Best book for Cocoa/Obj-C

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MorphingDragon, Jun 22, 2009.

1. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Whats a book you would recommend to learn Cocoa/Objective-C and maybe Cocoa Touch? I was think of the For Dummies book as I got their HTML/XHTML/CSS/JAVASCRIPT book and it was pretty well written and went into plenty of depth. :apple:

http://www.dummies.com/store/produc...ac-OS-X-For-Dummies.productCd-0470432896.html

Is there a better book that is relatively simple?
    Before recommending something can I ask to make sure its available at either:
    www.whitcoulls.co.nz
    www.seekbooks.co.nz
    www.techbooks.co.nz

as I got a warning for customs that if I want to import anything more Ill have to apply for a license.

2. macrumors newbie

maolsen

"Programming in Objective-C 2.0 (2nd Edition) by Stephen Kochan" and "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X (3rd Edition) by Aaron Hillegass." Both of these books seem to be more popular than any other Obj-C and Cocoa book on the market. I can also say from my own experience that they are both written very well.

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors member

Seconding these. I'm going through Programming in Objective-C 2.0 just now and it serves as both an excellent introduction to programming, OOP and the Objective-C language.

5. macrumors member

nyte3k

I second Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X (3rd Edition) by Aaron Hillegass
    I had the second edition as well, and this book has worked great for me.

6. thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I got the Aaron Hillegass book, I ahd a quick look in i and it was very very good.

I still want to know why there is a vesper on it though :S

7. macrumors regular

Programming in Objective-C 2.0 (2nd Edition) by Stephen Kochan

I'm currently in the process of reading it for the second time, first time I got the gist of it. Now the 2nd time through everything is really sinking in :cool:

The book is well written and informative, teaching the language under the assumption of no previous programing knowledge gives anyone a chance to learn Objective-C. Though those with previous programing knowledge may have a bit of a head start and may want to just skim the first couple chapters.

I read the book with some prior, minor, knowledge of C++ so it helped a bit.
    The writer of the book is very active in his own forums always out to help anyone in need of assistance, and has helped me a few times. Also all the answers (to the exercises) and programing examples are available on his forum as well which is a nice added bonus.

All in all I would suggest this book to anyone looking to learn Objective-C

8. macrumors newbie

jinksys

9. macrumors member

Second — Kochan & Hillegass — that's how I started.

10. macrumors newbie

Can't go wrong with Kochan or Hillegass. On Chapter four of Kochan. Hillgass right next to be for later.