Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstrpeak

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
what makes it different to GoodPlayer, BUZZ Player HD and especially AVPlayerHD with EC Player (which supports some sort of hardware decoding too)? would like to try it with the code too though!
we are much faster than those players even using software decoding ;P

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Yes, there is a lite version for you to try out our app, the performance is close except for the banner ad.
thank you all, i will definitely give everyone in this thread a promo code if you need one!

Definitely looking forward to it! We're committed to helping you improve the app as much as possible.

peelers

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
promo code

I like to give it a shot as well, I'm currently using Goodplayer and it been been pretty good. Like to compare the two so if i could get a promo code to try.

tx

mstrpeak

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
you are so nice ;p

I thought about it and decided to purchase it, mainly because I like to support developers that get good feedback from forums. Also, I noticed that you needed people to review it as well when you have multiple updates it only shows the most recent feedback for the current version. Hopefully those who got the free promos will at least support you and provide positive feedback, I intend to do so as well whenever I have opportunity to try it out. Thank you again for coming to the forums and letting us know about your unique application, giving us the opportunity to provide suggestions, and most importantly sharing with community, that was very generous of you.

-----
I like the capability to watch foreign television which is included in this app, perhaps for learning a new language. Unfortunately I do not know most of the languages. I would like to be able to edit the names of the channels or add a name field off to the side that I can make my own notes about what that channel shows; otherwise, I have to count down from the top the list especially on the Asian channels. I would also like to put a parental password on a channel, such as Thailand's nice channel, which advertises adult situations. Also you may need to put an adult disclaimer because you are streaming television from various countries and do not have control over what adult content maybe included in their shows. I caution you with this, because Apple may end up pulling your application from the Apple store if it does not have such disclaimers. This is truly a unique application that I am surprised has made it onto the Apple Store, I look forward to seeing what improvements you can make and I hope it never gets removed, but glad I purchased it in case it does. Spotted HBO, Cinemax on one of the Chinese channels, it was in English but had Chinese subtitles. Legally I see no way that Apple will allow this to stay on the Apple store. Get it while you can people. I just wish it had some sort of Internet tether built into it too so it would have all the cool things before it gets removed.

itcomic

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
may I get a promo code, please ?

if, by hardware decode, you mean the GPU is fully utilized to decode, it would be amazing. I think the video player limitation is that most of them only use CPU to decode. I really wish this will be THE ONE play it all app.

I appreciate that you actually come here to read the feedback.

thank you

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
may I get a promo code, please ?

if, by hardware decode, you mean the GPU is fully utilized to decode, it would be amazing. I think the video player limitation is that most of them only use CPU to decode. I really wish this will be THE ONE play it all app.

I appreciate that you actually come here to read the feedback.

thank you
The limitation of hardware acceleration is imposed by Apple, all apps in the App Store must abide by those rules.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
you are so nice ;p
Finally got off the TV and tried the HW WiFi stream. In one word, sweet! Enabled wifi in rush player, switched to Splashtop and connected into my MacBook, went to my ipaddress: port, it was not connecting so I swapped to RP so it would connect in, then I switched back to Splashtop and connected into my computer and selected a file to upload, back to RP and it began sending it. The file transfer went by quickly. After that I played the file and it was in very good quality without any pixelation you may experience when streaming files in other apps.

From that one test I know you cannot connect when RP is in the background but as always the iPad is still very flexible if you are creative. Is there some way you can enable connecting to Wi-Fi while Rush player is in the background?

Also when I was playing with the streaming of the TV I noticed if you hold down on the channels it will actually show you the port and IP addresses of the places it's connecting into. If it uses an Internet standard, it would be nice to be able to enter in addresses of your own to create your own channels. Also if there are legality questions, it would also be easy for any governing bodies to trace these channels because it shows the IP addresses as well. As a note to the developer, the two back buttons are a little too close together and it is easy to hit the wrong one. You may want to expand what it is returning back to, in other words "return to main menu" or "return to TV list" and provide an additional gap between them.

Dukat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
The limitation of hardware acceleration is imposed by Apple, all apps in the App Store must abide by those rules.

If that's true, then does Rushplayer not really do hardware decoding?

That would be really cheap on Apple's part to hobble apps to make theirs seem better.

Grandmaster B

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
I would like a promo code too please. GoodPlayer user here looking for something better to recommend to friends.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
People asking for promo codes: please try the Lite version and provide feedback until the next one comes out.

mstrpeak

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Do you need any screenshots from iPad 1, 2, or 3 to see how layout may need to change or have you tested it personally on each of them? I have each generation if you need the images.
absolutely , we need your help to improve our app!

mstrpeak

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
very nice feedback, the background ability of running the app is limited by apple, they won't allow you to do that by their policy.
the 'return' issue will be fixed as fast as wen can ;P

Finally got off the TV and tried the HW WiFi stream. In one word, sweet! Enabled wifi in rush player, switched to Splashtop and connected into my MacBook, went to my ipaddress: port, it was not connecting so I swapped to RP so it would connect in, then I switched back to Splashtop and connected into my computer and selected a file to upload, back to RP and it began sending it. The file transfer went by quickly. After that I played the file and it was in very good quality without any pixelation you may experience when streaming files in other apps.

From that one test I know you cannot connect when RP is in the background but as always the iPad is still very flexible if you are creative. Is there some way you can enable connecting to Wi-Fi while Rush player is in the background?

Also when I was playing with the streaming of the TV I noticed if you hold down on the channels it will actually show you the port and IP addresses of the places it's connecting into. If it uses an Internet standard, it would be nice to be able to enter in addresses of your own to create your own channels. Also if there are legality questions, it would also be easy for any governing bodies to trace these channels because it shows the IP addresses as well. As a note to the developer, the two back buttons are a little too close together and it is easy to hit the wrong one. You may want to expand what it is returning back to, in other words "return to main menu" or "return to TV list" and provide an additional gap between them.

----------

TO people who are interested in hardware accelerating.

it's true apple does not allow to use their api to enable HW. what rushplayer does now is use a background thread to do the converting, allow you to play it during converting, resulting about shuttering every about 20 seconds, we are finding a way to improve this.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
absolutely , we need your help to improve our app!
I sent the ones from the iPad 3 to your gmail account. The iPad 1/2 will be identical to one another, and I may do that tomorrow.

As a note to those waiting, he has file management built into the app. You can create folders for organization of video, can rename it, and delete files if need be (something Apple forgets, ie. iPhoto & Journals). Also on file playback you can double tap to zoom into the video. I did not see a way to pan around a zoomed screen though, might be something to add? Oh and he did something cool I never seen before, you can choose to mute right or left audio channels. Another cool thing he did is integrate gestures into the app, uncertain why you would want to mute a single channel though. You can slide up or down to adjust volume as low as 2% adjustment resolution. You can slide left or right to fast forward or rewind a file.

Question for the developer, are you able to find a way to record streams from the TV side of the application? That would be a nice feature if they could be recorded and added to the files in the documents section of the app even if you had to give it an initial sequential file name by default.

Also TV streaming onto an AppleTV only sends audio, no video. The work around I figured out is mirroring the iPad, then entering the application (mirroring only came about after the 2nd generation iPad, iPad 1 users are out of luck here). Video plays back on both the iPad as well as the AppleTV, but at least audio mutes on the iPad and comes through on the AppleTV. I only have the second generation of the AppleTV to test with though. I did not try playing back video from RP to the AppleTV to see if it acted any differently.

Last edited:

mstrpeak

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
recording stream video is on our list, not something hard to implement, we may add it in the near future ;P

I sent the ones from the iPad 3 to your gmail account. The iPad 1/2 will be identical to one another, and I may do that tomorrow.

As a note to those waiting, he has file management built into the app. You can create folders for organization of video, can rename it, and delete files if need be (something Apple forgets, ie. iPhoto & Journals). Also on file playback you can double tap to zoom into the video. I did not see a way to pan around a zoomed screen though, might be something to add? Oh and he did something cool I never seen before, you can choose to mute right or left audio channels. Another cool thing he did is integrate gestures into the app, uncertain why you would want to mute a single channel though. You can slide up or down to adjust volume as low as 2% adjustment resolution. You can slide left or right to fast forward or rewind a file.

Question for the developer, are you able to find a way to record streams from the TV side of the application? That would be a nice feature if they could be recorded and added to the files in the documents section of the app even if you had to give it an initial sequential file name by default.

Also TV streaming onto an AppleTV only sends audio, no video. The work around I figured out is mirroring the iPad, then entering the application (mirroring only came about after the 2nd generation iPad, iPad 1 users are out of luck here). Video plays back on both the iPad as well as the AppleTV, but at least audio mutes on the iPad and comes through on the AppleTV. I only have the second generation of the AppleTV to test with though. I did not try playing back video from RP to the AppleTV to see if it acted any differently.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
How does your performance compare to ec player (easily the best playback wise because of its buffering feature before playing a file) ?

mstrpeak

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
we have the same buffering thing as ec player, but software decoding is much faster. we have done our comparison. ;P
How does your performance compare to ec player (easily the best playback wise because of its buffering feature before playing a file) ?

Seige

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
I would be interested in a promo code, as well. I am using a combination of Goodplayer and AVPlayer atm and I am not completely happy with either.

Cheers

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Humorous

LOL, I paid the $3 and am giving feedback, and I see few people trying lite and providing any feedback but are eager for a free App. Here is some feedback to dev: Offer the promos to those who have tried lite, and provided some feedback, or those who really will use the full version to post a review (based on prior reviews on other Apps). At least then people will know what they are asking for, or if they will use it. Keeps you from waisting 50 promos. Not jealous in the least that some will get it for free, but want to see you get something in exchange for $150 worth of promos. Thanks for the hard work, eager to see more features that make this into a truly extraordinary App.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.