Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech607

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Who is the best at the fairest price for web hosting and domain names. I need feedback PLEASE!

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
dcv said:
A lot of people here seem to like A Small Orange for web hosting; I signed up with them recently myself.
Ditto. AMAZING customer support as well... email them with a question at 3am, and they'll get back to you in minutes. I don't know how they do it.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
ICDSoft.com have been great for me. Customer service is almost instantaneous. Highly recommended.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
pdpfilms said:
Ditto. AMAZING customer support as well... email them with a question at 3am, and they'll get back to you in minutes. I don't know how they do it.

Ditto here - I've never waited more tha an hour for an answer from A Small Orange when I send in an e-mail question.

Earthlink or Dreamhoast on the other hand...

Ezekiel

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
iGary said:
Earthlink or Dreamhoast on the other hand...

I've never used Earthlink but people should never, never use Dreamhost. Only place worse than Dreamhost is Buffet hosting, it was horrific.

I was a long time ASO (A Small Orange) user, I was happy with the service, I was happy with the speed. The only thing that made me switch is that their packages are pretty average in terms of value, just 400mb of size and 10gb of bandwith for $5 just wasn't enough for me, and to upgrade was even worse value. So after much searching I found a great deal, a great service and a hugely fast service.

I am now with http://www.site5.com, I get 15gb space and 500gb transfer for $13 a month (much cheaper if you pay yearly) its cheap, fast and all around superb. I highly recommend them.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
I doubt it, though it is not impossible. .Mac isn't designed for anything more than a personal blog, and most people with a personal blog are happy with domain masking, if they want a domain name at all. :)

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Can I get what you think about these to places/plans

1and1.com
10dollars a month
200gb of storage
2,000gb of data traffic

hostdepartment.com
3.95 a month
unlimited storage
unlimited bandwidth

Has anyone used these two services? I want something with more then 1,000GB of data traffic per month

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
If you are actually going to use more than 1000GB transfer per month, you want a dedicated server. That will cost you $100 and up. The specs these oversellers list are basically a promotional tactic, they will find some other way to cut you off before you reach the maximum.

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
MEDIA TEMPLE!!!!!!!! its amazing

100GB Grid Server
1TB Bandwidth
Ability to hoast 100 Domains
Ruby on Rails
Amazing IMAP Email system, for all the domains
Great Customer service, when I have called I get a real person rite off the bat!!!
Amazingly easy file manager
Auto Install of many web apps
and SOOOOOOOO MUCH MORE

I cant tell you how happy I am with them

and this new Grid Server Technology is amazing.

http://www.mediatemple.com

amazing!!!!!!!

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
MEDIA TEMPLE!!!!!!!! its amazing

I cant tell you how happy I am with them

and this new Grid Server Technology is amazing.

http://www.mediatemple.com

amazing!!!!!!!

I was thinking of switching one or more of my sites to ASO or MT. Sounds like you really like the new grid infrastructure - is it all it's hyped up to be? ASO gets a lot of points for customer service, but really, I hope I never have to interact with my host, so how is their reliability and speed?

I currently use iPowerWeb (stay far far away, they are awful), Dreamhost (for some small family sites with little traffic, so the price was good), and Bluehost (jury still out on them).

I need speed and reliability for a couple of my sites, and the rest I'll leave on DH or BH until my contract is up.

Comments/Suggestions?

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Lunarpages is awesome (their link is in my sig). When you host with them they can host your domain for free, for life. So all you're paying for is the webspace. Plus they just updated storage to 35GB. No problems with them ever. Online tech support is fast and they have toll-free phone support too. Good stuff.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Servage.net

250 GB Web Space (250000 MB) - 2100 GB Transfer
- Unlimited FTP Accounts - FTP Access
- 1000 MySQL Databases (v4 & v5) - FTPS (Encrypted FTP)
-Unlimited Domain Name Hosting

Use me as a referral, you'll get an additional 25GB of web space (275GB)

http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust26973

telmerco

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2006
email redirection

Hi, somewhere up above I asked about domain name hosting at .mac and someone kindly mentioned I could use domain name hosting. Thanks.

One more question - is it possible to do something similar with email. I.e. If I own telmerco@telmer.com can I get emails sent to that to go to my telmerco@mac.com account? Futhermore, does .mac allow a reply to telmerco@telmer.com (I assume so but thought I would ask at the same time).

Thanks in advance

Cheers, Colin

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Can I get what you think about these to places/plans

1and1.com
10dollars a month
200gb of storage
2,000gb of data traffic

I can not recommend staying away from 1and1 enough. They are absolutely ridiculous. I spent an hour on the phone trying to explain what a TXT record in a DNS file is. It's really not that complicated. Eventually, they told me that they couldn't add TXT records, only NS and MX...argh. If you control your own DNS (like I do with most of my clients) it is literally a 2 minute change, but they are so poorly trained, they couldn't figure it out.

Besides that, I was transferred, hung up on, and generally agitated every minute I had to talk to them. Save yourself the hassle and avoid them like the plague.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Hi, somewhere up above I asked about domain name hosting at .mac and someone kindly mentioned I could use domain name hosting. Thanks.

One more question - is it possible to do something similar with email. I.e. If I own telmerco@telmer.com can I get emails sent to that to go to my telmerco@mac.com account? Futhermore, does .mac allow a reply to telmerco@telmer.com (I assume so but thought I would ask at the same time).

Thanks in advance

Cheers, Colin
Yes. This is possible through the use of forwarders. These can be setup in your domain or hosting control panel depending on your host. I am not familiar with .Mac mail, but I'm sure it would be very simple to set the reply-to line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.