Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
time as come to finally get a new cell phone. My only to requirements are that it is small, and works with verizon. Any suggestions on whats the best?

also, i'd say sub $400. nothing to ridiculous.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
I have the LG 6000 and it's really nice. Not too expensive. Mine was free with Mail-In Rebate and purchase of a new plan or something.
It was originally $140 when it came out, don't know what it is now though.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I had the Samsung A___ don't remember the number, it was quite tiny and I loved the size of it (silver flip phone, no camera version-- but there is a camera version of that phone) but it got really really hot whenever I was using it. I just got the Motorolla v265 (I think?) it's black and silver, I rather like it and it's only marginally bigger than that Samsung... still just getting used to it though.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
devilot76 said:
I had the Samsung A___ don't remember the number, it was quite tiny and I loved the size of it (silver flip phone, no camera version-- but there is a camera version of that phone) but it got really really hot whenever I was using it. I just got the Motorolla v265 (I think?) it's black and silver, I rather like it and it's only marginally bigger than that Samsung... still just getting used to it though.

I think you had the A530 - that's what I have right now. small & silver...and it gets hot when you talk for a while. I think a camera version replaced it. My biggest gripe is that it isn't loud enough for me. I have the volume up all the way and it just isn't as loud as I'd like. Not sure if all samsung phones are like this or just this one.

Anyway, I got it b/c it was literally the smallest phone they carried at the time, and I like to keep it in my front pocket, so small is what I wanted...

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Look at the motorola e815. It is supposed to be pretty good; better than the V710 that Verizon has.

It has bluetooth, but the OBEX is disabled. There is a thread on here (I think) that talks about enabling OBEX and it seems fairly straight forward. If I didnt just get the Samsung A670 two months ago, I would consider this phone.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I have the moto v265. it is ok. it makes calls, but if you care about the screen and camera, well, the camera takes horrible pictures, and the screen washes out in the sun, which is a huge problem in Arizona. It also feels a bit too plastic to me.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Verizon? The one with the $0/mo plan. I call it my "get a clue you corporate bucketheads"... plan.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
furryrabidbunny said:
I have the moto v265. it is ok. it makes calls, but if you care about the screen and camera, well, the camera takes horrible pictures, and the screen washes out in the sun, which is a huge problem in Arizona. It also feels a bit too plastic to me.

I have that phone, and I really like it. The camera always takes excellent pictures for me, and the screen is a bit small, but very nice, even outside.

Devilot76: You must mean the a650. I had one of those and it never stopped itself charging one night, and the screen melted.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
howard said:
My only to requirements are that it is small, and works with verizon. Any suggestions on whats the best?

According to a recent Consumer Reports article, the top-rated phone for Verizon was the "LG VX8000".
I couldn't find this phone on the Verizon website, but I did find the VX8100.
I have seen this phone in the store & it does seem fairly nice, as well as fully loaded.
It's $150 after the $50 MIR.

Good luck!

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
one thing i forgot about. if you are on a new contract and qualify for that new every two policy, watch their prices. At the verzion store i went to, they listed the price of the deluxe package, which includes a leather case, car charger, and a few other items. Every phone was over sixty dollars. The price for the phone itself, without any extra crap most people dont need was listed in very small print. I found it very misleading, and most people didn't catch it, because the salesman wouldn't tell you. Everyone the day i was there walked out with phones wrapped in leather.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
I had a Motorola V505, and a V550, they were the 2 best phones, I ever used, and believe me, I've been through alot of junk phones. Definitely go with Motorola!!!!!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i'm thinking of getting the mot. e815 or waiting i heard a rumor that the razr was coming to verizon in nov/dec

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
puckhead193 said:
i'm thinking of getting the mot. e815 or waiting i heard a rumor that the razr was coming to verizon in nov/dec
Yeah, I heard that too. Apparently it is going to be a CDMA Razr with an external antenna.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
MacUser1 said:
Yeah, I heard that too. Apparently it is going to be a CDMA Razr with an external antenna.

what's a razr?
The new LG vx8100, I believe, is BT enabled and feels much sturdier than the plastic Motorola e815.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
MacUser1 said:
external antenna :eek:
that's would throw off the whole look of the razr

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I have a motorola phone the v60s. And it does a great job, non-color screen, simple, kinda small and does the job reallllly good.

Just thought I'd throw that in there :)

My service provider: Verizon :D

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
I really like the design of a lot of these phones, but some of them are to big/to much for me. Mainly I'm thinking small small small. I like the LG 81000, I'll have to check that one out. And a few of the motorola's, like the v260.

actually the e810 is probably my favorite design, but it looks to big.

bebo

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
heard the razr gets horrible reception.

I've been contemplating the e815 from motorola as well.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Motorola E815 and LG VX8100. I like the Motorola a little bit better, but that's just a matter of taste after holding them both. I don't like the VX8100's design over the VX8000 for some reason.

I never considered the RAZR. Saw so many negative reviews on it that I didn't want to bother. And when I found out that Cingular didn't provide to my area, I just trashed the idea all together. I've seen a couple of my friends' RAZRs although I haven't had the chance to play around with them. I wasn't left very impressed - that phone looks a whole lot better when it's doing that rotating animation on Motorola's website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.