Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Houmidity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Houston, TX
Hey everyone, I just got Final Cut Express HD and ordered some RAM to max out my 15.4" MBP, and now I just need to get an external drive to hold all the content I'm going to be using. I think I'll also use it to hold my iTunes library and iPhoto as well.

Any suggestions as for the best drive to get for video editing? I'm thinking about the LaCie 300728U 250GB USB 2.0 7200 RPM.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
I don't have any great suggestions, because I've only bad experiences with external drives and editing.

I'd definitley reccomond something in the firewire variety.

Houmidity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Houston, TX
So would you pros recommend going Firewire 400 instead of USB 2.0? I can only do FW400, I believe on my MBP.

Does Firewire rock that hard that the speed increase of USB 2.0 doesn't matter?

EDIT: ChrisA, I posted this before I had gotten to your reply. Thanks for the info on FW vs. USB.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Houmidity said:
Hey everyone, I just got Final Cut Express HD and ordered some RAM to max out my 15.4" MBP, and now I just need to get an external drive to hold all the content I'm going to be using. I think I'll also use it to hold my iTunes library and iPhoto as well.

Any suggestions as for the best drive to get for video editing? I'm thinking about the LaCie 300728U 250GB USB 2.0 7200 RPM.

You need huge amounts of space and you want "fast". The brand name matters little

You want "fire wire" not USB. Yes USB 2.0 on paper has a few more bits per second but with fire wire there is less overhaed. You might want to concider a firewire enclosure that can hold more then one drive. With all the stuff you are going to put on that drive you may want either more space or to make a mirror. You will likely want to think up some kind of a backup plan too.

Look at this http://tinyurl.com/n8495

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
FW400 is better than USB2. I understand it's the way Firewire can handle the connection itself, where as USB2 requires the CPU to handle the connection, slowing things down at times.

If you needed to, you could expand your MBP with an ExpressSlot Firewire 400, 800 or even eSATA card.

As previously posted you'll want a big drive... and building yourown using an enclosure will save you some money or allow you to buy a bigger hard drive unit for the same money.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Danksi said:
FW400 is better than USB2. I understand it's the way Firewire can handle the connection itself, where as USB2 requires the CPU to handle the connection, slowing things down at times.
That's part of it, but it's mostly due to USB being designed to perform well for short "bursts" of data whereas firewire is used to maintain heavy data streams (such as capturing and editing digital video).

Houmidity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Houston, TX
OK so a DIY approach would be better, since I'm on a shoestring budget. So I guess the question now is, anyone got any suggestions on what the best enclosure and HD combo would be? I guess my priorities would be:

1. Performance
2. Portability
3. Low noise
4. Low heat

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
My local Fry's had a 500GB Seagate 7200RPM 8MB (16'd cost you a bit more) so you should call up yours and see if they're in stock. As for my enclosure, I purchased a lowprofile'd "apple-y" look, by the name of "Metal Gear Box" which came with a Firewire (+USB). It looks good next to my white iMac but because you have a MBP, I'd go for the G-Drive. On one of the G6 iPod mocks, there was an external enclosure that showed off a damn good look next to the PowerMac.

Houmidity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Houston, TX
Thanks for all the tips!

I think I'm going to take your advice and go with the G-Drive Q. Hopefully it'll perform as good as it looks.

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
Also, a USB drive would have to share the USB bus with almost everything in your MBP (iSight, trackpad, keyboard, bluetooth, IR receiver) whereas a FW drive would have exclusive use of the FW bus.

I don't know if you bought it already, but have you thought about buying a FW enclosure and a separate drive? It would make it more flexible if you wanted to buy a larger drive in the future.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
My next external drive will be a Lacie, or other reputable brand (for external hard drives). I've put together my own before, and the enclosures have turned out to just end up dying, or sucking in general. Next time I won't cheap out and I'll just buy a proper one.

I would suggest getting on with both Firewire AND USB if possible...then you can plug it into any machine you want, anywhere...even if USB1 (sure, it'll be slow, but it's better than nothing in a pinch when you need to get some data off of it).

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
mmmcheese said:
I've put together my own before, and the enclosures have turned out to just end up dying, or sucking in general.

Really? I bought a cheap-o $20 FW enclosure 2 years ago and it's still my main external drive. I also got an Adaptec ($30) USB2/FW enclosure and an Ultra (Free after rebate) USB2 enclosure, both of which work great. Neither brand is that reputable (more on the cheap-o side).

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I've had great experience editing with LaCie drives...never a problem with 1000s of hours editing straight off of them and using them as scratch. Nice to have a warranty as well, as opposed to cheapo enclosures.

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
Get a lacie drive. You have to have firewire 400 or better to capture video... preferably at 7200 rpm. USB drives cannot capture streams of video from your camera very well, so don't get one. They are too slow anyways, and when you're transferring GBs at a time, every minute counts. LaCie are my brand of choice.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Another reason to get FW instead of USB (or better yet, a dual FW/USB enclosure), is that with FW, you can daisy chain your drives... and you can't do that with USB.

I'm in the middle of editing a 2 hour documentary using FCP 4.5 HD, and I'm doing it on a G4 iBook! No problems at all. I'm using a Seagate 300GB external drive in a Metal Gear FW/USB enclosure. Make sure the drive has at least 8mb cache (16mb is better)... and 7200RPM (this is almost standard on 3.5" drives these days).

And I'm sure you know, the key to editing is having a good monitor (I bought the 20.1" Dell 2001FP). However, what people sometimes forget, is that editing involves SOUND as well as PICTURE, so I'd pay attention to your speakers. The built in speakers on all laptops are garbage. They are worse than the speakers on most TVs, not to mention any kind of fancy system like surround-sound etc., that most folks hook their TVs to nowadays... if your work is meant to be seen on a TV, you're really handicapped editing the audio using the lappy speakers. Personally, I've sprung for studio speakers which I connect to my iBook (M-Audio Bx8a, self-powered, got a good deal on them through Amazon). You may also want to get an external soundcard that's higher quality than what you get out of your laptop, and hook your speakers through that, but if you're on a budget, you can skip that step. I understand you're on a budget, so maybe at least hook up your stereo to your MBP (I'm assuming you have a stereo!), that way you get better sound than from the crappy built in speakers. Good luck!

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
a bit off topic, but any reccomendations for a FW800 external HD for a 17" MBP? They all seem to be really expensive, but I'd like to spend like $300ish at most

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.