Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Not only the mini, I think a Thunderbolt Display with built in GPU will affect the bigger MacBook Pros as well. The 13" will draw more attention and the 15" sales will start to slip. Why get a 15" when you can have the portability and have the graphics.

Thats is exactly my point.

Business model based look - apple wont do that - killing part of more expensive macbooks sales and imac sales

BUT

Customer satisdfaction based look: great argument for apple to implement gpu intu TBD - that would make apples notebooks even more dominant - no other notebook maker will have this comparative advantage.. imagine, Apples notebook - ultra portable, long battery life and at home, almost desktop experience...

Hope apple will consider this and try to innovate once again...

joachimnb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Wow, it certainly started discussion, the talk about GPU in TBD. I am not saying that there is a great amount of possibility that Apple would innovate again and make this, but I am glad that there are others who think this GPU integration would be a great thing. With demand there is some sort of chance for such thing to come.

Even though computers in a few years would be much more powerful in terms of full capability while running an external display, I think that a GPU in the external display would have its place. It can only be a nice supplement which use is relative to the hardware in one's computer. Also, if we are going to see Retina on a bigger scale, such as a 27 inch display, this GPU could be a supplement necessary for years to come.

I thank you for writing Tim if you do so!

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Wow, it certainly started discussion, the talk about GPU in TBD. I am not saying that there is a great amount of possibility that Apple would innovate again and make this, but I am glad that there are others who think this GPU integration would be a great thing. With demand there is some sort of chance for such thing to come.

Even though computers in a few years would be much more powerful in terms of full capability while running an external display, I think that a GPU in the external display would have its place. It can only be a nice supplement which use is relative to the hardware in one's computer. Also, if we are going to see Retina on a bigger scale, such as a 27 inch display, this GPU could be a supplement necessary for years to come.

retina TBD possibly needing a GPU boost is definitely an interesting point! I can hardly imagine an hd4000 being able to handle 27 inches of retina crammed pixels

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011

I did, but still no reply:D tim is probably busy studying this concept:)

----------

retina TBD possibly needing a GPU boost is definitely an interesting point! I can hardly imagine an hd4000 being able to handle 27 inches of retina crammed pixels

Actually, HD4000 is not being able to handle even TBDs actual resolution - mac os x animations are not smooth...

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Regarding the Thunderbolt Display with GPU. I think, like the iPad Mini, the only way this will happen is if 3rd party companies start developing screens with built in GPU to create a market strong enough to crush the Apple Thunderbolt Display. Then, maybe, Apple will create one of their own.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Regarding the Thunderbolt Display with GPU. I think, like the iPad Mini, the only way this will happen is if 3rd party companies start developing screens with built in GPU to create a market strong enough to crush the Apple Thunderbolt Display. Then, maybe, Apple will create one of their own.

though a good point, I can hardly see third party TB displays any time soon, while with integrated GPUs, makes it science-fiction material.

moreover, would Apple licence 3rd party TB display to work with macs?

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
though a good point, I can hardly see third party TB displays any time soon, while with integrated GPUs, makes it science-fiction material.

moreover, would Apple licence 3rd party TB display to work with macs?

I'm just saying, for thundbolt display to have GPU, they would need competitors, or it's highly unlikely they'll do it...

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I'm just saying, for thundbolt display to have GPU, they would need competitors, or it's highly unlikely they'll do it...

and that is very sad commentary... apple should push for next big thing

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
I don't see a TBD with integrated GPU happening. While having the HD4000 drive the TBD may be a little shaky for gaming and graphics intensive applications, it's doable for a lot of people. Intel Haswell with HD4600 is due in a few months and should offer a decent GPU performance boost, allowing Apple's non-pro(Most don't consider the 13" MBP to really be a 'Pro' machine) lineup to drive the TBD more smoothly.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
and that is very sad commentary... apple should push for next big thing

When has apple ever? I got the idea that apple doesn't really make a push into uncharted territory. It always waits for things to establish first, LTE case in point.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
When has apple ever? I got the idea that apple doesn't really make a push into uncharted territory. It always waits for things to establish first, LTE case in point.

funny sentiment that one

they do make it seem as if they are actually innovating

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I don't see a TBD with integrated GPU happening. While having the HD4000 drive the TBD may be a little shaky for gaming and graphics intensive applications, it's doable for a lot of people. Intel Haswell with HD4600 is due in a few months and should offer a decent GPU performance boost, allowing Apple's non-pro(Most don't consider the 13" MBP to really be a 'Pro' machine) lineup to drive the TBD more smoothly.

Hopong next intel gpu will be finally ok is silly, they promised wonders with 3000, 4000 and they will every next time

----------

If ypu say that apple never brought next big thing, there wont be any serious discussion with you

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Apple has often innovated in consumer PCs. They were (one of) the first to adopt as standard items like the 3.5" floppy drive, USB, CD and DVD burners, SCSI, FireWire, ThunderBolt, etc.

The reason Apple didn't go with LTE with the iPhone 4/4S body is that it would have had to be thicker and heavier both to accommodate the chipset and a larger battery to power it.

Because the iPhone 5 uses later-generation LTE chipsets that are smaller and more power-efficient, the iPhone 5 is thinner and lighter than the iPhone 4 - much less an iPhone 4 that was thicker and heavier

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Apple has often innovated in consumer PCs. They were (one of) the first to adopt as standard items like the 3.5" floppy drive, USB, CD and DVD burners, SCSI, FireWire, ThunderBolt, etc.

The reason Apple didn't go with LTE with the iPhone 4/4S body is that it would have had to be thicker and heavier both to accommodate the chipset and a larger battery to power it.

Because the iPhone 5 uses later-generation LTE chipsets that are smaller and more power-efficient, the iPhone 5 is thinner and lighter than the iPhone 4 - much less an iPhone 4 that was thicker and heavier

LTE was really just an example I thought about on the fly, don't dwell on it.

If ypu say that apple never brought next big thing, there wont be any serious discussion with you

I have no idea what This means.

funny sentiment that one

they do make it seem as if they are actually innovating

Yeah, the idea is pretty much brainwashed into people. I think it happens a lot in their advertisements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.