Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I'm still on the fence about glass versus plastic.

I'll only use the plastic protectors sourced from Japan, as that has stood me well through the years.

I think I'd rather use thicker glass if I try one -- read too many reviews about chips/cracks/scratches using the very thinnest ones.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
anyone having a problem with the bottom under the home button not getting the bubbles out? I have tried with 3 different screen protectors and its showing a bubble mark.. I can not get it to go away no matter what I do?

see the screenshot

That won't go away...Is it a glass protector? If it is you're screwed because it won't lay back down. You need to call and have it replaced as it's a flaw in the adhering layer. I had it happen with my glassT. It will grow larger over time. Mine was perfect the day I put it on then a few days later a small spot started near that same area and continued to get bigger and bigger.

**The more I look the it appears it's NOT glass. Only thing I think can help is a very very good cleaning with etoh pads before placing protector. Good luck..... OR get a nice glass protector. I have used several but am using iLoome flex now and have a Mime waiting in the wings.

Last edited:

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
That won't go away...Is it a glass protector? If it is you're screwed because it won't lay back down. You need to call and have it replaced as it's a flaw in the adhering layer. I had it happen with my glassT. It will grow larger over time. Mine was perfect the day I put it on then a few days later a small spot started near that same area and continued to get bigger and bigger.

**The more I look the it appears it's NOT glass. Only thing I think can help is a very very good cleaning with etoh pads before placing protector. Good luck..... OR get a nice glass protector. I have used several but am using iLoome flex now and have a Mime waiting in the wings.

Yeah they are just some standard $12 for 3 pack screen protectors. I just wanted to make sure there isn't an issue with the phone itself there

rocksyoursock

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I used the iloome Flex for a few days, and now am using the Mime Feather glass protector. Here are thoughts.

- Both are good quality and smooth.

- iloome was easier to install out of the box due to them providing hinge tape. However, the hinge method also works for Mime Feather with regular scotch tape.

- Both glass proctors prevent fingerprints better than the SGP Crystal protectors I've always used (no surprise), but the oleophobic coating on the Mime Feather seems significantly better than iloome.

- The Mime is noticably thicker than the iloome, despite the .03 mm difference which is weird but not a big deal.

- Neither protector impact Touch ID functionality but the home button will be slightly recessed on both but still perfectly usable.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
havent used a screen protector since the 4 and NO problems

No problem as in no scratches? Bet I could find lots (if only "fine" scratches but they're there). If you have no screen protector, you have scratches, fact of life. Anyone that says they have none and use no protector is either blind or full of it. (or not counting fine/micro scratches as scratches)

- Both are good quality and smooth.
- but the oleophobic coating on the Mime Feather seems significantly better than iloome.
I also bought both and am currently using iLoome flex with the MiME waiting in the wings. The roughness of the flex after application was so annoying to me but went away pretty fast. I have pretty much zero olephobic properties with my flex, the thing is an oil magnet. Not a huge deal if it would clean easily but in my case it does not.

Gonna run the flex until it's scratched or can't take the cleaning issue any more.

Last edited:

scoop2mylue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2010
Indiana
No problem as in no scratches? Bet I could find lots (if only "fine" scratches but they're there). If you have no screen protector, you have scratches, fact of life. Anyone that says they have none and use no protector is either blind or full of it. (or not counting fine/micro scratches as scratches)

lets put it this way the condition of my screen is never an issue when it comes to resell time...i always get top value and every person i have sold it to had no issues with the screen...screen protectors are just a hassle i use to think you needed them...until i went the one year and saw of good the gorilla glass really is

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
screen protectors are just a hassle i use to think you needed them...until i went the one year and saw of good the gorilla glass really is

Sounds like you're advising people not to bother with a screen protector.

Will you pay for screen replacements for those who follow your advice? :D

Does everyone need a screen protector? Of course not. Many people are successful at going naked and don't have a problem.

Note that "many" doesn't mean "all"... Kind of like riding around without a seatbelt. All fine and well until that idiot pulls out right in front of you. :cool:

scoop2mylue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2010
Indiana
Sounds like you're advising people not to bother with a screen protector.

Will you pay for screen replacements for those who follow your advice? :D

Does everyone need a screen protector? Of course not. Many people are successful at going naked and don't have a problem.

Note that "many" doesn't mean "all"... Kind of like riding around without a seatbelt. All fine and well until that idiot pulls out right in front of you. :cool:

this is just my opinion i am by any means not telling people to not use a screen protector everyone is different on how they handle and take care of their phones i was just stating in my case...dont take this the wrong way

scoop2mylue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2010
Indiana
No worries. I guess I misunderstood your previous post.

once again that comment was just my opinion...i thought this is what the threads were all about peoples differnent opinions on things....sorry if i confused anybody....its just like the whole case or naked debate....if differs from person to person

iSIILENT

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
I bought the Spigen Crystal at Amazon.com for $6.95 couple of days ago. It comes with 3 front films and 1 back film. Don't get this confused with Spigen Ultra Crystal, which cost more. Per Spigen's facebook, the Crystal is exclusive configuration for Amazon customers. It's a little thinner than Ultra Crystal but the same clarity and quality...you get more for your bucks plus Lifetime Replacement (only for Amazon customers).

I Just installed my back protector and front and cuts are great .. But i notice a slight rainbow affect on front screen protector is this normal and will it go away or I just have a bad one ? I do notice it takes away fingerprints actually pretty good better then I thought ...

JohnnyIOS

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
Glass screen protectors just aren't worth it and here's why:

1). If something ever happens to your phone and they have to swap it under warranty you just can't peel off the screen protector and re-apply it on your replacement device.

2). Spigen Glas TR Nano (assuming it's the best) is $39.99 + tax + shipping if you're outside the US which is close to $79 Apple charges for accidental dmg under AppleCare+

3). I spent like $150 dollars on my iPhone 5 for glass protectors from Spigen and one time I had to have the phone replaced due to dropped calls. Lost $50. Another time I had water damage due to torrential rain. Boom, another $50. Last but not least the home button sank under the screen, had Apple replace it again. Another $50 lost.

If you don't have AppleCare+ they might be worth it, but even then if something goes wrong with your phone see #1.

Waste of money if you ask me.

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I bought my first glass screen protector today. I have to say I am really liking it.

It was $39.99 from PeachMac. The good thing I like about this one is if you ever have to replace it for any reason it's only $12 and that includes shipping. They will send you a new one no questions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    725.9 KB · Views: 144

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
I bought a pack of 3 Tech Armor clear screen protectors from amazon for ~$12 with shipping. Work like a charm. I don't believe in spending $20+ for pieces of plastic film.

Seniordan

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Canada
Oh yah. I have prime:)

I ended up taking the matte one off of my phone because the screen distortion was driving me crazy, and put on one of the "HD clear" ones and its great! The first one I put on my moms phone had a really sticky feel to it for some reason but the one that I put on my phone is extremely smooth without sacrificing the clarity of the screen. $7 or what ever it was for a pack of 3; you can't go wrong.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Since iPhone 1 I've used shields and cases. Finally iP4 after the first year I ditched it all. I just couldn't get over the difference in feel using the iP4 without any cases and shields. It's simply a joy to use, hold and feel. I've dropped it several times and it was just minor scuffs. The glass held up great! Naked all the way is the best. If I wanted to blow another 200 bucks on cases, shields and so on, I would rather use it for insurance. Like SquareTrade. If it's damaged enough, then I'll get it fixed or replaced and still enjoy the feel of the iPhone 5S exceptional build quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.