Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
Maybe somebody could help me with this. I got an AVI file from a buddy but when I open it with Quicktime it says I'm missing some kind of software and it only plays the audio. Another time it said that the required compressor could not be found. Can anybody help me out?

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
VLC was nice, but MPlayer sold me and I have never looked back. BTW - In some cases you can add CODECs to QT to read AVIs. Still, download MPlayer. It's the greatest.

Dan

mattevil

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2002
download both the codecs from 3ivx.com and divx.com and it should work in quicktime

jes13

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2002
Vermont
mplayer

I also received an AVI movie of my Grandson (baby - 1st) - - - I was unable to 'save it' - how do we 'SAVE' the movies? And where do we save to?? I received the same message as above something about 'missing' something, in Quicktime.

Also - this mplayer is this something 'extra' we have to buy or a 'free download' - how do I find if I have a 'copy' of it on my G4? (I looked in 'finder'). Be patient with me guys - I just 'switched' and I am still 'learning' how to use my Mac!

Thanks!

Jeanne

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
MPlayer isn't on your Mac by default, you have to download it and install it yourself (it's really simple though)

You can download it here and just double click on it and then double click on the .pkg file that's in the disk image, follow the instructions, and you now have a working MPlayer.
smiley.gif

To save the AVI file (I'm assuming that you got it in an e-mail), just right or control-click on it and save it to wherever you want. Then open MPlayer (you may have to force it to quit first by right or control-clicking on it and selecting quit, then restart it) and drag the video into the MPlayer window and press play.
smiley.gif

mattevil

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2002
mplayer is a free download you can get it here

as to how you save I'd need to know how you are receiving the file.
also you can get VideoLan Client here

jes13

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2002
Vermont
Thank YOU

Thank you both I'll try it ! So Mp is 'free'?

I know I"ll have pix today and/or movies again LOL...

Jeanne

jes13

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2002
Vermont
MPlayer

O.K. I downloaded and installed the MP, shouldn't this dmg thingy disappear now? I have the other (disk thingy) for mp player. How do I open it? Sorry people told you this is all new to me - used to PC - but I'll get used to it :(

Jeanne

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
disk images can be kind of confusing at first. you should have downloaded a file that was named something like "mplayer09b.dmg". depending on your browser, it may have automatically opened (if not, you just have to double click it). this will load a virtual disk on your computer and you can open it up in the finder just like a normal hard disk and install mplayer. if you restart, the mounted disk image will disapear, but the actual .dmg file will still be on your computer until you delete it. you can also eject the disk image once you're done installing by dragging it's icon to the trash or control-clicking it and selecting "eject". it can be tough to explain how they work, but if you deal with them enough, it makes sense.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i just got the file mplayer0.90pre9b5.dmg, but is that only the gui or something? so now i'm getting the file lastbinary.sit. is that the one that i put in /usr/local/bin/mplayer?

could someone please explain this to me, i want to get it right this time.

mattevil

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2002
the binary isnt important just open the mplayer0.90pre9b5.dmg and click on the installer. itll ask you for a system password and will be in your applications folder when its done.

jes13

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2002
Vermont
mplayer dmg

Right finally got rid of the 'extra' icon from the mplayer - but how do you WORK the Mplayer? Or is it just supposed to 'open' up when I get a movie to play? Would it just open up like the player used to do in MS (PC)? Also I am trying to 'learn' my Mac - and I found an application called "Art Directors Toolkit" and I printed out 15 pages of how to 'use it' but I cannot get the program to 'open' - this is a refurbished G4 (NEW) Mac - and being that "I'm" new at this I don't know if it needs to be looked at or why the application won't 'open'??? (Hope I'm making sense here?) Thanks!
Jeanne

:confused: Being a 'newbie' Mac user - guess I'll always have a million and one questions - sorry!

jes13

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2002
Vermont
Ryan?

A DiVx code??? Validate??? (How - and how do I 'check' that?) Oooohh I sound dumb, just remember I'm used to 'windoze!' :-( Also why can't I 'open' this "Art Directors Toolkit?" Thanks

NOT 13 either LOL

Jeanne

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.