Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I guess you could always do that with tap and hold?
Yea but it's different and pops up a little window. And plus not every app supports so you get confused - should I hold or press in on the number ?!?

zdenka

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Press HARD on display while screen is off, activates the Flashlight.
Also, press display to wake up phone. Useful for seeing notification and time!

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Press HARD on display while screen is off, activates the Flashlight.
Also, press display to wake up phone. Useful for seeing notification and time!
Tried this, didn't work. Is there a setting for this?

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Just think of the possibilities of it with jailbreaking tweaking. I for one can't wait and yes I know jailbreaking isn't for everyone but for those of us that do it I'd going to be great.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I may be wrong, but I don't think the sensors for 3D Touch are always on. I imagine they turn in with th screen.

You're right, the sensors aren't "always on". The reason is, it requires the backlight. The sensors measure the distance of the light between the backlight and the back of the display (the sensors are on the back of the display.) With the screen off, it has no light to measure. So 3D Touch to wake isn't possible yet.

Reactions: lordofthereef

zdenka

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
You're right, the sensors aren't "always on". The reason is, it requires the backlight. The sensors measure the distance of the light between the backlight and the back of the display (the sensors are on the back of the display.) With the screen off, it has no light to measure. So 3D Touch to wake isn't possible yet.
I would imagine it could work by utilizing the now always-on M9 motion chip.. this is how "Hey Siri" works all the time without plugged in. Now, anytime you pickup the phone to press the display while off, the M9 chip could send a signal to turn on the backlight once it detects a finger press on the capacitance screen. The 3D Touch should be activated at the same time also, perhaps a micro-second later at most.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Apple doesn't want you to close all apps. This is a common misconception.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
My favorite at the moment is on the camera app, selecting a selfie, Slow-mo video, or regular photo. Swiping in-app takes forever.

Second favorite is during text entry to move the cursor - but I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't just allow two fingers as they do on the iPad; maybe they figured you don't have enough space to move two fingers around? Either way, it gets confusing when I try 3-D touching the iPad. :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I would imagine it could work by utilizing the now always-on M9 motion chip.. this is how "Hey Siri" works all the time without plugged in. Now, anytime you pickup the phone to press the display while off, the M9 chip could send a signal to turn on the backlight once it detects a finger press on the capacitance screen. The 3D Touch should be activated at the same time also, perhaps a micro-second later at most.
Based on what was just explained, I don't think what you're suggesting is possible with said hardware. If it requires a backlight I certainly have zero interest in the backlight coming on ever time I try and tap. The costs of being able to turn a flashlight on a second sooner outweighs the benefit lol.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I thought so to, but I started closing apps a couple days ago and got drastically better battery life. I think it has to do with Background App Refresh.

Keep Background Refresh off, and there is no need to close apps if you desire more battery life. I've never had Background Refresh on, and have no concerns. :apple:

zdenka

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Based on what was just explained, I don't think what you're suggesting is possible with said hardware. If it requires a backlight I certainly have zero interest in the backlight coming on ever time I try and tap. The costs of being able to turn a flashlight on a second sooner outweighs the benefit lol.
I believe it would work. The backlight would only come on when you press hard on the screen, and it doesn't have to come on at full brightness maybe ~1 nits. A certain phone maker already uses a less advanced 'knock knock' to wake the display so that's why I think it would work. Besides, if you're pressing/tapping the display, you'd want the backlight coming on anyway because you're either going to check notifications and/or unlock phone.. otherwise you wouldn't be pressing the display in the first place

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.