Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
I bought a new iMac (2017 model) like 3 weeks before the new ones came out. It is a great machine, and I don't really regret buying it, since it's almost the same to the new one, BUT, I want to sell it or trade it for a Macbook pro from 2018, since I need the portability.

I would be selling it in the German/Austrian area. Is ebay a good option? I never used it before, so I have no idea how it works, basically.

My iMac is in absolutely perfect condition, since I barely used it, and I'm willing to offer a really fair price.

Sorry if this is too much off topic.

Coconutcreampie

Suspended
Aug 31, 2016
NY America
I bought a new iMac (2017 model) like 3 weeks before the new ones came out. It is a great machine, and I don't really regret buying it, since it's almost the same to the new one, BUT, I want to sell it or trade it for a Macbook pro from 2018, since I need the portability.

I would be selling it in the German/Austrian area. Is ebay a good option? I never used it before, so I have no idea how it works, basically.

My iMac is in absolutely perfect condition, since I barely used it, and I'm willing to offer a really fair price.

Sorry if this is too much off topic.

"I would be selling it in the German/Austrian area."

You should have said that in your title since the EU is obviously not a country.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Are you buying the MBP new Apples own trade in program is an option.
I am always cautious selling on eBay something so expensive.
Fees are hefty and really you have little protection has the Seller
Buyer has far more protection which they 9/10 win

I rather take a slight hit and sell it to Apple problem free

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Are you buying the MBP new Apples own trade in program is an option.
I am always cautious selling on eBay something so expensive.
Fees are hefty and really you have little protection has the Seller
Buyer has far more protection which they 9/10 win

I rather take a slight hit and sell it to Apple problem free

Wait, I can sell my 4 months old iMac that I bought from Apple directly to them? I had no idea you can do that..

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Unfortunately, it seems as though I can't trade in my iMac with Apple because they only accept older models?

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
update:

After visiting the Apple store multiple times and calling Apple even more, I've still to receive a clear answer from them.
First, they tell me that they don't buy new products (my iMac is 4-5 months old) and then they tell me to bring it in. And THEN they tell me that they might buy it, but probably not, so I shouldn't even try... What?

And using the US website, it tells me it is worth $600. That just can't be true, right? I bought it in February 2019 for $2400.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
And using the US website, it tells me it is worth $600. That just can't be true, right? I bought it in February 2019 for $2400.
This is why you shouldn’t sell the machine to apple. You’re better off selling on EBay and disclose any little scratch etc so the buyer doesn’t make a PayPal claim after they’ve bought it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.