Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgilbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Ok, I have an old Blue and White G3 and I want to know what the best way to upgrade it would be. The cheaper the better but if I can upgrade the hell out of it for under $600 then I would go that route... My big question is, would there be any way that I could take out my old motherboard and put in a new G4 motherboard??? I say this because I have 768mb of PC100 168pin SDRAM DIMM and I wonder if it would work in a G4 motherboard? I also have an 80Gig drive and a DVD-ROM and a TV Tuner card that I don't want to have to buy again if I were to buy a used or refurbished G4. So if I can just by a good G4 motherboard, would it work in my G3 case??? And which model should I buy? Any hints? Thanks for any help!!!

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Get a G5! I did! :D
No just kidding (well, I bought a G5). However you can buy processorupgrade cards for you G3. The upgrade cards have speeds till 1.42 mhz and it's a G4! You will however keep your own motherboard, so your stuck with the 100 mhz bus. And ofcourse so is your ram. If you do buy a new motherboard for a g4, you probably have to buy other ram because of the increased busspeed.

mgilbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Yea, I agree... I think the most bang for my buck would be to just try and get either a 900mhz G3 processor upgrade or lower mhz G4 upgrade (I'm shooting for something below $300). Oh and trust me, I WOULD LOVE TO GET A G5... but I'm trying to save up for a house because I just got married and I hate my appartment. :) Really I'm just looking to put a little bit of money into my old G3 to carry me another year or so till I get a house and a G5 (or perhaps an even better model in a few years... G6 anyone??? haha!)

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Try to do as little as possible

As someone who spend some cash upgrading a B&W about a year ago, I'd recommend doing as little as possible and stashing $100 a month towards buying a nice used G4 in 6-8 months time.

One thing you might think about is overclocking the existing chip. If you are interested in a CPU upgrade, look here. If you put in the B&W, there are about 1000 reviews of other upgraders...

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/cpureview.lasso

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.