Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marklight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I have multiple seasons of seinfeld ripped from DVD. I put them all into TV Shows and I'm looking for a good way to organize them for Front Row. I was hoping that in front row I could go to TV Shows, then Click on an album called Seinfeld where they'd all be under, and then from there see albums for each season. I haven't been able to do that.

I set all of their Show names to Seinfeld, and then set all of their seasons - but this gives me a bunch of albums that all are called Seinfeld, and I don't know what season it is unless I go into the album to look at the episodes.

Then I tried to set the show names to Seinfeld season 1, season 2 etc. This gave me a bunch of albums each titled with their correct season, however this really clutters up your front row menus- having say 9 albums for each season just for one show is very cumbersome ...

Any suggestions?

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
A program called Lostify will help you fix the metadata on your episodes ie sorting your files. Only downside is you'll have to go through each one manually.

b.

marklight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I had the original season 1 +2, and 3 a while back. When I still used my pc, I put them all into xvid format. Now I just use a link file (.mov) that allows them to go into iTunes. I'm not having problems tagging them really- I'm just having organizational issues- I want there to be a master seinfeld album, and then inside that album to be multiple albums for each season - sounds easy enough but it hasn't been so far.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
yeah i thought itunes movies were all mp4 / m4a???

different point but have u tried playing the .mov file in itunes? do u get picture+audio?

the problems of sorting are in the metadata that you can't alter through itunes.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
ok, try downloading this script: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts01.php?page=1#setvideokindofselected

once downloaded and you do what it tells you to do, open up itunes, highlight all of your sienfeld shows, then hit the script button at the top and click "select video type of selected" change them all to TV Shows and change all the names to sienfeld. Once you've done that, individually select each season and then run the script and change the season # to the correct one, let me know how that works.

BTW: Sienfeld rocks!!

marklight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
ok, try downloading this script: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts01.php?page=1#setvideokindofselected

once downloaded and you do what it tells you to do, open up itunes, highlight all of your sienfeld shows, then hit the script button at the top and click "select video type of selected" change them all to TV Shows and change all the names to sienfeld. Once you've done that, individually select each season and then run the script and change the season # to the correct one, let me know how that works.

BTW: Sienfeld rocks!!

This is what I originally had done. What this does is it gives you a bunch of albums all called seinfeld, but you cannot see what the season number is unless you look at the contents of the album. To alleviate this I changed all of the show names to Seinfeld S01, Seinfeld S02 etc and this gives you a bunch of albums then. The problem with this is if you have all nine seasons of seinfeld, like I will one day, then you'll have 9 albums and it's just clutters things up. I just was wondering if anyone knew a way to make there be 1 seinfeld album and inside it albums for each season.

The only way I know how to get close to this is to just set the show name of all the episodes to seinfeld, and do NOT add any episode data. However this is awful because then you get a whole bunch of seinfeld episodes in one folder. if you have like 150 episodes of a show it sucks to have to scroll down a super long distance just to get the episode you want.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I had the same problem sorting my files out and found out that sorting the ALBUM name does nothing, you have to actually sort the SHOW name.

marklight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I had the same problem sorting my files out and found out that sorting the ALBUM name does nothing, you have to actually sort the SHOW name.

Woops, I should be a bit more clear - I have two tags that I have tried editing- the Show name and the Season . I have edited both of these using Dougs Apple script "setvideokind." So I am, as far as I can tell sorting these all by show. when i say album I'm simply referring to how all the videos of the show, show up as one unit in either front row or the itunes album view.

Like my band of brothers all show up as just one show - band of brothers- and if i click on that in front row then I can see all the individual shows.

I would just like for all of seinfeld to show up as seinfeld in front row as one large category- then if i click on that it will show me all of my seasons- and then i can click on the seasons to see each individual episode.

Gentile

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
When Front Row was updated with Leopard it changed the sorting of tv shows like you described. So now a show like Seinfeld will have each season listed separately. Previously all the seasons were listed under the show name such as Seinfeld.

This makes Front Row look bad and is hard to use. It doesn't list all the seasons in any particular order.

I was hoping this would be changed in the latest update, but sadly it was not.

The only way to fix this for the time being is to put all the shows in a series under 1 season or change the show name for each season to Seinfeld - Season 1, Seinfeld Season 2.

eldonhenley

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2006
Springfield, MO
I second this problem...

Apple definitely needs to give each TV show it's own folder, containing folders for each season, containing the respective episodes... (within :apple:tv and Front Row)

I have my movies (.avi's) on an external drive. So, to avoid moving and converting them all for iTunes importing (for use w/ front row), I exported each of them as a Reference file out of QTpro. Then I imported those files (.mov's) into itunes and organized them using the correct metadata. This resulted in front row displaying each season as merely the name of the show, no way to identify which season of the show i was navigating to.

I guess for now, I'll just stick with keeping the Shows organized on my external, and putting an alias of the drive in my Movies folder. (but this will not work once I take the plunge and buy an :apple:tv)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.