Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geppert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
London, Ontario
What is the best file/folder synchronization software?

Basically I need simple folder syncro with a large amount of files. No timed backups are needed just basic manual sync.

I've seen Folders Syncro ($40), Synchronizer ProX($99) etc., but just want some more feedback before I buy something. I'm not sure for the manual backup I do that I have to get expensive multifeatured software?

Is simple Folder Synchronization a basic process that any of these packages do equally? Is the extra software expense usually for timing and server related features??

Thanks in advance

madforrit

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
I recently got Synchronize X Plus ($30), and it has worked well. I think it should serve your needs pretty well (download the trial and see!). But there might be something cheaper out there...

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Depending on the number and size of the files you are trying to sync, then Dropbox is a great (possibly free) alternative. It will sync across multiple platforms, as well as to the web. 2GB free.

I use it and it's awesome.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I use Chronosync. It works great, offers a scheduler (which apparently you don't need) and has a lot of customization options.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
I'll second Chronosync - it's great. And spend the extra $10 on the Agent and put it on the remote Mac. You'd be amazed at how much faster it is than using Apple's File Sharing.

Before I got Chronosync Agent - my daily incremental backup would take 45 minutes. After I got the agent it went down to 3. It really highlights how inefficient Apple file sharing is for moving large numbers of files around.

RussellD

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
You Synchronize Works

I have used You Synchronize for a long time and have confidence in it. I have recently started using it to synchronise my hard drive with my iDisk and it even works there. Although it may not be for sale any more. They have some licensing problem. Worth looking for.

Retrospect Express is much faster for backups. Probably thousands of times faster, but it does not seem to be able to connect to an iDisk at all. Brilliant for local drives. Transmit works but it relies on modification date only so can appear confused.

I hope this helps.

asdfx3

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Backuplist+, which uses rsync.
Unison is good though it's meant for two-way sync and will be slower if one of the folders is on the network.

Both are free and pretty much click and run IMO.

itai

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
NYC
Bumping again.

Any preferred program these days? I have been using Sugarsync and I am extremely disappointed with them. I plan to switch to something else, so any recommendation would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nikh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Kyiv
Hi. Have you tried Carbon Copy Cloner? Actually, it is backup software, but you can select which folders to copy, and copying destination. Seems to be enough for manual sync.
And, it is totally free.

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
Synk works really well for me. It is bit more expensive than other programs out there. I have multiple machines and I sync large amounts of data between them. I also keep my iTunes and Zinio library synchronized across my MBP and MBA, it works extremely well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.