Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Is counterweight needed to swing 7500 arm behind desk?

DSC_8996.jpg

DSC_8999.jpg
DSC_9010.jpg

This has been a helpful thread, so I'll post my question here rather than starting a new thread.

I just purchased an Innovative 7500 Arm on eBay, and I'm curious about counterweights and such for my situation. I'm planning on attaching it to my desk, and situating it so that it can be swung behind the desk to use on my couch. Very similar to this sweet recliner setup. I'm using an ikea Mikael desk (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40079218) and I have a 27" imac. I'm planning on mounting it with the included flexmount, with either the "desk edge" or "side mount" method.

Will I be able to swing the imac around the back like this without worry, or will I need some sort of counterweight, or other method of mounting it?

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
This has been a helpful thread, so I'll post my question here rather than starting a new thread.

I just purchased an Innovative 7500 Arm on eBay, and I'm curious about counterweights and such for my situation. I'm planning on attaching it to my desk, and situating it so that it can be swung behind the desk to use on my couch. Very similar to this sweet recliner setup. I'm using an ikea Mikael desk (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40079218) and I have a 27" imac. I'm planning on mounting it with the included flexmount, with either the "desk edge" or "side mount" method.

Will I be able to swing the imac around the back like this without worry, or will I need some sort of counterweight, or other method of mounting it?

it will work fine. i swing mine all around my room. sometimes the kids watch movies while i'm doing some extra work in my office. i swing mine around 180 degrees no problems at all. enjoy it!

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Fantastic! I'll probably never leave my house after this is all set up...

I'll have the option of computing/gaming (via xbox360+dr. Bott) while on the couch, and my wife can still watch TV/movies on the main TV, without me retreating to the other room like a cave-nerd or hogging the TV. win win!

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Fantastic! I'll probably never leave my house after this is all set up...

I'll have the option of computing/gaming (via xbox360+dr. Bott) while on the couch, and my wife can still watch TV/movies on the main TV, without me retreating to the other room like a cave-nerd or hogging the TV. win win!

my wife would still find a reason to complain! :)

Bukem

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Does anybody know of a decent european source for these 7500 arms?

You can get these on ebay US for $95 but they can't be bothered to accept bids from europe.

To pay $ 290 + import duties and VAT is getting silly...

Many thanks !

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Does anybody know of a decent european source for these 7500 arms?

You can get these on ebay US for $95 but they can't be bothered to accept bids from europe.

To pay $ 290 + import duties and VAT is getting silly...

Many thanks !

Not a single European buying lead for Bukem?

(If it makes you feel any better, I bought mine through an authorized reseller for about $250US including shipping, and four months in I consider it money well spent. The other plus is that you get the new improved design tilt mechanism (as revealed by OldCorpse earlier in the thread) - - this is a $50 upgrade in itself.)

Bukem

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Just got my 7500 arm in the mail, haven't started to set it up yet, though I did open the box and take a look at it all. I read that it's tricky setting up the first time, and that it can be difficult first moving the arm to set it up.

Does anyone here have input or helpful tips on setting the 7500 up with a 27" iMac?

Bukem

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Got a quote from Innovative Products in Europe.

They're having a laugh !

$ 568 VAT included - that's FIVE HUNDRED AND SIXTY EIGHT :eek::eek:

(or € 360 ex. 19% VAT)

Can somebody start a group buy on the other side of the big pond?

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
From the country that brought you the space shuttle's Canadarm, comes yet another radial articulating arm capable of mounting a 27" iMac: the SA300SSHD from anatome out of Canada.

By using a mini 16" pole that mounts to your desk via clamp, etc., the SA300SSHD offers an unusually wide vertical range of motion of 28". The horizontal range is more typical at 28" (sorry Longarmers), and the external cable mounting certainly falls in the inelegant category.

ANA-SA300SS-1.jpg

According to their pdf catalog the SA300SSHD model has a MSRP of $605 (plus the cost of mount option - eg: desk clamp $65) - - so Innovative is probably not going to lose any sleep over this competitor price wise.

The catalog also lists a second model capable of hoisting a 27" iMac - - the SA300HD, which does away with the mini pole in favor of a more typical desk mount. The price is lower at $478 (plus cost of mount option - - eg: desk clamp $30).

One interesting feature of this arm manufacturer is that in addition to the complete arms, they also sell all of the arm components separately (qv: pdf catalog pg. 24) - - so if you have a specific application for which you can't find an off-the-shelf solution, you may find some hope here.

Further, they have one mounting option I haven't seen elsewhere: a door mount! This is a bracket that hangs over the top of a door and then supports a wall track onto which you can mount your arm. Who knows? It may be just the thing for people with issues finding a strong wall to tap into. (qv: pdf catalog pg. 32)

Yaggo

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
Helsinki, Finland
Does anyone here have input or helpful tips on setting the 7500 up with a 27" iMac?

Setting up the arm is not rocket surgery. The only scary part is replacing iMac's default stand with VESA mount adapter, because expensive electronic & fragile glass is involved, but that's neither brain science, assuming you can read the instructions friendly included by Steve. :)

doofoo

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Has anyone done a swing out, or any type of arm/mount that comes out over their bed? I am looking for a solution that will swing out over my bed to work/watch movies/shows, etc.

Solutions or suggestions appreciated!

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Has anyone done a swing out, or any type of arm/mount that comes out over their bed? I am looking for a solution that will swing out over my bed to work/watch movies/shows, etc.

Solutions or suggestions appreciated!

I imagine you're looking at a set-up something along the lines of the one Yaggo described earlier in this thread:

If you have a conveniently positioned table or dresser beside your bed it can mount there - - it will probably have to be almost half way down your bed to allow for sufficient viewing distance. A wall mount would be another option, if your bed is located close enough to a suitable wall.

doofoo

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
i at first mounted it with the supplied bracket. i however ordered the upgraded mount that took like 5 weeks to come in. when that came in since i paid 36 plus 14 shipping i used it.

my thoughts are the standard bracket flexes a little bit. but it's steel and that's no biggie. the upgraded one is solid with no flex. knowing what i know now i would probably not spend the extra 50 on the biggger one. i don't see it being neccesary. hope that helps! i can post picks of the new one if you like. let me know!

Sorry for bringing back this old post - but was this for the Innovative 7500-1500? A upgraded wall mount? Can you post pics of the arm fully extended as well and post the part number? I'm trying to find an upgraded mount for the wall.

I'm doing a 27" mounted on the wall, my bed is against that wall and it'll swing out over my bed. ;)

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
A upgraded wall mount? Can you post... the part number? I'm trying to find an upgraded mount for the wall.

The heavy-duty wall mount for the 7500 is known as Model 8325 (note: you will need to click on the Wall Mount link on this Mounting Options page for a photo & description... and be sure not to miss the awe-inspiring :)rolleyes:) Flash demonstration - - it gives Avatar a run for the money in the cutting edge FX dept.

(Also, here's Innovative's Knowledgebase answer to the eternal question: What is the difference [between] the 8325 Heavy Duty Wall Mount and the 8111 Flexmount (which also enables wall mounting)? Why would I choose one over the other?)

doofoo

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
The heavy-duty wall mount for the 7500 is known as Model 8325 (note: you will need to click on the Wall Mount link on this Mounting Options page for a photo & description... and be sure not to miss the awe-inspiring :)rolleyes:) Flash demonstration - - it gives Avatar a run for the money in the cutting edge FX dept.

(Also, here's Innovative's Knowledgebase answer to the eternal question: What is the difference [between] the 8325 Heavy Duty Wall Mount and the 8111 Flexmount (which also enables wall mounting)? Why would I choose one over the other?)

Cool.. I ordered it this morning along with the 7500-1500. I will have it mounted up this weekend with the VESA mount from Apple and move the bed around to accomodate it.

Anyone have any suggestions on a trackpad/ball or something I can use from the bed? I already have a Apple bluetooth keyboard I plan on using, but a optical mouse won't work out well in bed.

Chubby Davis

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
I found Odd's obit when I was digging around on the Innovative site for the info about the heavy duty mount that TheBearman had asked about. I was surprised to see a new press release in their News section, since the previous one had been two and a half years earlier. Same goes for their Knowledgebase section on which the newest entries seem to be from 2007. It seems like their heart really isn't in the Arm business, but perhaps this has to do with the CEO being the innovator and his accomplishments and involvement fading into the past. It's sad to see their decent product line cheaply shovelled out to resellers.

I find it more encouraging to seeing Arm companies on the other side of the the curve, such as the recently discussed Flatscreen Arms, makers of the Mantis 30. (BTW, I'm interested in hearing your opinion on their product based on that video of their iMac arm in action.) They seem to be a young vibrant company listening to the market and evolving their product line accordingly. It will surely be a company like that that will ultimately fulfil our unrequited dreams of long arms.

That is, of course, unless Arm By OldCorpse© beats them to it!

(Let it be known that I want in on the ground floor - - just say the word and I'll begin setting up the first round of regional interviews with the cream of the crop of gifted young mechanical engineers.)

Our friends at Flatscreen Arms have change there name to monitorsinmotion.com Looks like there store is getting ready to ship!
Hopefully before June 1.

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
I bought the innovative 7500 and for the most part, it's great. It does take quite a bit off adjusting and tinkering to really get it set up right. It doesn't move neearly as well as I'd hope, but the weight of the 27" imac is to blame for that, more than the arm. It is possible to move around, just more difficult than I would have guessed.

I do, however, worry about the amount of weight and leverage, and really whether my desk can take it. I have a cheap ikea desk so it's just particle board for the most part, and I've mounted it with the included flexmount desk clamp. When the arm is extended even half way, it leans very noticeably, and makes me slightly nervous. Is this normal? I'm curious if this is an indicator that my desk can't fully support such a long arm with such a heavy display? or will arms of this length always "lean" a little when extended?

Also wondering in general if there are any suggestions for reinforcing the mount so I don't have to worry about it cracking my poor cheap desk? Or am I just being paranoid about my desk breaking and my poor 27imac falling to pieces?

Thanks all

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I bought the innovative 7500 and for the most part, it's great. It does take quite a bit off adjusting and tinkering to really get it set up right. It doesn't move neearly as well as I'd hope, but the weight of the 27" imac is to blame for that, more than the arm. It is possible to move around, just more difficult than I would have guessed.

I do, however, worry about the amount of weight and leverage, and really whether my desk can take it. I have a cheap ikea desk so it's just particle board for the most part, and I've mounted it with the included flexmount desk clamp. When the arm is extended even half way, it leans very noticeably, and makes me slightly nervous. Is this normal? I'm curious if this is an indicator that my desk can't fully support such a long arm with such a heavy display? or will arms of this length always "lean" a little when extended?

Also wondering in general if there are any suggestions for reinforcing the mount so I don't have to worry about it cracking my poor cheap desk? Or am I just being paranoid about my desk breaking and my poor 27imac falling to pieces?

Thanks all

Sounds like it may be time for a new desk. ;)

(If the desk ends up snapping, it might then be time for a new desk and a new iMac. :eek: )

Though alternatives may be:

• to use a nearby wall - - the FlexMount can be screwed right into a joist (mystikjoe discusses this on page 6 of this thread with a pic)

• or perhaps you might consider reinforcing your desk with strips of plywood on the top and/or bottom surfaces where the clamp attaches to it

On my own 7500 set-up which is clamped to my desk, I added an extra bolt through the upper bolt hole of the FlexMount. It goes right through the side of my desk including one of the larger members of the frame and is secured with a large washer and bolt on the inside. Before I added this, I noticed a fair bit of sway when I moved the arm - - now it is rock solid.

doofoo

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Few pics of my setup. 7500-1500 with the upgraded wall mount.

Apparently they sell a 6 or 8 inch extension for the 7500 as well? Anyone know anything about it? With that extensions this would be even better.

As it stands I love it!

Yeah - I'm that lazy guy...
DSC_0354-resize.jpg

DSC_0355-resize.jpg

DSC_0357-resize.jpg

EDIT: Oh yeah - And the TV is being moved to the wall across from the bed so I can actually see it. We just moved the bed into that spot to accomodate the iMac arm.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Try these folks. They say they ship international. The price is a little higher than Amazon ($152) but they have all 3 color options. Ordered the silver and received it within about 2 weeks. VERY heavy compared to arms I've had in the past.

Provantage.com

Grr, AMEX and Bank Transfer only, with BT adding $35 to the cost? Pricey!

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Not exactly on topic, but it does relate to iMacs and articulating arms, but it's such a cute and clever example of recycling that I just couldn't resist...

DSCF0017.JPG.jpg

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Here is a YouTube video showing two monitors being mounted on two articulating arms from Monitors in Motion - - a Cobra and an M20 (which I believe is the earlier Mantis model).

For those curious about the VESA plate installation, which has been discussed numerous times in this thread, the video includes a clear sequence of shots (0:35-1:23) of it being installed on the back of an Apple Cinema Display.

(via the blog TypicalMacUser.com)

Chubby Davis

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
Hope are good friends at Motions are still on for June 1. Seems they took that date off of there site!!! Got e-mail going to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.