Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbeliever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hey Yall...

What is the best way to make sure all my business files are available on 2 Macs at once in real-ish time? (plus accessible on my iPad Pro)

I'm a real estate broker with thousands of files of properties. I need to access all of the files form my Studio, Macbook Pro & iPad pro.

It's well under 500GB of files.

Should I store it all on the Studio or external connected to the Studio and enable the iCloud Desktop/Documents folder? (i hve the 2 TB plan for iCloud)?

I'd prefer not to use a 3rd party app.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I second iCloud. Ensures accessibility on all Macs and iPad, and iPhone for that matter, and doesn’t require you to be on the network (helpful for real estate).

Reactions: curdy and 960design

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
What is the best way to make sure all my business files are available on 2 Macs at once in real-ish time? (plus accessible on my iPad Pro)

Should I store it all on the Studio or external connected to the Studio and enable the iCloud Desktop/Documents folder? (i hve the 2 TB plan for iCloud)?
I have multiple MacBookPros, an iMac, Mac Mini, iPad 11, Asus G14 (Windows), Asus Zenbook Pro Duo 15 ( Windows ), a beastly AMD 7900X / 4090 custom build (Windows) and use iCloud to share documents between them all.

I create additional folders within the iCloud Drive: Finder > Command + N ( to open new finder window ) > iCloud > File > New Folder

You can even access your files from your grandmother's laptop. Just open a browser and log into iCloud.com: view or download what you wish. Easy peasy.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Yeah, using the cloud (iCloud is one option) is the easiest way.
The other (old) alternative is to create your own file server, which requires you to have an always on computer at home and fumbles around with your router/ISP modem.

macbeliever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Thanks all for your replies.

Seems like iCloud is by far the simplest method.

Hoping someone has encountered this situation in the past as I'm a bit confused.

Currently, my MBP has all of my files on it's hard drive. I have all files on my MBP in my iCloud Drive.

I'd like to move all of those files to my Mac Studio and add them to the iCloud drive from the Studio and essentially delete them from my MBP local hard drive.

I confused on how the settings should be arranged on each machine.

Can anyone help me gain some clarity?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'd like to move all of those files to my Mac Studio and add them to the iCloud drive from the Studio and essentially delete them from my MBP local hard drive.
Step 0: Ensure Studio is connected to WiFi and has access to the internet.
Step 1: Sign into Studio using same iCloud account as on the MBP.
Step 2: Sync starts with default settings. If you have changed things around, unchange them. Grab a coffee, depending on how fast your internet speed is, it may take a few hours for everything to sync up.

PS. You stated: "I have all files on my MBP in my iCloud Drive." You could literally throw your MBP into the ocean and still get your files back. They are currently stored on Apple Servers. Delta changes get pushed if you modify a file, newly created files get uploaded as internet allows ( typically pretty quickly, unless you are like someone I know that somehow created a 23GB pdf... that may take an hour or so ).

Last edited:
Reactions: macbeliever
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.