Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I'm looking to purchase a license for a Mac application to view and edit PDF files. I don't want a subscription service, and I'm just looking for good editing all around, whether it's for an editable PDF file that's been created for user input or a "dumb" PDF file to annotate (like Preview.app can do, but hopefully with more power tools and better compatibility across other applications and Windows).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reactions: ivans985

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
I bought PDF Expert years ago when it cost me about £20 and can highly recommend it, though I don't really understand their current pricing structure or what paying the huge subscription fee gets you.

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
I guess these day you have to choose between the default Preview.app and PDF Expert

njvm

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
I use PDFpenPro and Kofax Power PDF for Mac - both of which are licensed. I am however, thinking of getting a licensed (as against subscription) version of Adobe Acrobat 2020.

Reactions: artfossil and mk313

Super T

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2016
Aurora, IL
Bluebeam dropping Mac support is an absolute travesty, at least in the construction industry. I've settled for PDF Expert, not nearly as robust as Bluebeam AT ALL, but OK for what I'd consider basic editing.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I use PDFpen. Free trial. Mac focused. Offers a license and does not require a subscription.
I've been using PDFpenPro for years and years (although now PDFpen is probably all you need) and it has paid for itself over and over again. (Saved me many times dealing with various applications and academic forms.) There's an education discount and you aren't forced to upgrade to a new paid version if your current version is doing what you need.

Reactions: Tagbert

oakrrl

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
I'm looking to purchase a license for a Mac application to view and edit PDF files. I don't want a subscription service, and I'm just looking for good editing all around, whether it's for an editable PDF file that's been created for user input or a "dumb" PDF file to annotate (like Preview.app can do, but hopefully with more power tools and better compatibility across other applications and Windows).

Thanks for any suggestions!
I prefer the UI of PDF Expert, but PDF Element is more powerful - egg,. ability to convert PDFs to Word and Pages files, split documents/extract pages, add headers/footers/watermarks. If you don't need any of those features, go with Expert, but if you need them, Element's really the only choice I'm aware of

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I agree with NJVM, Adobe Acrobat is really the very best software I've used for editing/conversion, but it's really expensive, so it kind of depends on how much you are going to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.