Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The wife and I are looking for a new TV, currently have a junk Olevia 23" (got it refurbished, never really liked it). We're looking at a 37"-42", don't really care to go any bigger and certainly don't want to pay that much. Our price range is really about $500-$700 at the absolute top end. Not a lot of 42" in the range, but we're keeping our eyes open for a good deal. Just looking for any advice on brands/specs to look for.

Both of our parents have and love Vizios, as does my brother, so they're a strong consideration, especially since the 37" is definitely in our price range. I've heard good things about Samsung and LG, but they seem to be mostly pricier than the Vizios, but I've also heard and seen bad things about companies like Sylvania and of course Olevia that sell the real low end TV's.

Looking forward to some good advice!

jW

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
We have an LCD TV thread going on here. Although budget isn't really discussed much.

Samsungs and Sonys seem to be highly regarded (I myself have a Samsung) might want to take a look a the 550 and 650 Samsung series, they're getting long in the tooth so good deals may be present and they are very capable and nice looking TVs.

jmann

macrumors 604
We have an LCD TV thread going on here. Although budget isn't really discussed much.

Samsungs and Sonys seem to be highly regarded (I myself have a Samsung) might want to take a look a the 550 and 650 Samsung series, they're getting long in the tooth so good deals may be present and they are very capable and nice looking TVs.

+++1 for the samsung brand. They make awesome tvs. :)

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
+++1 for the samsung brand. They make awesome tvs. :)

Ditto on the Samsung. I would save up for a few more months (and wait for prices to come down for a few months) and go with a Samsung. But that's just me, and that's what's kept me from getting a tv for 3 years now. The trouble is that as soon as the one I want is in my price range, I decide I want one up from that one.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
You'll probably end up getting a 720p TV in that price rangeand size. I have a Samsung Monitor/TV and it looks great. Overall the picture quality on Samsungs are very nice. Cnet.com is a very useful resource for this kind of stuff. You can check out that thread but ultimately do some reading get the models down then go out to the stores and check them out. They may not have the exact size you want on display but you can check any size in that model line and get a good idea. Overall Samsung are good bang for the buck type thing, Sony's are great but pricey, Vizio, I looked, well they work just fine I'm sure but probably are basic on the additional functionality of the TV sets. Poor viewing angles those kinds of things, but overall may be your best bet for that size and price range.

thomanjones

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2006
DC
Westinghouse uses Sammy panels on some of their LCD HD TVs, check out AVS forums for far more detail than you'll find here. Costco/Sam's Club are good places for cheap TVs, Vizio >> Olevia (IMHO).

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I got a 37" 1080p Sharp for under $700. I dont know the model name but theres only 1 or 2 37" 1080p Sharp tvs. It was the best 37" tv for under $1000 that I looked at in a department store, the 1080p does make a difference and the picture was just a lot cleaner than the other tvs.

Its probably this one http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC37D64U-37-Inch-1080p/dp/B001338KV4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

The open box and refurbs are in your price range, you have to click on the "used and new" link.

Samsung is the best but finding a large Samsung for under $700 is probably impossible.

pkagel

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
SoCal ExPat
dealnews.com lists all the latest deals from all over. I ended up with a Westinghouse 42" 1080p for 600$. Now is this the best ever tv, probably not but it looks real good and fits my needs and budget. Just take your time looking and you'll find what you need for the right price.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I got the Samsung LN52A850 for under $300 through an accommodation and couldn't be more pleased with the TV. I would highly recommend Samsung TVs. Next I want to get the LN46A850 for our master bedroom if I can get a good price on it. At the sizes your looking at I'm not sure if you would benefit from 1080P or not. A 720P TV would definitely save you some money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.