best small verizon cell phone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by howard, Aug 18, 2005.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

time as come to finally get a new cell phone. My only to requirements are that it is small, and works with verizon. Any suggestions on whats the best?

also, i'd say sub $400. nothing to ridiculous.

2. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

3. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

I have the LG 6000 and it's really nice. Not too expensive. Mine was free with Mail-In Rebate and purchase of a new plan or something.
    It was originally $140 when it came out, don't know what it is now though.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I had the Samsung A___ don't remember the number, it was quite tiny and I loved the size of it (silver flip phone, no camera version-- but there is a camera version of that phone) but it got really really hot whenever I was using it. I just got the Motorolla v265 (I think?) it's black and silver, I rather like it and it's only marginally bigger than that Samsung... still just getting used to it though.

5. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I think you had the A530 - that's what I have right now. small & silver...and it gets hot when you talk for a while. I think a camera version replaced it. My biggest gripe is that it isn't loud enough for me. I have the volume up all the way and it just isn't as loud as I'd like. Not sure if all samsung phones are like this or just this one.

Anyway, I got it b/c it was literally the smallest phone they carried at the time, and I like to keep it in my front pocket, so small is what I wanted...

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I love Motorola phones. I've had my current one for 2 plus years and I'm going to buy a new one before school starts (Tuesday)

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Look at the motorola e815. It is supposed to be pretty good; better than the V710 that Verizon has.

It has bluetooth, but the OBEX is disabled. There is a thread on here (I think) that talks about enabling OBEX and it seems fairly straight forward. If I didnt just get the Samsung A670 two months ago, I would consider this phone.

8. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I have the moto v265. it is ok. it makes calls, but if you care about the screen and camera, well, the camera takes horrible pictures, and the screen washes out in the sun, which is a huge problem in Arizona. It also feels a bit too plastic to me.

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Verizon? The one with the $0/mo plan. I call it my "get a clue you corporate bucketheads"... plan.

10. Kaufy macrumors newbie

Motorola

Motorola camera phone with bluetooth is excellent!

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I have that phone, and I really like it. The camera always takes excellent pictures for me, and the screen is a bit small, but very nice, even outside.

Devilot76: You must mean the a650. I had one of those and it never stopped itself charging one night, and the screen melted.

12. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

According to a recent Consumer Reports article, the top-rated phone for Verizon was the "LG VX8000".
    I couldn't find this phone on the Verizon website, but I did find the VX8100.
    I have seen this phone in the store & it does seem fairly nice, as well as fully loaded.
    It's $150 after the $50 MIR.

Good luck!

13. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

one thing i forgot about. if you are on a new contract and qualify for that new every two policy, watch their prices. At the verzion store i went to, they listed the price of the deluxe package, which includes a leather case, car charger, and a few other items. Every phone was over sixty dollars. The price for the phone itself, without any extra crap most people dont need was listed in very small print. I found it very misleading, and most people didn't catch it, because the salesman wouldn't tell you. Everyone the day i was there walked out with phones wrapped in leather.

14. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I had a Motorola V505, and a V550, they were the 2 best phones, I ever used, and believe me, I've been through alot of junk phones. Definitely go with Motorola!!!!!

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'm thinking of getting the mot. e815 or waiting i heard a rumor that the razr was coming to verizon in nov/dec

16. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Yeah, I heard that too. Apparently it is going to be a CDMA Razr with an external antenna.

17. djkny macrumors 6502

what's a razr?
    The new LG vx8100, I believe, is BT enabled and feels much sturdier than the plastic Motorola e815.

18. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Could I add a stipulation to this thread since I am also looking for a Verizon phone? I want it to work with iSync as well :D

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

external antenna :eek:
    that's would throw off the whole look of the razr

20. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I have a motorola phone the v60s. And it does a great job, non-color screen, simple, kinda small and does the job reallllly good.

Just thought I'd throw that in there :)

My service provider: Verizon :D

21. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

I really like the design of a lot of these phones, but some of them are to big/to much for me. Mainly I'm thinking small small small. I like the LG 81000, I'll have to check that one out. And a few of the motorola's, like the v260.

actually the e810 is probably my favorite design, but it looks to big.

22. bebo macrumors member

bebo

heard the razr gets horrible reception.

I've been contemplating the e815 from motorola as well.

23. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Motorola E815 and LG VX8100. I like the Motorola a little bit better, but that's just a matter of taste after holding them both. I don't like the VX8100's design over the VX8000 for some reason.

I never considered the RAZR. Saw so many negative reviews on it that I didn't want to bother. And when I found out that Cingular didn't provide to my area, I just trashed the idea all together. I've seen a couple of my friends' RAZRs although I haven't had the chance to play around with them. I wasn't left very impressed - that phone looks a whole lot better when it's doing that rotating animation on Motorola's website.