Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
I teach in a law school and I believe the major downside to getting a MacBook Air is the absence of a port to lock your computer to a desk.

1) You're a probably a troll. No one teaches at a law school unless they're an adjunct brought in for a skills building class.

2) It entirely depends on the law school. I just asked several lawyers who are still in the office (yes... 9pm on a sunday) and only those who went to schools in large cities had to worry about theft.

Last edited:

unsolvedmistere

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
are there younger people out there who still don't know how to touch type?? i'm a sophomore in college and, at my school, we had keyboarding classes as early as 5th grade IIRC... i can only assume most schools were the same....

now this is out of pure curiosity, but why is it you're so hung up on getting a backlit keyboard?? if you can touch type, then i really can't see any need for having one...

I'd rather pay a bit extra and know I didn't miss a beat than try to reread my notes with typos that could have been easily avoided. Something that small may make a huge difference given you have 1 test at the end of the year and most if not all you have to go by is your notes/outlines.

Last edited:

unsolvedmistere

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
I am not reading the rest of this thread because I do not have time to deal with ridiculous mac rumor users... I will check back and answer questions but I have a brief to finish.

1) Is this in the United States? If so, you should know that the legal profession is in the midst of a horrible transition and I know unemployed 2009 and 2010 grads from schools like Columbia, UVA, Duke, UGA, and Berkley. The flood of new lawyers have driven down the pay.... there are ADAs that start out making less than paramedics (and they only need a GED).

2) If you do insist on going, you need a laptop with 4gb of ram because MS Word is a terrible ram hog.

3) The only reason you probably need a laptop is for exams; most of the exam software is something like EBB (electronic bluebook).

4) American professors don't teach the law, they ask a bunch of stupid questions.... just realize you shouldn't be typing all the time.

5) If you are in an American law school, buy http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Maybe-Excel-School-Exams/dp/0890897603 . Law school exams are only graded on organization and style... By my third year i was prepping 8-9 hours for an exam w/ an old outline after having done none of the reading for the entire semester and getting better grades than my 1L year when I read everything.

1) Yes, its an ABA Law School here in the US and I am aware of the profession's "crisis."

2) I will definite buy a computer with 4gb+ of ram or upgrade to it.

3) We use Exam Soft and or Soft Test. Not sure what the difference is if any.

4) I will try to remember that. However, it subconsciously helps me retain information by writing/typing.

5) I will look at the book you suggested and I would like to get your opinion on another if its not the same. I will have to look it up. If that is ok with you, would you mind replying or sending me a PM? Thank you for all the information and pointers. (Edit: same book)

Last edited:

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
I am not reading the rest of this thread because I do not have time to deal with ridiculous mac rumor users... I will check back and answer questions but I have a brief to finish.

1) Is this in the United States? If so, you should know that the legal profession is in the midst of a horrible transition and I know unemployed 2009 and 2010 grads from schools like Columbia, UVA, Duke, UGA, and Berkley. The flood of new lawyers have driven down the pay.... there are ADAs that start out making less than paramedics (and they only need a GED).

2) If you do insist on going, you need a laptop with 4gb of ram because MS Word is a terrible ram hog.

3) The only reason you probably need a laptop is for exams; most of the exam software is something like EBB (electronic bluebook).

4) American professors don't teach the law, they ask a bunch of stupid questions.... just realize you shouldn't be typing all the time.

5) If you are in an American law school, buy http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Maybe-Excel-School-Exams/dp/0890897603 . Law school exams are only graded on organization and style... By my third year i was prepping 8-9 hours for an exam w/ an old outline after having done none of the reading for the entire semester and getting better grades than my 1L year when I read everything.

Really? This is your response to someone that asks for suggestions on computers to use for law school? The law school they are attending in JANUARY? This isn't XOXOHTH, this is MacRumors.com.

I do enjoy that you mention the current weakness of the current/past legal market to someone who will presumably be graduating in 3 years. Very germane all around.

And almost everyone gets better grades 3L year, despite studying less. There are several reasons for this "phenomenon" and none of them are anything less than obvious.

/Going to the gym in 26 minutes = I have a brief to finish

RAWphenom

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2010
606/859, KY
I'd rather pay a bit extra and know I didn't miss a beat than try to reread my notes with typos that could have been easily avoided. Something that small may make a huge difference given you have 1 test at the end of the year and most if not all you have to go by is your notes/outlines.

ahhh gotchaaa

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
Really? This is your response to someone that asks for suggestions on computers to use for law school? The law school they are attending in JANUARY? This isn't XOXOHTH, this is MacRumors.com.

I do enjoy that you mention the current weakness of the current/past legal market to someone who will presumably be graduating in 3 years. Very germane all around.

And almost everyone gets better grades 3L year, despite studying less. There are several reasons for this "phenomenon" and none of them are anything less than obvious.

/Going to the gym in 26 minutes = I have a brief to finish

Really, are you some TLS troll? The current legal market is still incredibly weak--just like at the OCI and EIP numbers. Sure, K&E Chicago may have tripled their class size but it is still 60% smaller than 2007. The only firm that is approaching their 2007 numbers is Quinn.

The changes are structural: doc review has been outsourced, inhouse counsels demand lean staffing, partners have bought into the "entitled generation" narrative, and there is glut of even T10 lawyers.

And what? Lawyers can now use IBR to pay down their loans? With the hiring freezes (that will soon be extended to the federal gov b/c POTUS doesn't want to be held to some 'abstract ideal') and RIFs, PI is a dead end. Look at what is happening in NJ: http://blogs.findlaw.com/strategist...-food-nj-ag-takes-on-attorney-volunteers.html

Denial isn't just a river in egypt--go back to the forum that bans practitioners from posting actual employment numbers.

XO is filled with TLS posters who went to a T10 or T6 school and are now 2-5 years into the profession.

jazziethomas

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2010
:apple: Mac Book Pro would be ideal for your you although mac book air might also be a good consideration, especially when it comes to portability, but some of the law students I've known commonly uses 13 MBP

Zyniker

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
Executive Summary: Go with the 15" MacBook Pro. Get the high-res screen if you have good eyesight, otherwise stick with the standard resolution.

To be entirely honest, I'm disinclined to read the majority of this thread given the average content and tone of most posts on this forum; however, I'm taking a short break from reviewing Constitutional Law for a final on Monday, so I'll answer the question posed by your topic.

Disclosure: I am currently a 2.5L (taking summer courses earns you a wonderful little .5) and I am, as indicated supra, actually studying for exams right now. I am using a 15" MacBook Pro (a 2009 model).

As I noticed in one of your earlier posts (I did skim the topic), you are aware of the software you will be using to take your exams. ExamSoft and SofTest are one and the same (technically, one is the company and the other the software product). There is an OS X version. My school actually just made it available this term. I have already taken two finals with it. It is unbelievably better than the Windows-based version.

The Windows version of SofTest requires at least one reboot before you enter the software. The OS X version requires that you click a prompt giving it your consent to close all your currently open windows/programs. Then SofTest opens. That's it. The Windows version has a nasty tendency to get into fights with Windows Update (each vying for which will assume control of your computer upon reboot). Stick with the OS X version.

Further, you have stated that you are a Mac user. This is good news for you. The OS X version supports all the shortcut keys and keyboard commands to which you have become accustomed (making it much easier to inject §, underlining, italicizing, and other such formatting into your essays). Formatting helps.

Your professors will have to read a great deal of text after each exam they give. Do not for a minute believe that all (if any) of your professors will read each essay carefully without missing anything. Certainly, you can talk to the professor after the exam if you disagree with your grade, but most professors will not give particularized critiques or feedback. You'll get a grade and have no way of knowing if the professor did or did not miss items/points in your essay. Formatting helps to avoid this. (Caveat: Be certain that bolding, underlining, and italicizing do not irritate your professor; it's unlikely that will be the case, but it's not impossible.)

At any rate, I would highly recommend the 15" MacBook Pro. It has served me well thus far and the additional capabilities offered by having a more powerful machine should not be overlooked (as, honestly, you won't use the laptop for only school). If you like to work for extended periods of time away from an electrical outlet, I would suggest looking into getting an SSD as an upgrade.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
...a Windows convertible Tablet PC.

A little background on my 2 cents: I use an iMac at home and have a Macbook Pro for work and use both Windows 7 and OS X all the time so I am very familiar with both platforms.

I love OS X and Macs, but the absolute best application for collecting, organizing and finding information is OneNote which is part of MS Office and I think comes with every Tablet. The HP TouchSmart tm2t series is a good model and it starts at <$800, so you would have the spare cash to purchase software and other things you need. Absolutely nothing comes close to OneNote for a virtual notebook and it has too many great features to start listing here. I have tried virtual notebook apps for the Mac like EverNote and CircusPonies Notebook and they pale badly in comparison. The Office 2010 version lets you store and synchronize OneNote notebooks in the cloud so you can have edit access to your data even when you don't have your laptop with you. That is free with a Windows Live account.

A major benefit of a convertible tablet is the fact that you can flip the screen down and write notes which is great for class or anywhere. Then those notes are always backed up to the cloud, you don't have to worry about losing your precious legal pad.

Also with the Windows file system you have the built-in "previous versions" feature which lets recover the previous version of any file or save you if you accidentally delete something. You get that without any backup to a separate drive, but use something like Dropbox so you can access documents from anywhere.

I'm sure many here will tell you to get a Mac which is nice, but for getting the most benefit for your buck for serious work and to make your life easier, get a convertible tablet with Windows 7. If you don't like the HP model, Dell, Gateway and others have the same. Even when you don't use the flip down screen, it will be a great lightweight laptop. I have used 2 over the past 7 years and would choose it again for work or school over a Mac laptop.

A Mac is great fun to use, for work and home depending on your use case, but you are limiting yourself. In law school you need every edge you can get. The Tablet will make your life easier.

Good luck in school!

100% disagree with using a tablet. Terribly inefficient - If you really wanted to use a pen to write, you'd be better off with pen and paper instead of writing into your screen like a fool.

*If* you wanted to use your computer to type in notes, Word 2010 (Notebook mode) + Evernote (With a good tagging and notebook setup in place) would be the best way to go… That is, if you could clock roughly 120WPM+.

One of my friends have contemplated about using his new iPad that he's getting for Christmas in class (… No idea why he bought it when the new open's coming in a few months.). Theoretically it's really nice, but realistically, you can't really do everything on an iPad.

Scott Mulder

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
glenmoore, pa
Wifi Problems

I am having trouble getting wifi on my regular MacBOOK
and none of the other PCs or MacBook Pros are having this trouble. The router is a recent generation Verizon for Vios. Fiber Optic...:mad::mad:

I'll be attending law school this coming January. Class begins around the 10th so I will hold off as long as possible in the event Apple MAY release a new MacBook/MacBook pro. Given they don't, I still need to purchase a laptop primarily for law school based on the current lines. Besides the typical law school work load, it will be my main computer as well. I definitely want it to run smoothly when playing/streaming full HD content. Additionally, I play games such as WOW every so often and want to retain the ability to do so if I choose. I dont mind reducing visual settings, but i definitely dont want to have the sense that it is "struggling." Besides that, I do very little graphic editing in Adobe PS, but again, I want to retain the ability to do so as well. Obviously cost is important and I'd like to remain around $1500 after the student discount or below if possible. Ill be using this computer for approximately 3 years if not more so i want it to last. Can I get by with a MacBook Air and enjoy the portability and convenience of size or should I opt for a MacBook pro? If I can get by with an air, what size/configuration? If I need a MacBook pro, I'm leaning toward the 15" given it will be my main computer, but I'd still like your input. What are your opinions? Any current or former law students able to chime in? Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading your comments.

Nachos

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Lynge, Denmark
I wouldn't say im on a strict $1500 budget, but id like to stay closer to $1500 than $2000 given i wil likely have to pay tax in addition to the price. Would suggest against the 13" air? After ram upgrade to 4gig it practically comes out to the same price as the 15" i5 which already comes with 4gig ram. I don't think the difference in SSD will be obvious in my use.

Don't underestimate the advantage of SSD. For your needs I wouldn't rule out the MBA. I’m starting Business school in Copenhagen next year and I have spent the past 2 months trying to figure out which Mac to buy. I have decided upon a MBA, because of its portability, SSD, better screen (than 13 MBP) and it is fully capable of handling my use (which is pretty much the same as yours).

Just my oppinion ;) Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.