Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Genetheninja

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Big deal. I saw iPad 2's for $70 off all models at Meijer in MI last week.... I'm waiting for the 3 to come out, then I'm going to get an iPad 1 for even cheaper for my son...

Mikedexter

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
Ya this isn't huge news, but a $100 for a new screen and faster processor, a little pricey but we will see. Picked up a 64 gb today! Sold my 16gb over the weekend on ebay! Hell of a deal in the long run, plus I have thirty days to return :) if I just happen to love the new iPad! We will see. I have a feeling its just going to be nuts and way too hard to get one for the first two months or so that or people are content with their iPad 2. I just feel that $80 if true sucks!! I don't care what the reason for it is. My macbook is on the fritz, so I could get an entry model for the price of a high end iPad, but those who have the cash, enjoy!! Should be a beaut!

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Just as I said in the other thread-- now I REALLY don't know what to do... with the iPad 2 price dropping and the rumor of the price of the 3 going up... ugh.

In truth, I don't see how both rumors could be correct. Doesn't it seem much more likely that the retailers are going off the best info their supply chain can give them, while the unsourced Asian price JPG is likely a fabrication? Haven't we seen with the iPhone what Apple is likely to do with its aging mobile products -- heck, isn't that what Apple already does with previous Mac models through refurb deals?

If I had to place a bet right now I would expect to see iPad 3 released at the iPad 2 price scheme, and each iPad 2 discounted $100 from its current level.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

People will not spend more (if it's a considerable amount) unless it is a redesign.

Just my opinion, I don't care much for yours on mine.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Thanks for the advice. Did you pre-order directly from Apple?
Yes, through the Apple online store. In fact, I wouldn't recommend pre-ordering from anyone but Apple. A friend of mine pre-orded an iPhone 4 from Best Buy when it was originally released. Let's just say he would have had better luck waiting in line on launch day.

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I heard $80 off an iPad2 at Meijer. And another source with limited supply at $100 off. Hopefully entry level iPad3 is $499.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

People will not spend more (if it's a considerable amount) unless it is a redesign.

Just my opinion, I don't care much for yours on mine.

Oh, I think you would be wrong here.

Shop

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Wow. The Apple TV is now sold out online too at Best Buy.

Could we see a new Apple TV tomorrow ?

[update]

Apple B&M stores show this for the Apple TV :

Most stores show available March 7th.

Nope, my stores say either in stock or March 3.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Personally I dont see the point in having a 3g/4g enabled iPad. I always have my phone with me, and most phones support tethering or can be used as WiFi hotspots, so an extra data plan is pointless. But thats just me though.

Obviously if you don't need one NO one does!

Nah just kidding...... I honestly don't need a 3g/4g unit and wouild just teather if I did need it out and about but there are those that do (or think they do). It would seem to be easier and cheaper to simply pay for the teather plan instead of a seperate data plan.... At lease I think that's the case.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
Best Buy Preparing for iPad Updates with $50 Price Cut, Inventory Cuts...

...and Windows95-based inventory system :D

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I went ahead and bought my first iPad on Saturday for $499. Woke up Sunday morning to an e-mail showing they were now $449. I took my receipt up to Best Buy and they happily refunded the difference.

I'm very pleased with the 16gb wi-fi version. I don't think there is anything in the rumored three that I need.
And when the price drops again, they should refund you again. At least that's what Apple will do for up to 2 weeks I believe.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
...and Windows95-based inventory system :D

Simplicity works best for these systems. The less moving parts the better, which is why they use an ancient/bare OS. If it breaks, they can't sell anything.

----------

And when the price drops again, they should refund you again. At least that's what Apple will do for up to 2 weeks I believe.

I'm sorry but absolutely not. This business of refunding people for price drops is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Early adopters pay more and if a price is too high for you, don't buy it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Personally I dont see the point in having a 3g/4g enabled iPad.

Then don't buy one. I on the other hand do see a point in it and will quite enjoy mine as will many others

----------

If you like what you see when the iPad 3 is announced (the press conference precedes the actual release) you could pre-order it.

Assuming they have pre-orders. It's not a guarantee. And even if they do, who is to say that the actual release would still be in time. Although if one had proof the order was placed, I would think the recipient would be willing to forgive not getting a gift on his/her birthday. At least one would hope

----------

I'm sorry but absolutely not. This business of refunding people for price drops is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Early adopters pay more and if a price is too high for you, don't buy it.

They do it because if they don't then folks will just return what they bought only to buy a new one at the cheaper price. Rather like the folks that will demand that you ring things up in multiple transactions so they can get the best deal (in their point of view).

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
certain talking heads on this site constantly try and drive home the idea that stores can't keep the iPad in stock. Why would BB need to clear stock? :rolleyes:

BillG53

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2012
Best Buy has been offering a $50 sale price a number of times in the past. In fact I returned an iPad 2 at Christmas that I bought for $50 off because I wanted to wait for a 3. Best Buy's sale of $50 off is nothing new.

Move on people.... nothing to see here.

edit: Oops. Sorry. Meant to say Microcenter.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Just wait and see how it all turns out. It would be a bad move by Apple to boost the price of the iPad. Talk about bad press...

But if Apple retains a model of the iPad 2—say, 16GB WiFi-only—and prices it at, say, $349, the positive press of that move will easily outshine any negative press of price increases for the iPad HD. (There, I said it, the iPad 3 will be called the iPad HD!)

Mark

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Apple will reimburse you the difference if there's a price drop within a few weeks(up to a month I've heard) when for instance a newer model comes out. But you have to make the call, Apple won't just send you a check in the mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.