

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
Terrific thread here so far...I am thinking about getting an iPad as well. Question: Is the iPad any good for kids? Are there helpful apps, how are kids books to read? Thanks for any replies, much appreciated. ;)

newbiemacguy128

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
Terrific thread here so far...I am thinking about getting an iPad as well. Question: Is the iPad any good for kids? Are there helpful apps, how are kids books to read? Thanks for any replies, much appreciated. ;)

Kids really love it. Especially since its endless entertainment with the app store. Although the games aren't super high quality like console games, kids have short attention spans anyways :p. As for books, you have the Kindle app and iBooks, theres plenty of content.

One important thing to note though...get a REALLY good case if kids are gonna be handling this thing. Maybe even go for the Otterbox haha.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Ended up selling iPad

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my iPad, but I already had a 15" MBP and just recently bought my iP4 on VZW.

Things I love about the iPad:
1. The screen real estate is awesome for simple browsing
2. More portable than the laptop when I didn't need the horsepower which frankly is most of the time
3. iWork
4. I am a hunt and peck sort of typer so I found the iPad a joy to type one, it took a little bit of adjustment, but I got really good at it.
5. Loved the e-mail layout
6. I liked the music player layout a lot, though too big to be practical in this sense
7. Strapped on the back of the seat for the little kids to watch movies on road trips, probably the thing I will miss the most about it

Ultimately, my wife and I looked at our needs and decided that it wasn't something we "needed." It's super convenient, but not a need with both the iP4 and MBP.

I must say even though I'm sad to see the iPad go, I welcome back the the pocketability and portability of the iPhone. Games are quicker and easier to play and less distracting to other around you. I don't feel like I'm drawing a lot of attention with the iPhone whereas the iPad ALWAYS drew unwanted attention. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. The apps are much cheaper and in greater abundance. I love having the camera for HD vids of the kids. I just could no longer justify having one at this stage of our lives with 2 kids, graduating college, and saving for a house down payment. The nice thing was that I was able to sell it for $600 today when I only paid ~$700 plus tax 8 months ago.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Out of the house, the iPhone will be your main go to device.
In the house, the iPad will be your main go to device.

Then your computer will be the hub for both of these and will be used when you need to do tasks that aren't possible on the iPad or iPhone.

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my iPad, but I already had a 15" MBP and just recently bought my iP4 on VZW.

Last April I replaced a unibody 15" MBP + 24" Cinema with a 27" iMac + iPad and could not be happier.

I read all my news, periodicals, forums on the iPad and enjoy its stellar battery life.
Lightweight, little to no heat, no fans whirring.

Sure, I _could_ do that on my iPhone 4, but it is not as convenient and my eyes are not what they used to be. :)

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
Out of the house, the iPhone will be your main go to device.
In the house, the iPad will be your main go to device.

Then your computer will be the hub for both of these and will be used when you need to do tasks that aren't possible on the iPad or iPhone.

That's exactly how I use mine!

yahya4k

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
iPad is for word processing, surfing the net, watching youtube etc. iPhone is for making...

...phone calls. *gasp*:eek:

st1ngo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
Bought yet another ipad
I just keep convincing myself I need one !
All was well for a few days and then reality set in ...
I love my ip4
I love my MBP
I love my imac

try as I might I just can't find a place for my ipad
Love the idea but too many other things are just better at what I need to do

So once again its on ebay but at least this time I bought it from there so may even make a few pennies

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'm really looking forward to iPad 2, so I don't have to lug around my 15inch MBP to classes. I can tether my iPhone 4 to the iPad, so I don't need the 3G one. I want a case like the Zagg one with the keyboard, so I can take it to class and take notes, look at powerpoints without having carry the extra weight.

Apple, please impress me with the iPad 2

GT-R

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2010
i already own an iphone 4, and a mba 11"

if i get the ipad, would it be overkill?
my dad was thinking of getting one the other day, and my gf has hinted that she might need one (or a tablet, since her netbook is slow as hell)

if im getting it for both my dad and gf, i might as well pick one up myself... lol

if you were in my situation, would you use the ipad enough to justify the cost?

Liberal

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut
I'm really looking forward to iPad 2, so I don't have to lug around my 15inch MBP to classes. I can tether my iPhone 4 to the iPad, so I don't need the 3G one. I want a case like the Zagg one with the keyboard, so I can take it to class and take notes, look at powerpoints without having carry the extra weight.

Apple, please impress me with the iPad 2

+1 to all of this.

I already have to carry 30+ pounds of textbooks and notebooks all day, I'd much rather have a <1.5 lb computing device as opposed to my 5+ lb MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.