Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Safari gives you slightly more browsing space than firefox default.

Left Safari, Right Firefox

Left is Firefox, right is Safari. If it wasn't for the two buttons for bookmarks and top sites that I didn't want on Firefox, it would be hard to tell the two apart.

Themes FTW

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-12 at 7.49.30 PM.PNG
    Screen shot 2010-04-12 at 7.49.30 PM.PNG
    29.5 KB · Views: 78

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
On windoze it's opera hands down.

I'm sorry but I just don't get the Opera thing. I've tried, I really have. I like using the "hidden jewel" browsers since they aren't targeted for attacks like the more popular browsers but Opera just never ever has been one I can use much.

I know it's individual preference but I just can't get my head around what it has that the others don't.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I'm sorry but I just don't get the Opera thing. I've tried, I really have. I like using the "hidden jewel" browsers since they aren't targeted for attacks like the more popular browsers but Opera just never ever has been one I can use much.

I know it's individual preference but I just can't get my head around what it has that the others don't.

I used to snub opera a few years ago, but as soon as I used it I was a convert, and I understood why this closed source browser had so many friends in the fos community, but then I switched to safari for the sync features.

What is it that you don't like about opera? It's hard to find anything to dislike about it.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
I used to snub opera a few years ago, but as soon as I used it I was a convert, and I understood why this closed source browser had so many friends in the fos community, but then I switched to safari for the sync features.

What is it that you don't like about opera? It's hard to find anything to dislike about it.

Hard to put my finger on it. I've used FF, Safari and Chrome extensively on Mac and FF/Chrome extensively on Windows...when I HAVE to.

Just something about Opera doesn't pull me in at all when I use it. I will say my most recent thing I took notice of is that in the latest 10.50 beta the "smooth scrolling" is far from smooth. Sounds trivial but I've become used to smooth scrolling with my trackpad and magic mouse in OS X.

Caleb531

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
I've tried each of the main browsers (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera).

I found Firefox to be the best of all of them. I live off bookmark keywords, keyword searches, and the Awesome Bar. Not to mention all of the other customization options.

I was actually a little disappointed with Safari. Even with Glims installed, it was still missing a few critical features. I can't assign a keyword to a bookmark, and the address bar search is weak. I can only search page URLs, and I couldn't search within URLs (I can't type "oogle" and see Google in the results.

Chrome has bookmark keywords and search keywords. However, it still doesn't have that same level of customization as Firefox (no about:config to play with).

I found Opera's interface a bit too cluttered, and it doesn't support one of the add-ons I need for browsing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.