Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kabun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Hi. I just received this BenQ monitor. I have a Late 2013 Retina MBP 15" with HDMI and Thunderbolt. The monitor comes with DisplayPort, DVI, and USB 3.0 cables. It also has HDMI. I've read that DisplayPort is better technology over HDMI. I will be doing photography work on this monitor. My question is what cable do I need to use the DisplayPort? BenQ said I need a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable- is this correct?. I had a bad connection so I just wanted to double check. Any answers on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
... The monitor comes with DisplayPort, DVI, and USB 3.0 cables. It also has HDMI. I've read that DisplayPort is better technology over HDMI. I will be doing photography work on this monitor. My question is what cable do I need to use the DisplayPort? BenQ said I need a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable- is this correct?. I had a bad connection so I just wanted to double check. Any answers on this would be appreciated.
Yes, Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort is a great choice.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, but the BenQ SW2700PT monitor includes a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable in the box.
You don't have to purchase that powered DVI adapter, just to use the DVI at full res - when all you need is the simple MDP to DP cable that comes with it...
Did I say that I don't use adapters, if a single cable will do the job? Unless that dual-link DVI is somehow a better choice...

kabun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Yes, but the BenQ SW2700PT monitor includes a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable in the box.
You don't have to purchase that powered DVI adapter, just to use the DVI at full res - when all you need is the simple MDP to DP cable that comes with it...
Did I say that I don't use adapters, if a single cable will do the job? Unless that dual-link DVI is somehow a better choice...

So the cable is in the box...great! Does it plug in via Thunderbolt or USB? I haven't opened the box yet...it is a Christmas present to myself. :) I am going to try to wait until Christmas to open it. So tempting as it's sitting next to the tree.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You will have 4 cables in the box.
Power
USB (for the USB hub that's built-in, not for video)
DVI-DL - for a DVI connection, if you want to use that. You would need the $100 adapter to connect to your thunderbolt port.
Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, connects from the DisplayPort connector on the display, to the Thunderbolt port on your MBPro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.