Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marlman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
I have a WD NAS with all my media on but its not a model that you can install Plex on. So I have been looking for an easy cheap way to run a Plex server to take advantage of th Apple TV app.

Ths week end I was in my local Sainsburys and seen a Linx Windows 10 tablet for £100 it only has 16gb of storage but I bought it anyway

I set it all up and installed the Plex software and it all works fine, my Apple TV app finds it and it all runs reasonably quick.

So I was just wondering if anyone has a better or cheaper way of doing it?

I want to use kit I already own not looking to buy a new NAS.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
from plex website

If you want very basic minimum suggestions:

• No transcoding: Core 2 Duo 1.6GHz (NAS devices based on ARM or PowerPC processors should also be capable of at least one stream with no transcoding)
  • Single 720p transcode: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
  • Single 1080p transcode: Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Reactions: wlossw

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
The basic minimal suggestions seem strange to me. Not even my 3570k@ 4.5 GHz can transcode most of the movies that needed it on the fiy without stuttering.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
from plex website
  • Single 1080p transcode: Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

My 2011 MBA struggled on one 1080p files that's only 9 GB. The good news is I can play almost any files nowadays with no transcoding checked.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Might be cheapest to wait and see if Infuse does everything you need without an external server (besides a NAS/network drive obviously)

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
Might be cheapest to wait and see if Infuse does everything you need without an external server (besides a NAS/network drive obviously)
I got selected for the Beta and can say, Infuse is great and I imagine it will meet most needs when talking about streaming from a NAS to the new Apple TV. Infuse has a nice interface and a pretty good following so I imagine it will be around for long time with regular updates. My only complaint about Infuse is the inability to stream to my devices when I am not on my home network, which PLEX offers and I find myself wanting to use often.

So I was just wondering if anyone has a better or cheaper way of doing it?

After spending weeks researching PLEX servers I realized I don't really NEED the transcoding on the fly as I have already converted most of my stuff to MP4, so I too am looking for a low budget solution for a Plex Server. I am looking at the older Mac Mini's on Craigslist and from what I've found, they are a great all around solution. Hook up an external drive to the USB 3.0 port in the back and hardwire the to the network and you should have no problems (or just point your MacMini to your NAS. A Mac Mini is not a cheaper solution, but likely a more reliable and faster option. Also as stated above, look into Infuse if you don't need transcoding and are only looking to stream to your ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.