Best Financing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jc0481, Jun 1, 2005.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

I am looking for a new mac to purchase most likely an iMac G5. There are two Apple resellers in my town and a Compusa down the street from them. Since I don't have 1,500 dollars cash to purchase the Imac G5 right now, should I go to my local resellers or compusa to start a credit card there or go through an online reseller like www.macmall.com, www.powermax.com, or go through www.apple.com,etc. Just curious if anybody has any experience with a good apple reseller and very good financing. Please help. I would appreciate it thanks.
    James

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I bought financed my PB. When i bought it i was just about to start school and Hibernia sent me a credit card w/ 13.98% rate and 6 months same as cash. I ordered over the phone and paid 400 on my debit card then maxed out that credit card and paid it off with in the grace period. Not only did it help me build my credit, but it was also free financing for 6 months... and i'm happy with the way that i did it.

3. zv470 macrumors 6502

Hi, If you can... get a personal loan from your bank, they offer really low interest rates, especially if you finance over a short period of time, like 12month.

I borrowed $4150, and I only payed $215 in interest in the 12 months. :)

Credit Cards are an expensive way to finance things over long term.

4. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

this is an EASY one . . . save your money and simply BUY your new Apple!! Wow - what a novel idea! :D :eek: :D

5. zv470 macrumors 6502

Hehehe. yer,
    I saved $4000 with my summer job, but after saving harcore I couldn't wait any longer...

because...
    all I spent my money on from week to week was... Rent, Power + very small amount on food, the rest went to savings... I would have starved to death, and died a miserable sod cos I didn't socialize or do anything fun that costs money all summer.

I couldn't take it anymore, so... trotted off to my bank :) and then to my local Apple store. :)

oh... and only 2 weeks later Rev C Powerbooks came out, :) hehe.... had I only saved a little longer.

moral of the story... save as long as you can, but don't buy before iminent updates.

p.s. I still absolutely love my setup, one day I'll save up for a Powermac, woo :)

6. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks everybody for your help

I thought about saving up for the Imac g5 but I really need one in a month or two. I also thought about a loan from my bank and that would work too but the payments are about $200 a month if I'm correct? That does seem pretty high but I can afford doing that.

7. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I thought one of the mac sellers had a 12month plan (no interest). You have to make sure you can pay it off in 12 months, otherwise you will get hammered by the interest buildup. (which is what they are hoping for)

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...Referer=http://www.macmall.com/&wt.mc_id=8565

If you have too, transfer the remaining balance to a credit card. BUT I WOULD NOT DO ANY FINANCING IF YOU CANNOT PAY IT OFF BY THE END OF THE NO INTEREST PERIOD. Computers come and go so fast, do waste your money on interest payments.

Kimo

8. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Compusa has an 18 month no Finance promotion right now online and if I remember correctly, they have a 21 month special in store. Here's the link to the online special:

http://www.compusa.com/finance_deal.asp?pfp=fod

Hope it helps

9. iGary Guest

iGary

I hate Best Buy, but they have a 18-month no interest program.