Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I am really unhappy with school, really isn't for me. After this summer I'll be getting two AAs (woot woot?). I was planning on attending ASU, but I know school isn't for me. I am a very intelligent person, it isn't difficulty or bad grades chasing me out of school, but I simply do not like it. What is the best way to start a job search? I have a monster and jobing account and a resume written. I am mostly interested in Bank and Sales positions. My personal goal is to have a job by the time spring semester ends (second week of May). Should I go the online route, drive around a to these places and make contacts?

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I hope you have thought this through thoroughly because statistically speaking a college background will open more and better doors for you.

In any event, it is my opinion that the best way to do it is to make contacts. When I was looking for a new job a few years ago I went the online route for a little while, and it really got me nowhere. I changed direction, and focused on using the internet to get information about potential opportunities and then worked on finding actual contacts at those places, or with someone in the same field. That worked much better.

It may work even better when you talk and network with people to ask for advice rather than ask straight out for a job. That technique works two-fold:

1. You get advice on how to get into a career in that area. This will help you hone your plan and even let you know if the career is worth it to you.
2. You build a relationship with the person, and they will be more likely to help you down the road.

If that doesn't make sense then kind of think of it like this.... What would make you more comfortable: someone coming up to you and just asking for a job or someone coming up to you and asking for advice on how to get a job? Most people are more willing to work with you and give you advice than they are to just straight out give you a job (like they have to do all the work for you). In the process of giving advice and working with you and building a relationship with you they may find that you're a good fit for something they know of or may be able to put you in contact with someone who has a good fit for you.

Anyway, just my $.02.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-furryrabidbunny

I agree with floriflee, think long and hard about it.

I know you can't wait to get into life, I was there too. But please realize there is a lot more life on the other side of the college barrier, do you really want to risk spending it regretting not going to college?

Besides, for me and a lot of people, the best education I got in college was outside of class, and boy do I miss a lot of it, and those people.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I never said that I wasn't open to school... i've actually have finished the registration process to go to ASU. However, what you guys are saying is one side of the story. I know many people that have multiple bachelor's degrees and do nothing with them, and they hardly enjoyed the school experience.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
furryrabidbunny said:
I never said that I wasn't open to school... i've actually have finished the registration process to go to ASU. However, what you guys are saying is one side of the story. I know many people that have multiple bachelor's degrees and do nothing with them, and they hardly enjoyed the school experience.

College is soo damn fun though.......;)

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
furryrabidbunny said:

-furryrabidbunny

It may surprise you to know that my career isn't anywhere near my degree either. But that was not my point.

At the risk of further distracting your question one more second, please read between the lines on our responses here. Would we be so opinionated for the experience if we didn't feel it was worth it?

That being said. For a job search - and I've been through many. Start with networking. Ask around to your friends, family, anybody. Heck, and opportunity could hit when you are shopping at Best Buy or something.

Have an "Elevator Pitch" What you want to do, ready to go should you find an opportunity with a very short amount of time to say it.

The best thing to say to someone who is a contact - even those that may actually have the job opening - is to ask them "Do you have any advice on where I could go, or who I could talk to about finding a job?" This defuses the defensive reasion of 'oh, gee another job seeker' and appeals to the know-it-all in them. They will be more likely to help - and if they have an openeing themselves, they'll tell you.

Hope this helps.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ok my .02 College is good but it wont get you anywhere without skills or gumption, I also think that college in many ways can hurt you by teaching things that you will never use and still might not get that dream job. College isn't for everyone and you can make a good living if you work hard at it, However this doesn't mean that you should not go to college but if its not your cup of tea you should not be ridiculed for it. Everyone pushes kids to go to college when a good many aren't ready right out of High School or just aren't cut out for it. To say that college is the only way to succeed in life is silly.

Do what makes you happy, if its college stick with it, if not find something you love and get the training you need to succeed.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Well I already got a call back, from Chase, to work in their large downtown Tempe building doing something with credit... probably wont be able to do it though, because training falls under finals week.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
MacNut said:
I also think that college in many ways can hurt you by teaching things that you will never use and still might not get that dream job.

You use just about everything you learn, even if you don't know it.

Learning more, at least in a college setting, probably isn't going to hurt you in life!

To the OP: Why do you think banking or sales? Nothing against either of these fields, just trying to get a broader sense of your interests. What will you do in your free time (besides MR ;) )? If you're thinking sales for a massive corporation during the day and something independently fulfilling after work (entrepreneurship, writing a great novel, whatever), great. But make sure your instinct/drive for independent, personal fulfillment is realized. Otherwise the money will pile up and you might be miserable.

College was a wonderful experience for me, mainly because academia and ideas give me that personal fulfillment. But if you're burnt, it's ok to explore other options (for now or forever). Just remember there's more to the day than the work day! Keep track and be vigilant of everything you're learning so that you're able to "rethink the actual from the standpoint of the possible."

[/minirantaboutlifelonglearning]

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
thedude110 said:
You use just about everything you learn, even if you don't know it.

Learning more, at least in a college setting, probably isn't going to hurt you in life!

To the OP: Why do you think banking or sales? Nothing against either of these fields, just trying to get a broader sense of your interests. What will you do in your free time (besides MR ;) )? If you're thinking sales for a massive corporation during the day and something independently fulfilling after work (entrepreneurship, writing a great novel, whatever), great. But make sure your instinct/drive for independent, personal fulfillment is realized. Otherwise the money will pile up and you might be miserable.

College was a wonderful experience for me, mainly because academia and ideas give me that personal fulfillment. But if you're burnt, it's ok to explore other options (for now or forever). Just remember there's more to the day than the work day! Keep track and be vigilant of everything you're learning so that you're able to "rethink the actual from the standpoint of the possible."

[/minirantaboutlifelonglearning]
I've never put too much personal investment into work, nor do I really like having piles of money. I love going to concerts with friends, going to dinner with friends, macrumors, discoverying and buying new music, taking pictures, and taking life easy. I am also a news whore and adult swim junkie (isn't everyone?). For awhile, I was going to pursue a bachelors in political science, but ASU requires two years of a foreign language. I have nothing against those that dont speak english and I envy those that can speak multiple languages, but i've never been around anything more than english and learning another language has been the only thing I have ever struggled with and have been unsuccessful at. I reasoned with myself, and still believe, that in that field I can educate myself through reading and television and still stay knowledgeable. At this point in my life, I would be happy with my two two year degrees, a steady job with okay income, and a fun life that I am having right now. I picked those two fields because I have a great personality while at work (lol) and can listen and sell things. I am frequently told by the ladies I have charm (and people interviewing me for jobs and interships that later fall apart) and can listen. I figure couple that with average to above average math skills I should be a good saleman?

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
I think it really depends. I'm going more towards a creative route (art, graphic design, film editing) and you don't really NEED a degree more than you need the creativity. I'm not really interested in having a six-figure paycheck because I do know how to manage my money. I'd rather have a career that I love. I did go to a university but I never finished.

I know the billionaires in this community with college degrees will not like my advice. :p

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
furryrabidbunny said:
At this point in my life, I would be happy with my two two year degrees, a steady job with okay income, and a fun life that I am having right now. I picked those two fields because I have a great personality while at work (lol) and can listen and sell things. I am frequently told by the ladies I have charm (and people interviewing me for jobs and interships that later fall apart) and can listen. I figure couple that with average to above average math skills I should be a good saleman?

What you've described above is basically my feelings as well. Im beinginning to think Sales/Marketing are my way to go, due to the fact that Im very social, a strong listener, and can make good points (and I enjoy all this). Right now my major is Psychology (but God knows that could change).

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Stridder44 said:
What you've described above is basically my feelings as well. Im beinginning to think Sales/Marketing are my way to go, due to the fact that Im very social, a strong listener, and can make good points (and I enjoy all this). Right now my major is Psychology (but God knows that could change).
Yep... pretty much suckered into the whole "liberal arts is so great thing." Throughout my college career, I've taken mostly political science and sociology classes. Every advisor that has talked to me asked if I was going to become a teacher? Yeah its great to be knowledgable but if it doesn't talk you anywhere who cares? My best friend is a psychology major too... he fails most of his classes because he can't stay awake and psyc is the only thing he does good in so it was major by default LoL. I keep telling him he is setting himself up for failure. He hates school (yes it is a community college, but Mesa Community College is accredited and has three campuses, and most of the staff are adjuncts from ASU) and works at wal-mart full time. He basically goes to school because he was programed to and sees no future without something that he hates and bores him. Poor fellow is about to sink 7-8k a semester into ASU next spring.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I hated college myself but yet i went to TWO(and Finished all of em)...damn. That college experience will stay with u though....anyway back on topic...good luck with the job thing in whatever u pick.

Bless

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I enjoy reading people's input here...being a college student myself it's nice to hear suggestions and tips by those who are "in the know"

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think this guy is asking about how to search for a job, so I'm just wondering why so many people think their opinion on whether to go to college, and their own college experience is so important that they must share it. :confused:

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Abstract said:
I think this guy is asking about how to search for a job, so I'm just wondering why so many people think their opinion on whether to go to college, and their own college experience is so important that they must share it. :confused:
That is what it pretty much turned it to. Luckly I have had seven call backs in just five days.

adroit

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
Does your school have any program where you can work while studying? Here in Canada we have a program call co-op where we will go to school for 4 months and then work for 4 months (where they help you find the job) and continue the cycle. I'm not a big fan of school either and I love working so it is really nice to be able to break up the school time. You should see if there are any program like that at your school, this might make getting your degree a little easier.

furryrabidbunny said:
That is what it pretty much turned it to. Luckly I have had seven call backs in just five days.

Doesn't seem like you need much help anyhow. Good luck with your job interviews.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Wow. When I first read the title I thought it said Best way to start a Jobs Search and I was going to say: "well, he is probably somewhere in california so thats a start..."

Good thing I didn't actually post that and made a total fool of myself... :eek:

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
adroit said:
Does your school have any program where you can work while studying? Here in Canada we have a program call co-op where we will go to school for 4 months and then work for 4 months (where they help you find the job) and continue the cycle. I'm not a big fan of school either and I love working so it is really nice to be able to break up the school time. You should see if there are any program like that at your school, this might make getting your degree a little easier.

Doesn't seem like you need much help anyhow. Good luck with your job interviews.
That sounds like a cool program... I haven't heard of anything like that in Arizona (or anywhere else for that matter). What schools mostly offer here are just internships, which are awesome for experience but suck for pay. The college I got accepted to and would be attending if work doesn't pay off is really internship based (I was accepted to the College of Human Services as a social work major, I am interested in that field and have been accepted to interships already, but all of them fell apart).

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
w_parietti22 said:
Wow. When I first read the title I thought it said Best way to start a Jobs Search and I was going to say: "well, he is probably somewhere in california so thats a start..."

Good thing I didn't actually post that and made a total fool of myself... :eek:
I knew exactly what the poster meant, but I was going to post that just for fun. :p

...I'll start at 1 Infinite Loop and you can start at his home in Woodside. We'll meet somewhere in the middle. If that fails, who wants to search Disney Headquarters and possibly San Francisco?

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.