Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Best Buy isn't great, but I agree with them here. No company should be able to pull marketing gimmicks like those. Best Buy sells stupid Monster cables, but at least they're ethical.

Last edited:

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
So did Best Buy actually lose 65k or did they just not make as much as they potentially could have?

To investors it's the exact same thing

----------

Best Buy kinda sucks, but I agree with them here. No company should be able to pull marketing gimmicks like those.

Gimmicks? If they're okay with losing money to bring people into their stores, who's to stop them? So much whining

----------

I'm all for saving money, but honestly, **** Wal-Mart. The only way I shop at Wal-Mart is if it's near a community known to have higher class people, because the staff obviously, no the whole store, is completely different compared to others that are established in ghetto communities.

I still gotta go there like once every two weeks or so to buy my snacks for work. Apparently Wal-Mart is the only one that carries sunchips around my area. Wish there was a Krogers or HEB closer to my neighborhood. :(

Oh no.....class warfare of the wal mart shoppers. What constitutes "higher class?" Those willing to spend more on the exact same things?

Here's a heads up: communities that have those who are higher on the socioeconomic ladder typically don't have wal marts.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Best Buy, the king of deceptive sleaze gimmicks, "bundling", and other BS tactics with product launches and other in demand products.

It wasn't that long ago that Best Buy got "caught" re-using stored signatures from their point of sale terminals, by using deceptive magazine subscription pitches from the cashiers and causing people all kinds of hassle with billing.

Look back at the PS/2, XBox, PS/3, etc. launches. You could not buy just the console. You were "required" to buy the thing with all kinds of crap accessories.

Now take into consideration the kickbacks they get for signing up the account in the first place.

Go pound sand.

Poor babies. They loose $65,000 every day with some of the half baked idiots they hire. Work the problem from within.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Poooor Best Buy!

They've been screwing people for years.Anything that hurts them is fine with me.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
what if best buy just made their stores smaller like apple stores ? theres no need for a damn warehouse that big with over 25 people doing the same thing yet none of them knowing anything different. oh you want to know about a certain camera ? go over there to that department. you get there

oh i dont work in sales im just organizing the stock... finally drone number 3 comes along..

oh he isnt up to date with the latest products we have to walk over to one of those computer kiosks so he can look it up online. lol what a joke. not a single guy in best buy knows anything about graphics cards besides whatever is on the world of warcraft requirements section on the back of the box lmao

basically just downsize and start to beat amazon with QUALITY of quantity. otherwise like the other person said you will jus have window shoppers. i buy on amazon because with the student discount here in NJ no tax and free shipping. i cannot for the life of me find a SINGLE site on the internet right now with better prices. only those unknown sites someone has to find for you that have some crazy 30% off sale for a single day. other then that for books, electronics, even some clothes are starting to be cheaper because no tax and free shipping. once tax hits online sales its going to be a pain and ill have to look elsewhere

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
There's plenty of commission to be had on a phone sale. It might be less for an iPhone but they'll still make money.

Besides, I'm sure Best Buy actually gained some business from someone realizing they can save money on an iPhone vs. buying it from Apple direct.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Consumers have proven time and again that they only thing they care about is the immediate bottom line price. Period. They are not interested in the long term ramifications of any purchase decision or the impact to the industry, employees or ultimately themselves.

It's just how people are wired.

Capatalism is good in many ways. But one thing that will always hurt it is the selfishness and greed that is inherent in human beings.

Decisions made on the micro level, by consumers and the people who run industry, will ALWAYS put their immediate benefit over what's best for the big picture. A fallacy of capatalism is the market will 'correct' or 'encourage' the optimal solution. People often use the simple theory of supply and demand and market price being naturally established.

But the real world is infinitely more complex than that. An example would be Americans complaining about jobs being shipped out of the country...yet voting with their dollars to encourage that behavior.

Very well stated, thank you :)

It's really no more complicated than that for most people.

Read above

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Better pricing would fix that. Make the price closer and id be willing to pay a little more. But bb is always much more with bad sevice

It's the "service" that kills BB for me. I usually try and buy locally if possible... but unless it is an emergency, I avoid my local Best Buy since it is always a disheveled mess and they only seem to hire employees who couldn't get hired by the neighborhood self-serve yogurt shop.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I hate wal mart I wouldn't shop there even if they offered apple products for 50% off.

Evil company.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Walmart selling something at a loss is nothing new. Any executive at Best Buy who hasn't studied Walmart's tactics and considered them before approving price-matching and other promotions isn't worth his salt. Walmart is now their biggest competitor, at least in terms of physical stores, for electronics. They are ruthless at being cheap, and Best Buy will have to compensate.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
It's funny that best buy is complaining about profit losses when their off contact phones are usually at least $200 more than anyone else.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Every time I've tried to do a price match at our local Best Buy they call local stores to see if the product is in stock.

Most times, they cannot get through to the store in question (because the other store is too busy and won't answer their phones), or they get through, and find out that the other stores are out of stock.

Best Buy then refuses to price match because of the lack of stock in competing store. This is all stated in their price matching guarantee, but I guess not enforced everywhere.

Maybe the managers at our local Best Buys are more vigilant about not losing money on price matching. This has stopped me altogether from even trying Best Buy price matches. Which is either a win or a loss for Best Buy depending on how much they buy the product for. They either didn't lose money, or lost a sale.

Except that Wal-Mart did indeed have these in stock, several friends and colleagues bought iPhone 5's at Wal-Mart, even as recent as just a couple days ago, at Wal-Mart for the sale prices.

mckey

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
I got up early Dec 24 and drove 40 miles to the nearest best buy store to pick up the iphone 5 sales associate tells me over the phone the previous day sure no problem we'll match the walmart $ 127 price.Get in the store and of course the sales associate I spoke to wasn't working and had to deal with the mobile manager.Mentioned the price match about speaking to the sales associate the previous day.This a$$hat manager says well that was yesterday todays another day.I turned around and walked out.Now I remember why I haven't shopped at BB in years.They can go to hell before I'll ever spend another dime of my money with them. :mad:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Best Buy said it lost about $65,000 in profit the day Wal-Mart's promotion first ran on Facebook, because it was compelled to match Wal-Mart's advertised $150 price, even though it concluded that Wal-Mart didn't actually have a sufficient number of iPhones available.

This is their own policy, is it not? They didn't have to price match.

iglobe

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012

Attachments

• iphone 6.png
    iphone 6.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 124

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
This has been WalMart's modus operandi for years and years. The big difference here is in the past WalMart has driven the little guy out of business, now apparently they are hitting Best Buy.

No news here.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Is this the same Best Buy that routinely lists product X on their website for one price, then you go to the store, bring the item to check-out, and it rings up at a higher price? Then (because I actually pay attention to this) I have to alert the cashier, they look up the online price, then they call a manager over to approve the price change. Other customers who didn't think to check the Best Buy website price or simply aren't paying attention during checkout get screwed over, though.

Yeah, I don't feel too bad for them. Here's another Best Buy experience...

They have item X on sale. My local store also happens to have the same item X as an open-box. I go to the local store and ask them what the open-box price is. Same price as the new item sale price. I ask them if they will adjust lower. No. I ask the manager. Same answer. I look at them like, "You do realize this makes absolutely no sense - why would anyone pay the same price for an open box item as they can get the new item for *FROM THE SAME STORE*" Then I tell them...whatever...I'll take a new one at the sale price. My time gets further wasted as they go to look for it, but can't find it. The inventory system says they have one, but they can't find it. I can't help but think it's probably there somewhere, but they're just too incompetent/lazy to find it. So then, I leave and have to waste more of my time (and gas money) by driving 30 miles farther to their next closest store to get it.

But I also have a personal experience about the story this thread is about...Before Xmas I hear about the Walmart sale, but my local Walmart isn't popping up online as having them available (I try calling but get put on hold forever and hang up, and don't bother driving to the store to find out). I preferred not to buy it from Walmart because I was afraid the people there might somehow screw something up, and had more faith in Best Buy to handle the upgrade correctly (I have unlimited data but was also looking to use the upgrade I had available for my phone but actually upgrade my daughter's phone). So I go to the local Best Buy and ask if they can match the Walmart price. They tell me that the local Walmart doesn't have them in stock, so no. I tell them that according to the Walmart website, the next closest Walmart (about 20 mins away) does have them, but they don't care. They then inform me that they're out of stock of the model I want, anyway. I leave, but am actually happy not to have given them my money.

Then I drive over to the local Radio Shack. The store is empty (remember, this is just before Xmas) and the very nice female manager there tells me that she can't match the Walmart price because they require an actual printed ad from Walmart. Their price was $150, which was still decent, and I figured that it might be worth saving myself the hassle of driving 20 mins to Walmart, possibly finding that they've sold the last one, and possibly having them screw up the upgrade. The Radio Shack manager checks the back room and tells me they have none of the model I want. But she calls another store 20 mins away and asks them to hold 3 of them for her. She asks me if I want it that night, or if I want, she can pick them up on her way home from work, and will bring them in to her store the next morning and can hold one for me. Part of me still thought about trying Walmart to save a few bucks. Gas money was a non-issue as I had to go near the other Walmart location the next day, anyway. But Radio Shack was also offering a $10 coupon for every $50 you spent, so it really ended up being $120 (after coupons) anyway. I told her to go ahead and get one for me and went back the next day to get it. Again, business was slow, and she got everything upgraded properly (well, I'm assuming...I haven't gotten my first new bill yet). Now *that's* great customer service!

Obviously, those are just a few of my own personal stories. YMMV. Maybe you have great people/experiences at your local Best Buy. Maybe your local Radio Shack sucks. But based on most of my Best Buy experiences, I frankly won't shed a tear when they go out of business, which I fully expect them to do. I do use the local store mostly as a showroom for my Amazon orders, and I don't feel ashamed about it, because they've never gone out of their way to be helpful to me or to offer me a competitive price, and have frequently tried to scam me out of money by having items ring up higher than they sell them online. Good riddance.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Walmart lied about their clothing being Made in America when it was made in Bangladesh. They lied about their Ad Match Guarantee. Walmart is not to be trusted!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.