Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

I am interested in getting extended applecare for macbook 2015 i purchased last June 2015. What is the best deal on this. I might get it from BH Photo($229) but would like to know if there are cheaper alternatives and if you can verify you can extend applecare 2 years before 1-year apple warranty. Thanks.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
I'm tempted in picking up Apple Care too as mine is ending shortly. Amazon has always been the cheapest option every time I have considered buying.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes, ensure you know whether you were buying from Amazon or a third party seller. If the latter I'd check that they were an authorized dealer and/or had a long track record of happy customers. See this eBay document about scams they've seen, the one I'd worry about is the last one. Even if the chances are remote, it's not worth a few bucks IMHO. (I pay sales tax on Amazon purchases if Amazon is the seller, but not if it's a third party seller)

Edit: added ebay link

Last edited:

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Yes, ensure you know whether you were buying from Amazon or a third party seller. If the latter I'd check that they were an authorized dealer and/or had a long track record of happy customers. See this eBay document about scams they've seen, the one I'd worry about is the last one. Even if the chances are remote, it's not worth a few bucks IMHO. (I pay sales tax on Amazon purchases if Amazon is the seller, but not if it's a third party seller)

deeddawg you forgot to link to eBay.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Yeah, echoing similar sentiments here-- Amazon is many times the cheapest source for Applecare. Only advantage with B&H Photo Video is you know it's a credible seller and there's not tax unless you live in NY. With Amazon, if purchasing from a reseller that's not Amazon, you probably have a little more uncertainty, there.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, echoing similar sentiments here-- Amazon is many times the cheapest source for Applecare. Only advantage with B&H Photo Video is you know it's a credible seller and there's not tax unless you live in NY. With Amazon, if purchasing for a reseller that's not Amazon, you probably have a little more uncertainty, there.
At least with Amazon, they offer buyer protection against fraudulent sellers. I've dealt with Amazon sellers who didn't give positive experiences and Amazon always stepped in to resolve the issue on my behalf.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
At least with Amazon, they offer buyer protection against fraudulent sellers. I've dealt with Amazon sellers who didn't give positive experiences and Amazon always stepped in to resolve the issue on my behalf.

Yes, Amazon does have very good protections in regards to their third party sellers. The challenge though is ensuring your AC is fully valid prior to the expiration of that protection (30 days I think?). Particularly if its a new vendor without a long term history; the risk of a dump-and-run may be higher there, with the vendor getting their payout and disappearing. Especially if they can still do the AC cancel/refund scheme described in the eBay link. Buy a bunch of AC, sell them on Amazon (at a slight loss), wait two months, then return them to Apple for prorated refund. The buyers, even if they had fully vetted their AC, then find out it's no longer valid when they go to try to use it. I hope Apple has instituted some better protections against this scam since the eBay article was published, but I don't know if they have. Not worth the small price difference from B&H or Amazon to bother with researching.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
I've never heard of portableone.com and Amazon is selling it through Sold Mac Business Solutions and Fulfilled by Amazon as the prime listing. Amazon.com LLC is also selling it on a separate listing on the "2 new from $215.25". That's the one to buy, right?

Also, I bought the Macbook 12 on Jun 27, 2015. How long can I wait till I have to buy the Applecare? Someone posted you may have to buy it 30-days before 1-year warranty expires. Thanks.
[doublepost=1463278684][/doublepost]What are these "Used - Like New" applecare listings on Amazon. They have 7 listings.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Having heard about these places is not the issue. As long as they are authorized dealers and send you the actual package, the only real issues is the price.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Agreed. Authorized dealer with a track record (thus eliminating the fly-by-night scammers claiming to be auth dealers) the ships you a box should be perfectly fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.