Best Flat Panel Monitor to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

What do you think is the best flat panel lcd 17" monitor to buy?

I'm looking to get something from $150-$240 preferably new. I know ecostcom had some that were pretty cheap, but I dont want to sacrifice too much quality.

What are some brands that I should stay away from? I want something nice and visible, but it doesnt have to be like a giant apple cinema display. I actually dont want apple at all.

*mods move this if it's in the wrong forum...thanks :) *

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I think it is generally agreed that Dell makes the best low-cost LCD monitors. For a 17'' Dell screen, you're going to pay slightly more than you're looking to spend.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Dell hands down. Don't get a 17" though - Dell's prices are very "normal" for 17" LCDs, and you can bet better ones from Samsung, Sony, etc. But for 19", 20"/20" widescreen, and if you wanna go BIG, 24"... Dell is your man!

4. lfielder06 Guest

Hey I would check out ubid. They usually have great prices on 17" sony lcds. I personally like those that I have seen in stores. From what I hear those are great lcds.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I got my 18" sony from their and it works great!
    You can check out tiger direct They have some good stuff sometimes. I bought from them before and they are great to.

6. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

so the best brands are dell and sony? are there any other good ones?

7. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

SAMSUNG!!!!

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

And so we're clear:

SAMSUNG > SONY.

Clear? Good.

And I wouldn't recommend Tiger Direct. A friend ordered a computer part from them and had a horrible experience. Check out www.newegg.com instead.