Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
If the rumors of $99 clearance pricing for the 16GB model this weekend are correct, I'm in. I'm sure they'll get Android running on it, heck it runs on the iPhone, but it'll be useful just with webOS.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/let-the-liquidation-begin-hps-16gb-touchpad-on-sale-for-99/

Best Buy claims to be out of stock online and in stores...

B

I am considering that, but why? What can I do with it? Can I run movies on it? TWC cable app? Otherwise I see no point. Although it is a great deal.

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
If the rumors of $99 clearance pricing for the 16GB model this weekend are correct, I'm in. I'm sure they'll get Android running on it, heck it runs on the iPhone, but it'll be useful just with webOS.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/let-the-liquidation-begin-hps-16gb-touchpad-on-sale-for-99/

Best Buy claims to be out of stock online and in stores...

B

Yeah, at that price, it's worth just playing with it to see what it can do. Especially if Android can run on it. Would be keeping an eye on XDA's forums for that.

Might have to stop by the local Best buy tomorrow just in case...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Yeah, at that price, it's worth just playing with it to see what it can do. Especially if Android can run on it. Would be keeping an eye on XDA's forums for that.

Just watched target.com sell out of both models at $99/$149. Grrr....

B

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
Apparently, the leaked memo (on precentral.net) states that it is supposed to go on sale tomorrow. Perhaps even at HP.com.

This will be interesting...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Apparently, the leaked memo (on precentral.net) states that it is supposed to go on sale tomorrow. Perhaps even at HP.com.

This will be interesting...

Selling like hotcakes at the $99 price. HP.com lists out of stock and so does everywhere else the price has "hit".

EDIT: Grrr. Microcenter had some, but I couldn't get it to go in the cart at that price. Still came up at full price. Now out of stock

B

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So...

I guess the sell-through rate is now 100% !

(Couldn't find one to get for myself. Darn. Oh well, there's always Craigslist later on.)

Managed to get my hands on a 32GB model for 149$, there were only 2 left in stock, me and the guy in front of me got them.

It's sold out everywhere, it's just crazy. Just goes to show you HP just didn't price them aggressively enough. :D

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I remember the Palm Pre pre-iPhone on verizon. It sounded like a really novel idea albeit a few minor things I didn't like. A friend of mines cousin is really high up at Palm so he demo'ed the phone before it came out and I remember it looked great. They could have sold just like Android if they put more effort in. Though I did see allot of marketing at some sporting events I went to but still....

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I wonder if they broke the iPad daily sales record? They sold a lot of the Touchpads in less than 24 hrs.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I wonder if they broke the iPad daily sales record? They sold a lot of the Touchpads in less than 24 hrs.

Well, since the original iPad sold 300,000 on the first day and only 250,000 Touchpads were reportedly available, I would doubt it. :)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I doubt it. Also, if Best Buy sent all their stock back to HP, I'm hoping I'll still be able to get one for $99. :eek:

It would be nice to pick one up at that price. Everyplace in my area was sold out this morning. Of course most of the stores probably only has a small stock since it didn't sell well. I think it would be worth $100 even if all development for it stops, but who knows. It did create a very short feeding frenzy, but what good is it if HP lost money on each one?

B&H online ordering is down until tonight, I wonder if they have any left? They're still showing up at close to the regular price online.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I hope this firesale and the cheap android tablets force iPad down in price to $399

I don't think there is any chance of that at this point in time. The iPad is the top dog in this segment right now and the others have to do better than just equal it, in fact they still haven't come close to equaling it, let alone going it one better. It really is too bad about the Touchpad as WebOS could give iOS a run for it's money, but HP f'd up the hardware so it never even made it out of the gate. They had the right idea, having an ecosystem like Apple and it wouldn't be all chopped up like Android, but they only made a half hearted effort and it failed.
There is only one reason for the firesales, no sales at all.

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
Managed to get (3) HP TouchPads this afternoon for $99 ea. + tax on HP Small Business Site. Used three browsers; IE9, Chrome, and FF6. Only chrome was able to get through until the point of order submit after many refreshes.

Order confirm came two hours later. Credit card charged.

Well, it'll be fun to play with until I get my iPad3's next year. Especially if someone manages to get Android running on it.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
I stopped by an Office Depot today to see if any were available - sold out within 5 minutes of opening their doors this morning.

It would be interesting to know just how many TPs were made, and I think i read somewhere HP is still making them until quarter end. I have no doubt we'll see Android/Meego/Linux ports to the device, but it will be interesting to see what happens here - if the hardware numbers are high enough, now that it's been firesaled, would it be enough for smaller devs to continue to produce for webOS until/if some other company licenses?

I'll take one for $100, or even $150 for the 32GB model, if I can find one. :)

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
I stopped by an Office Depot today to see if any were available - sold out within 5 minutes of opening their doors this morning.

It would be interesting to know just how many TPs were made, and I think i read somewhere HP is still making them until quarter end. I have no doubt we'll see Android/Meego/Linux ports to the device, but it will be interesting to see what happens here - if the hardware numbers are high enough, now that it's been firesaled, would it be enough for smaller devs to continue to produce for webOS until/if some other company licenses?

I'll take one for $100, or even $150 for the 32GB model, if I can find one. :)

There will be more perhaps late next week as HP gets back inventory from several large retailers like Best Buy. Keep checking HP's site, especially the small business site. There's also a notification site set up by HP:

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/webos/us/en/tablet/touchpad-availability.html

Also, if you follow twitter, an HP rep has been keeping folks up to date; http://twitter.com/#!/BrynaAtHP/

Also, there are reports that suggest HP will refund those who buy it over $100 from authorized sellers. With that in mind, you may want to get one from Amazon, Newegg or Cost Central. Though, I'd look into more to confirm that that is the case.

Good luck. :)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Seeing them sold-out in this current fire sale just proves me that HPalm should have intended to sell webOS devices in the lower-end market and perhaps try to cater to the developing countries in Asia. HPalm never had the deep enough pockets to go against Apple in the premium market. Consumers are price-sensitive. Nokia sold the most volume of phones just by catering to these untapped markets. From the people who are buying it now, maybe some folks can finally see webOS' acual brilliance raved by the many tech reviewers who extensively used it even if the hardware and lack of apps will hold it back. TouchPad can make a nice spare tablet.

WebOS had its own personality. Some of the best parts from iOS and Android without trying to ripoff either one.

Breaks my heart to see Palm gone. HP promised us the moon and stars. Now what? WebOS was Palm's swan song, but what a swan song! Thank you to Jon Rubinstein (iPod mastermind), Matias Duarte (now with Google), Rich Dellinger (now with Apple), and the many folks who worked their ass off on this project.

I feel like Hitler in that video right now.

"How can I have one of these, when Stalin has an iPad??!"

"I even convinced my mother to get one. Now what am I suppose to do? I like WebOS!"

Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010

Plus, you can OVERCLOCK webOS devices and do it safely. I am not sure you can do it with the TouchPad right now, but knowing how passionate the homebrew community can be, it will likely be possible. TouchPad also has the latest webOS update at 3.0. Patches from Preware polishes up the many quirks and add some nice customization like it was jailbreaking your iPhone.

Anybody who gets one of these, check out the PreCentral forums. There is a process on how to get Preware in there and the many other things as it isn't as easy as jailbreaking an iPhone. But once you figure it out on how to use it, no big deal. It took me a day just figuring out how to bypass this Palm profile on my Pixi and put it in developer mode. Check YouTube and forums to help you. Many webOS users can be tech savvy and helpful.

Lightey

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Buying an Android phone tomorrow.

It's time to stop supporting Apple, the ********* company on the face of the Earth. It's time to have a real phone, not a water-down crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.