Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
I want to rip some dvds I have to divx format (for xmbc), but I haven't really had any luck with most of the programs out there (handbrake, ffmpeg, d-vision 3). They either come back with low bitrates, big file sizes or audio that's out of sync.

Is there anything good out there.. or settings that have proven to work well?

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
what filesize/bitrate are you looking for?

when i use 2 pass ffmpeg it comes pretty close. My standards are 1 hr of video = 1GB

you could also try dvd2onex or dvdremaster

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Handbrake by far offers the best quality and easiest to use solution i've used on OSX. Make sure to select Xvid encoder (not FFMPEG), and AVI container file, not MP4. Mp3 audio @ 128kbps. 800-1gb should be perfect size for a HQ movie rip. Make sure to enable 2 pass encoding.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I use Mac The Ripper and ffmpegX to rip and convert DVDs, this seemed to work pretty well on my two practice rips. A little loss in quality but I guess that has more to do with the settings I used. Once I get around to it I'll see if I can find some better settings to see if works any better.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
when i've used handbrake in the past, if I tell it to create a file that's say, 700mb, it never comes back with anything near that size. Usually 50-75mb lower.

I guess I'll try a bit more when I get home tonight.

Paul S

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
How did Mediafork work? Looks like now they're back together (Handbrake and Mediafork).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.