Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben1l

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I have a Mac Studio and speaker system that I'd like to connect to via Optical. I'm currently using a

Cubilux USB C to SPDIF Transmitter nut the audio keeps dropping. What's a better alternative please?​

hgfjhbvytjdnb

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
Depends how much you want to "drop" aka spend. An external DAC would be an obvious answer. Topping D10 does what you need, is reasonably priced and has good parameters.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
There might be something wrong with the one you have and/or its just not truly compatible with the Mac.

It's not a common setup so options are probably limited…perhaps limited to some higher-end interfaces (that have WAY more features than you need) if you want reliability.

I suppose you've considered going into the speakers analog either directly from the Mac or via a USB to analog device, if possible.

Is the digital to analog converter on the speakers better than the one in the Mac or third-party adapters?

multimania

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
I have that attached to my Mac Studio. I use it to pipe audio to my laptop running an RME interface. Maybe you do have a bad one as it’s worked very well in my case. Obviously the MS has to be the main clock provider, so the receiving device needs to play nicely there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.