Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I've basically finished the basics of my application (news group reader) but before I go onto the next stage I need to add a UI to allow people to choose articles and display newsgroups etc. Does anyone know of a command line UI that is better than ncurses? If not I'll just use that as it is a pretty easy API to pickup.

Thanks for any help :).

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
A command line UI?

Yep. Like ncurses. Note I said UI (User Interface) NOT GUI (Graphical User Interface).

As for Ruby and the Cocoa bindings it is just another language I would have to learn.

I'm already pretty bogged down with trying to improve my C and get to grips with x86 assembly (which is not going too well).

Anyway the whole point of the application was to write a command line app that I could later bolt a GUI onto. I'm interested in learning new things, but there comes a time where I need to prioritise and adding another language wouldn't help my long term goals too much at the moment.

toddburch

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Katy, Texas
Well, a character based menu system in C is a no-brainer, sort of like
Code:
Enter a selection: 
1. Do something
2. Do something else 
3. Do nothing
4. Go away

If you want to get fancy, you could implement the interface such that any action that is kicked off from the menu selection is spawned in another thread or process, so the menu system will always be ready for the next selection. (just like it would be in a GUI)

Todd

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I think what everyone has meant to say is "no". If you want to practice integrating with an API, ncurses should be fine. If you just want an interface, making your own wouldn't be terribly difficult, but things like arrowing through lines, etc. would definitely be better suited to ncurses than trying to figure out all of the escape sequences for video inversion for the selected lines, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.