Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
London
I can't remember - on past performance, does Apple typically release new betas every two weeks, or do they sometimes go quicker?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Often enough it's been every two weeks, at times it's been even after a week, other times about 3 or more weeks.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
2 weeks is typical, but not always to the day, with occasional 1 and 3 week waits, and more rarely something unpredictable

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
My guess is that the next beta will come the first week of July (with that shiny new Music icon) so everyone can start testing Apple Music regardless of their "latest" iOS version.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I don't remember there ever being a new major version of iOS released for beta at the same time as an older version. So considering they have 8.4 to get ready for the end of this month we may not see an iOS 9 beta 2 for 2-3 weeks. I sure hope not but if rather be surprised than disappointed. My guess is 2-3 weeks from the keynote. My WISH is this Monday or Tuesday.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I don't remember there ever being a new major version of iOS released for beta at the same time as an older version. So considering they have 8.4 to get ready for the end of this month we may not see an iOS 9 beta 2 for 2-3 weeks. I sure hope not but if rather be surprised than disappointed. My guess is 2-3 weeks from the keynote. My WISH is this Monday or Tuesday.
but it's already happened

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
They released 9.0 b1 and 8.4 b4 at the same time...

?
sorry I misunderstood, I thought he meant during the same time frame. I don't really think this rules out anything, nor why it has to jump to 2-3 weeks if it's not on the same day. could be the day after?

kjm18

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2014
Hexham, UK
Hope it comes soon. Battery life on Beta 1 isn't all that great and unfortunately I can't rollback to iOS 8 because I upgraded my Apple watch to 2.0 Beta (which doesn't work with iOS 8).

Done this as well and can't go back to 8.4 so got a battery case from Amazon to use

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
sorry I misunderstood, I thought he meant during the same time frame. I don't really think this rules out anything, nor why it has to jump to 2-3 weeks if it's not on the same day. could be the day after?

Sorry let me clarify. I meant I don't remember last time we had TWO iOS version in beta at the same time.

With two iOS versions in beta status, I imagine the development team is working overtime, especially with the huge new Apple Music app launch. So their resources might be more limited at least until 8.4 ships at the end of this month.

So I was thinking due to limited resources we might see a longer beta 1. But it's just a guess.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Sorry let me clarify. I meant I don't remember last time we had TWO iOS version in beta at the same time.

With two iOS versions in beta status, I imagine the development team is working overtime, especially with the huge new Apple Music app launch. So their resources might be more limited at least until 8.4 ships at the end of this month.

So I was thinking due to limited resources we might see a longer beta 1. But it's just a guess.

Both updates will most likely be pushed on June 30.

Reactions: ianrip

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hope it comes soon. Battery life on Beta 1 isn't all that great and unfortunately I can't rollback to iOS 8 because I upgraded my Apple watch to 2.0 Beta (which doesn't work with iOS 8).
I have upgraded my phone to iOS 9 and NOW!:eek: I cannot update back to iOS 8.4 any beta version any more. :(
However I can update back to iOS 8.4 beta 4 on iPad mini! :eek:
Weird. No way now, except waiting for next beta.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I have upgraded my phone to iOS 9 and NOW!:eek: I cannot update back to iOS 8.4 any beta version any more. :(
However I can update back to iOS 8.4 beta 4 on iPad mini! :eek:
Weird. No way now, except waiting for next beta.

Sure you can, just do a DFU restore. Google it.

Reactions: -BigMac-

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
But what I want is not losing any data stored in my phone. So due to this, I cannot do a restore.
I don't know why iPad mini could downgrade.

You shouldn't actually be using a beta then ....
You can DFU restore, but your iCloud backup will likely fail to restore as its a newer version than your (restored) device will be.

Reactions: Homme and VSMacOne

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You shouldn't actually be using a beta then ....
You can DFU restore, but your iCloud backup will likely fail to restore as its a newer version than your (restored) device will be.
Ha.ha. I know. However since iOS 8.4 gave me really good impression about new music app, while iOS 9 provided so many impressive new functions, I decided to update, and I didn't know iPhone software could not be downgraded through update. I thought this was possible because I downgraded iPad mini software from iOS 9 to iOS 8.4.
OK. I would better charge my phone as long as I have power source. :(

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
I said this in another thread, but I think Beta 2 will be released on 6/22.

Beta 3 to insert Apple Music will release on 6/30.

Then 2 weeks after that, on 7/13 will be Beta 4 and Public Beta 1.

This all keeps in line with Apple's pervious 2 week cycles in the past, but also accounting for Apple Music.

Reactions: kheowkul
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.