Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
The skullcandy ink'd buds will stay in-ear when running? Good to know. Maybe I'll try them out since they're cheap and easy to find. Thanks
Remember everyone has different size ears/canals, I used the larger silicone tips and their fine, both running or gym. Others may say they, or other buds from other makes, fall out etc. You may want to try one of the ones that kinda clip behind the ear to hold in place.

But for 10 bucks, the ink'd are great. My Klipsch S4's are great, but don't want to risk damaging those for running or gym use.

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011
Yes, I've tried that. It bugs me sometimes but I can get past that. What really gets on my nerves is the cord pulling and tugging on the ear buds. It gives me a feeling that they're falling out.

I like Koss headphones for that. The left ear cord is longer, so it goes around your head. I'm a drummer, and I love them for that feature.

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
I used ink'd buds for a while but the microphonics (sound of the cord rustling against shirt, moving, bouncing, drove me crazy for running. Had some ultimate ears for a while with the same problem, not to mention that they fell out CONSTANTLY.

Wearing expensive iems or portables for gym or running is up to the person, I've seen and heard of people using 2-500$ sets for the gym or running, which is great if you have deep pockets.

My looking drove me to a smaller company, Meelectronics which have a great bang-for the buck- reputation. I would recommend the m-6 model or m9 (same drivers), which hooks around the ear, has a fantastic cable and strain reliefs, not to mention great sound. I have several of their models which have all lasted at least a year of being rolled over by chairs, yanked out of my laptop/phone, not to mention running and the gym, and have no damage at all.

I've had many sets of ink'd and these blow them, (any everything from skullcandy I've heard and used) out of the water. EASY decision

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics...0K2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330033816&sr=8-1

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I used ink'd buds for a while but the microphonics (sound of the cord rustling against shirt, moving, bouncing, drove me crazy for running. Had some ultimate ears for a while with the same problem, not to mention that they fell out CONSTANTLY.

Wearing expensive iems or portables for gym or running is up to the person, I've seen and heard of people using 2-500$ sets for the gym or running, which is great if you have deep pockets.

My looking drove me to a smaller company, Meelectronics which have a great bang-for the buck- reputation. I would recommend the m-6 model or m9 (same drivers), which hooks around the ear, has a fantastic cable and strain reliefs, not to mention great sound. I have several of their models which have all lasted at least a year of being rolled over by chairs, yanked out of my laptop/phone, not to mention running and the gym, and have no damage at all.

I've had many sets of ink'd and these blow them, (any everything from skullcandy I've heard and used) out of the water. EASY decision

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics...0K2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330033816&sr=8-1
Mee is another good, mostly unknown/mentioned brand. Yeh I have two pairs of Ink'd, one for the gf one for me, for some reason mine has very little "rustling" sound come through from the cord (usually all cheaper headsets have that character), but the other set has it a lot and it can be annoying so definitely keep that in mind. I would have bought the Mee M6s but grabbed the two pairs of Ink'd on sale for like $15 bucks for the pair at a store.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
I like these cheap Sony headphones. I use them with my nano on long runs. They don't fall out, they don't mind sweat and if you lose them, no biggie.

I use the same ones! I've been using them at the gym for about 3 years now. They've taken quite the beating, but they're still good as new. There's no remote, so if you switch songs a lot, it's kind of hard to run, bust out your iPhone/Touch, and use the touch screen without slowing down a little (at least for my uncoordinated self). In any case, I like earbuds like this because they never fall out and I don't feel "plugged up" by the snug feeling of rubber earbuds. Also, I like that I can hear outside noise while wearing these even if they're loud. I like to be able to hear any type of oncoming bikes/peds/cars or if anyone tries to talk to me at the gym.

alesley03

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
I apologize if this might be the wrong forum to ask this question...

I'm looking for a pair of earbuds to use with my iPhone when I am working out at the gym. My budget is $200 but would prefer to spend less...

Just looking at some reviews on Amazon, I see the Bose mei2i's get decent reviews plus work with the iPhone when you have an incoming call. They might be at the top of my list.

I also see Polk just released a new line of earbuds.

My main concern is for the earbuds to stay in my ear as I am running. I have issues with the provided Apple earbuds not staying in my ears. And then sound quality is my next concern. Any suggestions? Thanks

I have the Bose headphones and love them. They come with 6 different ear fittings so you can easily find one that stays snug in your ear. And the sound quality is awesome. I've had these for over a year and use them every day. Not to mention Bose has awesome customer service... when a plate came off of one of my buds a year later, they handed me a new set on the spot no questions asked. (And this was just a cosmetic issue)

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I'm looking at the recommendations made in this thread. If it's not mentioned specifically on their site (or here), is there a generic way to tell if they can activate Siri?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm looking at the recommendations made in this thread. If it's not mentioned specifically on their site (or here), is there a generic way to tell if they can activate Siri?

If you can skip tracks, it's usually a good sign you can activate siri. It uses the same button (long press for Siri and double tap for skipping tracks). Most, but not all, buds with volume up and down will generally have this. They tend to design these things around iPhones, IMO.

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
i have the power beats by dre and love them, they have incredible sound and wrap around your ear and they are specifically made for working out :D

Jason Genesis

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
There's a lot of bad advice in here, no offense, but DO NOT get Skullcandy earbuds if you're buying them for working out. One you'll have problems with getting a nice secure fit and two they'll likely break from sweat damage soon enough.

You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars, but go with something like the Bose IE2, Klipsch S4 or even something cheaper like Yurbuds.

Also, not to give you too many options, but Meelec is super cheap and their M6 are amazing.

I'd check this article out: Best Sports Headphones

mjconner1

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Best earbuds for running

I just got a pair of these clips called HearBudz. They're compatible with the white Apple earbuds, which is cool, since I have a few of these already, because they come with every ipod, ipad, iphone or nano. They securely and comfortably stay in place, and don't fall out, even while walking, jogging, running, bicycling, skating, exercising, working out etc... check'em out they were only $6.95 for a pair
http://www.hearbudz.com/#!hearbudz-home-page/mainPage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.