Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2002
My job might be moving me from the San Francisco Area to San Diego. While I'm thinking about it, I've been trying to figure out where I might live if I went down there. I'm 28 years old and an ideal spot would be a place that is safe but lively, and not too residential. The kind of place that has some bars in walking distance, maybe some decent, not to expensive restaurants, that sort of thing. Easy access to the 163 or 15 would be good too. Anyone from down there got any recommendations? My initial research seems to point to the hillcrest, north park, south park type area but I don't really know. Thanks.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
I can't help you out at all... sorry, but... I feel in love with San Diego when i went there in June. Such a beautiful city!

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i would say look at the pacific beach and mission beach areas. it's a bit further west of your ideal location, but the beach makes up for it. lived there for three years and loved it!!! wish i could go back there though, i'm now stuck in the boonies of south floriduh.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
My wife is from the San Diego area. I love it down there! I'd say, if you can afford it, maybe Coronado Island. It's really nice over there, but cost of living is high. The Gaslamp District is pretty cool, I don't know if there is a lot of living space there though, it can be a little touristy, but it's pretty cool. I've heard the National City area is a place to avoid, but I don't know that first hand.

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
The kind of place that has some bars in walking distance, maybe some decent, not to expensive restaurants, that sort of thing. Easy access to the 163 or 15 would be good too. My initial research seems to point to the hillcrest, north park, south park type area but I don't really know. Thanks.

I would go for North Park / University Heights / Normal Heights.

Depends on what kind of place you're looking for. Normal Heights is a VERY laid back place, it might LOOK slightly shabby but it's really not. There's several good bars, including my favorite, the Ould Sod. A block away from that is Le Stats, a 24/7 coffee shop with free wi-fi, plus live music in a separate venue next to the coffee shop on different days throughout the week such as Open Mic, etc. Across the street from there are cheap but nice dining restaurants, your mandatory 24/7 mexican food eatery, plus gas stations. As if that wasn't enough, the Ken Cinemas and movie store features independent films and video rentals. (If you're into that).

Normal Heights in between the 15, 163 and 805 so it should be easy to get around. Let me know if you have any more questions, I've lived here for too long.

By the way, Hillcrest, University Heights, Normal Heights are all relatively in the same area, and it's a very laid back place to live. There's great stores too in University / Hillcrest.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i would say look at the pacific beach and mission beach areas. it's a bit further west of your ideal location, but the beach makes up for it. lived there for three years and loved it!!! wish i could go back there though, i'm now stuck in the boonies of south floriduh.

pacific beach is off the 5, pretty far from the 163 and the 15, and it can hardly be described as safe. if you're interested in bars, pb is might be the place for you, but i'd never want to live there. i'd look for something near gaslamp or hillcrest. near bars and, even better, near great food.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
If you can afford it, La Jolla is exceptionally convenient and beautiful (just look around, there are affordable places to be found, contrary to the stereotype).

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, my family has lived in the Mission Bay area for more than 100 years now (since the 1890's), I was born in La Jolla, went to Coronado High School and UCSD (in La Jolla), and lived in the San Diego area until I was about 30.

When it came time for my first wife and I to look for a place to live back when I was 18, the area that was on the top of our list was La Mesa. There was no way we could afford to stay in Coronado and La Mesa was close enough to SDSU (where she was going to school at the time and I was working out with my coach)... plus it was a very nice community that wasn't beyond our means.

If I end up moving back to that area, I'll most likely look at La Mesa first again.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I use to live right on 39th street between Madison and Monroe; that would be considered Normal Heights. It's a very laid back, quiet community, right smack next to freeway 15. I miss that place; the kind of weather we have here in March is the kind they have all Summer long.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2002
thanks everyone. I appreciate the replies. Anyone have any thoughts on the golden hill area? Seems like a decent location but I don't know if its a good area or not. Thanks.

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
la jolla (pronounced la hoya) is a ggreat place. i live and go to school there. its always beautiful weather, and the surf is great. lots of places to eat and a lot of places to visit. expense may be high, but its a great trade off for a beautiful place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.