Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I have the 9.7" iPad pro and noticed that when using the Apple Pencil it can sound a little annoying with the plastic tip constantly hitting the glass. What have y'all been using that you've noticed greatly quiets the sound produced by the contact between these two?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the 9.7" iPad pro and noticed that when using the Apple Pencil it can sound a little annoying with the plastic tip constantly hitting the glass. What have y'all been using that you've noticed greatly quiets the sound produced by the contact between these two?
I had an anti-glare screen protector and recently switched to a Power Support crystal clear. Neither had any difference in the tapping when using the pencil. Handwriting instead of printing is definitely more quiet.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I had an anti-glare screen protector and recently switched to a Power Support crystal clear. Neither had any difference in the tapping when using the pencil. Handwriting instead of printing is definitely more quiet.
Oh really? Okay well with noise reduction now out of the question, how is it for actually protecting the screen? For that matter, do you think the pencil could inflict any (even minor) scratches to the screen?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Oh really? Okay well with noise reduction now out of the question, how is it for actually protecting the screen? For that matter, do you think the pencil could inflict any (even minor) scratches to the screen?
I highly recommend a screen protector and especially so if using the Pencil. While I don't believe a clean Pencil tip will scratch a screen, I do think if it happens to catch any piece of grit, you'll have a scratch. When I had on my anti- glare protector using the pencil, I felt a drag with the pencil and immediately stopped. The protector had a deep scratch. If I didn't have a protector I'm pretty sure I would have had a scratched screen.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I highly recommend a screen protector and especially so if using the Pencil. While I don't believe a clean Pencil tip will scratch a screen, I do think if it happens to catch any piece of grit, you'll have a scratch. When I had on my anti- glare protector using the pencil, I felt a drag with the pencil and immediately stopped. The protector had a deep scratch. If I didn't have a protector I'm pretty sure I would have had a scratched screen.
Great, thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.