Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

google

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I went into my local Best Buy last night in Aurora, IL (Yes, that Aurora - the one from Wayne's World) and when I asked the "mobile" guy, he asked me if I bought the phone at Best Buy. When I told him no, he said it was only if you bought it there. I asked if they had to verify that the purchase was made at BB and he said yes. Then he said that Best Buy was doing it to "clean up Apple's mess." He was a bit of a douche.
Can anyone verify what this guy told me? Should I just go to another Best Buy and try again? I only want the shield for protection. I don't have any issues with dropped calls, call clarity or signal attenuation with my iPhone 4.

I live right behind it and hate going to it. The ppl are there are pricks!

carreragt7

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I've actually had these on my iPhone 4 for about two weeks. If you buy the maximum protection shield (not the full body) it comes with these. It is $25 from zagg but if you just do a simple google search you can usually find at least a 20% off discount code. I bought two maximum protections and one zagg skin at the same time, using a 50% off code I got from signing up my junk email account to their weekly free ipad giveaway they have been running lately.

I didn't have a dropped call issue before installing it, I did have some bars drop but never a dropped call from it or any other reason. With them on I don't even have a signal drop if I try. I'm sure if I gave it a really good death grip I might be able to,but in my natural holding position (I'm left handed and hold it exactly how people say it shouldn't be held) it works great. Now if AT&T didn't try and rape my wallet by sending me a $290 bill instead of the groping bill of $120 it should be.

I like invisibleSHIELDS on my devices, used them on all my MBs, MBPs, and iPhones in the past 2 years or so. They are way better looking than most of the cases available for electronics. Sure, up close they might be a little weird looking but if you install it well it is hardly noticeable and lasts a long time. They also have a lifetime warranty so if yours does discolor or peel up you just take it off and send it in for a new one. The material does have a bit of stretch to it, so be careful when applying it or it can look crappy. Worst case scenario you just take it off and request a new one. On my current one I somehow got a tiny hair in the screen area, but it hasn't bothered me enough to take it off yet.

Hope this helps anyone considering getting these for free or paying for them. I think they are overpriced at regular retail, and not a bad deal if you get them with a discount code. If people really want pics I can track down my dslr.

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Hey, it's free.

If this catches on, we'll be seeing a new line of products(from Apple) that will have a in-built design flaw so that the cost of rectifying it will be passed down to retailers who want to sell the product(that has to be able to sell by itself) or the users themselves.

I'm sure they didn't purposefully plan it in the first place, but this one helluva cost saving strategy is working out pretty well by now.

Who cares about the backlash and negative feedback. People just want their shinnies.

rg2k

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Only if you bought your iPhone4 at BB - need to show your receipt

I 've been at BB yesterday to let them place the shield - nope. Only for those who bought their iPhone4 at BB, thus not for anybody as suggested in the MacRumors article. Would have been too good to be true...sorry guys

tonylxxviii

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't buy my iPhone4 at Best Buy and still got the 4FIX for free and no they didn't "up-sell" me anything. I got mine on Thursday and so far they've stayed on fine although no change to the antennae issue. Glad it was free!

SiliconAlchemy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
Naperville, IL
I went into my local Best Buy last night in Aurora, IL (Yes, that Aurora - the one from Wayne's World) and when I asked the "mobile" guy, he asked me if I bought the phone at Best Buy. When I told him no, he said it was only if you bought it there. I asked if they had to verify that the purchase was made at BB and he said yes. Then he said that Best Buy was doing it to "clean up Apple's mess." He was a bit of a douche.
Can anyone verify what this guy told me? Should I just go to another Best Buy and try again? I only want the shield for protection. I don't have any issues with dropped calls, call clarity or signal attenuation with my iPhone 4.

Wow... pretty cool to see another local on here -- I was just at 310 (that's the Aurora store, if you're talking about Aurora/Naperville) this very day. That store has always had a reputation for being sketchy and not very helpful.

I didn't know about this program until just now, so I didn't check it out, but I will try to on Monday or Tuesday.

SiliconAlchemy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
Naperville, IL
wow...you really buy everything steve jobs says hook, line, and sinker. talk about a fanboy.

everyone knew that the reception was an issue, and that apple didn't have a fix for it...which would explain why apparently so few people called in to complain, because what would be the point?

as far as "plenty of other smartphones" suffering from the same problem, i have yet to see another smartphone that can completely lose signal by placing a single finger on the corner of the phone.

seems like you are the one that needs to get a sense of reality, instead of buying whatever reality jobs and apple are trying to (and apparently have) sold you

What's interesting here is that YOU don't cite if you have the phone and/or have personally experienced the issue.

I've had the 4 for two weeks, and I certainly have more dropped calls than I had on my BB Tour on VZW... but two things to note: in the Aurora/Naperville, IL area, I have several friends who have more signal issues with ATT than I did with VZW -- on various phones... the other is that I can't replicated a signal issue, other than at specific locations... which also leads me to believe those issues are ATT/concrete buildings -- not the 4.

The other thing I've thought of -- why do some people seem to be able to duplicate but others can't?

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
I 've been at BB yesterday to let them place the shield - nope. Only for those who bought their iPhone4 at BB, thus not for anybody as suggested in the MacRumors article. Would have been too good to be true...sorry guys

my local BB installed the kit on mine and never asked if I purchased the phone there. no receipt no nothing. I bought my phone from att not BB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.