Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I've been using StableBee and it works quite well, but is very limited.

All other options seem to be quite complicated to set up and much of the information from just a few weeks/months ago is already outdated. What is the most elegant solution right now?

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
I'm interested in this too. What are StableBee's limitations?

I'd like something that can start with my existing sketches and improve and color them while maintaining something of the original. I'm not really a fan of how AI art actually looks at the moment.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I'm interested in this too. What are StableBee's limitations?

I'd like something that can start with my existing sketches and improve and color them while maintaining something of the original. I'm not really a fan of how AI art actually looks at the moment.
StableBee is very barebones, lacking most of the options of other builds. But I am pretty new to this as well. But especially the img2img, which is what you would be using, has almost not options for fine-tuning in StableBee.

Reactions: Algr

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I almost went with trying to install AUTOMATIC1111 but apparently it's sort of semi-supported on Macs and they also had problems with malicious code. Thinking of trying InvokeAI. Has anyone tried that yet?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
InvokeAI had more options than Diffusion Bee when I ran it last month in Sept. It only needed completion time but there have been three recent updates since. I'm back on Big Sur otherwise I would test the updates to see what's new.

screen-shot-2022-09-18-at-5-58-42-am-png.2070665

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Those are quite nice. I don't know what most of those settings mean though. You are rendering in 512x512? That seems alarmingly low rez. Do you upscale later or something?

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Those are quite nice. I don't know what most of those settings mean though. You are rendering in 512x512? That seems alarmingly low rez. Do you upscale later or something?
Yes, the AI is trained on 512x512 images and that is its native resolution.

Adreitz

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
After generating at 512x512, many people either simply AI upscale or do a cycle of breaking the image up into sections, AI upscaling, running each upscaled section through SD using img2img to regenerate small details, and stitching them back together. InvokeAI automates both options. It's a bit kludgy, but the image can't get any more artificial than it already is.

Reactions: danqi

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Well I downloaded Diffusion Bee. It seems to run correctly, no crashes. But it is very hard to control output. I was trying to make a Tardis console room, and nothing I can do can produce walls that are not 90°, nor an open uncluttered environment with a table in the middle.
I'm doubtful about this taking work from artists - if you want random pics it is fine, but working towards a novel output seems impossible.

Last edited:

Adreitz

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
Note that Apple just released some code enabling Stable Diffusion to run through CoreML. The model files need to be converted for this to work. Apple provides some benchmark results on the GitHub page, but unfortunately they don't compare it to PyTorch SD on the same machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.